Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just wait until you reach Sovengarde (the Nord version of Valhalla) and have to cross the whale-bridge in to the massive drinking hall of the champions. That level sent chills down my spine And the musical score is just amazing. I am not going to mention the number of hours I have put into this game (it would just be embarrassing ), but I can say that I have beaten about 95% of the game and I have to say that I am completely impressed.

I haven't played the game yet, how did they handle the whole Stormcloaks wanting to get rid of the non-nords issue? Because the last thing I would want to deal with in such a fantasy game with a european/nordic setting would be non-white immigration and being lectured in a PC manner about the evils of racism.

I'm quite skeptical about such topics being injected into games now, as this constant PC indoctrination already made a lot of Hollywood movies unbearable. It looks as if they're now trying to do the same with the games market as gaming got too big.
    Actually, the game does not force you to choose one side or another, and the Stormcloaks are not depicted as overly "evil" or like some-kind of PC caricature of "racist Nordic people". If anything I think the game is more biased in favor of the Stormcloaks because their leaders and main characters all have well-reasoned and rational arguments for why Skyrim should break free from the Empire. The Imperials, on the other hand, are quite obviously under the thumb of a sinister group of elves called the "Thalmor" who hate humans and who control the Empire through a secret cabal (sound familar?). Also, the Imperial leaders look down on the native Nords and will often say insulting things to Nordic characters, even if you join their side.

In fact, Skyrim's treatment of race has received a fair amount of criticism from the left-wing wackjobs of the internet, who argue that the game is "racist" because it acts like race is a real thing (because as any good Marxist knows, race is an artificial construct of capitalist systems ) and it gives the Redguards (the blacks of the elder scrolls game world) a racial disadvantage to wisdom or intelligence (incidentally the Nords have the same disadvantage, both because they are not magically inclined groups). Here is an article that sums up this idiotic line of marxist criticism:

http://bitmob.com/articles/understan...cism-in-skyrim

Here is another one that will really piss you off, "Minority Gamer" basically draws parallels between the Stormcloaks of the game and white-power site Stormfront.

http://minoritygamer.com/archives/388
    Last edited by OnePercent; Monday, August 6th, 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling error

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have played some Skyrim and watched friends complete the game. (The game is actually never completed: When you finish both the Main Quest and the Civil War a few pieces of dialogue will change but the game simply continues).

As for the main plot, I believe the game deliberately sought to make both sides morally ambivalent, so that the player can freely choose either side and interpret his or her involvement with them as he or she pleases:

The Stormcloaks appear to be a lot more popular. Most of them do appear to be motivated by a genuine desire to free their country and their religion from outside influence and are a compelling bunch of people in general. However, among their sympathizers are also drunken idiots who throw wild accusations at any non-Nords and one of the Stormcloak Jarls is an old man who irrationally claims that a Stormcloak victory is inevitable because Talos (Skyrim's Odin) is on their side and he neglects the security of his own realm and sends more of his forces then he can spare to the front, believing that everything will sort itself out on its own.
    When Whiterun is captured by Stormcloaks, a pro-Imperial Nord family has their home ransacked and their fortunes stolen by a anti-Imperial Nord family while non-Nords in the city apparently resume their normal lives. It gives you the impression that many Stormcloaks are rather indifferent towards the overall objective of freeing Skyrim of non-Nords and are instead taking the opportunity to settle old grudges.

The Imperials are given a bad start as the game begins with the player being unjustly captured by them and sentenced to death. During the first hour of gameplay the player will even travel through an Imperial torture chamber! "Keeping the peace", indeed...
    It is also true as mentioned that many Imperial officers are condescending towards Nords and their culture. The player will also experience a pro-Imperial Nord merchant who is perfectly clear about the fact that he sees his support of the Empire mostly as a prudent financial investment.
    However, many pro-Imperial Jarls are more positive characters and see Skyrim as having an important role to play in the Empire. The second-in-command of the Imperial Legion in Skyrim is a Nord and many Nords are enlisted members of the Legion. Many pro-Imperial Jarls argue that the Stormcloaks are accomplishing nothing more than causing disunity among the races of Men, to the great joy and advantage of the Mer (Elves).

