+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Common Opinion About Germanic Heritage in England?

Last Online
    Sunday, August 19th, 2012 @ 08:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Austrian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Austria Austria
    State
    Lower Austria Lower Austria
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Common Opinion About Germanic Heritage in England?

I'm interested how most English people feel about there germanic heritage. Does the majority know that English is a germanic language? Do they feel more related to Germany than France, e.g.?

I'm interested in the general English opionion, not those of germanic preservationists. Because in Germany, the Netherlands and Scandinavia most people know that their heritage is predominantly germanic, regardless of their political background.

But is there also a general "feeling" in England of belonging to the germanic group or do the people think they are predominantly celtic, romanian, completely different or anything else?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 @ 01:30 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Ænglisc
    Subrace
    Borreby
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hildebrandt View Post
    I'm interested how most English people feel about there germanic heritage. Does the majority know that English is a germanic language? Do they feel more related to Germany than France, e.g.?
    Nope, mainly because are not taught about it here. People do see that there is a little bit of similarity between English and German language wise (that's only if German is taught in their schools however). I don't think it would be outlandish for me to say most English people are ignorant to the background of English language and early English history. Most of the people I have talked to feel that generally the English have more in common with the Dutch, and there is more of a 'dislike' for France than there is for Germany but obviously the wars didn't do anything for Anglo-German relations but taint what was previously a good thing.

I'm interested in the general English opionion, not those of germanic preservationists. Because in Germany, the Netherlands and Scandinavia most people know that their heritage is predominantly germanic, regardless of their political background.
    I feel that in general, the English no longer have any identity, more and more people are becoming more Americanised (not that I have anything against Americans of course). I think the majority of English people don't know who they are. I would bet that a LOT of people my age don't know who Anglo-Saxons (I for one can't remember being taught about them at school, apart from when we were being taught about the Battle of Hastings). I would say however that a lot of people would class themselves as 'Anglo', but not specifically Germanic. Leftists call themselves British and go on about the fact that most of the English population is made up of all kinds of exotic people (because we all know that Anglo-Saxons and the odd Viking, Norman and Celt are all so foreign from each other )

But is there also a general "feeling" in England of belonging to the germanic group or do the people think they are predominantly celtic, romanian, completely different or anything else?
    Like I said in the previous paragraph, people usually class themselves as English/Anglo or British. However, it's pretty common that if someone has a non-English parent or Grandparent they will adopt their nationality (i.e. 'oh my great-granddad is Irish therefore I am also'). For my generation I'd say knowledge of who 'we' are is lacking considerably. Sad but true. No one seems to want to be identified as English.
    Engle & Seaxe up becoman,
    ofer brad brimu Brytene sohtan,
    wlance wigsmiþas, Weealas ofercoman,
    eorlas arhwate eard begeatan.

Last Online
    Sunday, June 20th, 2021 @ 09:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    National Capitalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    In general, no.

Historically those in charge of the education system were the better educated children of the upper classes. As a result of which, until the 19th century, English history was taught as having only really begun when the Normans invaded in 1066, bringing "civilisation" from France with them. Centuries of this attempt to ignore the majority of the English people's heritage has disconnected the modern English people from any sense of kinship with other Germanics.

As a whole, we tend to see ourselves as an island people differerent from all the nations of mainland Europe. Although i still feel there is an underlying mistrust of southern and eastern Europeans that isn't there for the Germanic nations.
    I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger.
    I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night.
    Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power!
    I AM BEOWULF!

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 07:28 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    north-western europe
    Ancestry
    norway,denmark,britain
    Subrace
    Mainly Hallstatt Nordid,
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    blacksmith
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bæny View Post
    Nope, mainly because are not taught about it here.
    One of the reasons i decided to drop out of history classes last year at school, i looked at the plan for the year and it only contained American history from around 1910 to around 1970, and all the time i sat in that class i was told how America kept being abused by Europe. Nothing even about Europe pre-1910.

Our education is now about the grades you will get not the quality or amount you learn, from year 2 your warned constantly of your year 3 exams, from year 4 your warned constantly of your year 6 exams, from year 6 your warned constantly of your year 9 exams, from year 9 your warned constantly of GCSE exams then college and university. I haven't learnt the German language i have learnt how to get a C or B German grade.

But some primary schools are realising this some of the time, i now do a viking
    forge demo for a local school through work

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 09:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Englisc/Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    English Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Despite my age [65] I was, as some of the above posters have said not aware of my Germanic past. All we were taught at School was basically from 1066 onwards. I have in the last 2 years found out a lot more about our Germanic roots, and realise how much successive Governments have rammed the "British" Identity down our throats, especially English People, the Scots/ Welsh and Irish have been given free reign to proclaim their identity, but the English have been forced to swallow a British Identity. That is becoming something a lot of English people have woken up to, probably as a result of the Scottish drive for Independence. The Labour Party have been more instrumental in denying an English Identity than any of the other mainstream Parties with their infiltration of the Educational system. We have, IMO lost a couple of generations who actually know who the hell they are in England. This is something all of us on forums such as this have a duty to re-educate all their Family and friend about.

+ Reply to Thread