Essentially, I was surprised by how mature and sophisticated the plot actually is. However, I also got the clear impression that the Main Plot deliberately avoids decisively settling anything because there has to be room for expansion packs and downloadable content, which is a great disappointment.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathendom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich Harrer View Post
    I haven't played the game yet, how did they handle the whole Stormcloaks wanting to get rid of the non-nords issue?
    Having played the game with characters on both sides I would say that the most it is being brought up in that sometimes Nord npc's scream "Skyrim is for the Nords" during battle. And if a city is taken by the Stormcloaks non-Nords shopkeepers talk about they are getting less business because Stormcloaks do not want to do business with them. Besides Talos shrines being reinstated, like in Solitude where in the temple of the Divines the shrine of Talos is restored.

It seems more to do with religion and the imperial government being perceived as puppets of the Altmeri Dominion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindig_og_stoisk View Post
    I have played some Skyrim and watched friends complete the game. (The game is actually never completed: When you finish both the Main Quest and the Civil War a few pieces of dialogue will change but the game simply continues).
    Which is actually a bit weak. Since after you have beaten Alduin the story of the dragonborn should be over. Since that is basically the A-plot and the civil war being the B-plot. Also it seems they have put very little effort in creating really different ways the story could go between start and end. In large lines it will remain the same.

However, among their sympathizers are also drunken idiots who throw wild accusations at any non-Nords
    Which should not be hold against the Stormcloaks. Also the second in command of the Legion in Skyrim is not fully trusted by her soldiers because they suspect she might be sympathetic with Ulfric.

and one of the Stormcloak Jarls is an old man who irrationally claims that a Stormcloak victory is inevitable because Talos (Skyrim's Odin)
    He is not really their version of Odin .

is on their side and he neglects the security of his own realm and sends more of his forces then he can spare to the front, believing that everything will sort itself out on its own.
    In the believe that a best defense is good offense. And also if you talk to the head of Rorikville you get to hear that so many soldiers have been send to the front lines that are not enough left to protect the small towns or deal with bandits. And they fall under the jarl of Whiterun.

Also the Empire basically installs a female crime lord in Riften after taking it. and of the other imperial jarls seems to be more obsessed with her visions then with governing.

When Whiterun is captured by Stormcloaks, a pro-Imperial Nord family has their home ransacked and their fortunes stolen by a anti-Imperial Nord family while non-Nords in the city apparently resume their normal lives.
    If I remember correctly they state that is only a matter of time before they will be robbed clean. And they do not say anything about their house being looted. The head of their rival family does become the new jarl however.

The Imperials are given a bad start as the game begins with the player being unjustly captured by them and sentenced to death. During the first hour of gameplay the player will even travel through an Imperial torture chamber! "Keeping the peace", indeed...
    Actually pretty normal in pre-modern days. Also if you read the books you discover how Ulfric put down the forsworn rebellion. Makes that one torture-room pale in context.

The second-in-command of the Imperial Legion in Skyrim is a Nord and many Nords are enlisted members of the Legion.
    And like I said before she not fully trusted. It would be only a matter of time before she gets on the wrong kind of attention from a Thalmor justicar.

Many pro-Imperial Jarls argue that the Stormcloaks are accomplishing nothing more than causing disunity among the races of Men, to the great joy and advantage of the Mer (Elves).
    It seems more like they want the civil war to continue so it would make sure that the empire would have keep on devoting resources in putting down the rebellion. A stormcloak victory is actually seen as undesirable by them. And if the Stormcloaks take Markath the local Thalmor leader is killed off screen.

Essentially, I was surprised by how mature and sophisticated the plot actually is. However, I also got the clear impression that the Main Plot deliberately avoids decisively settling anything because there has to be room for expansion packs and downloadable content, which is a great disappointment.
    Yeah, they could have put more effort in the how the story plays out for different characters, instead of only minor differences at best.
    The sense of honor is of so fine and delicate a nature that
    it is only to be met with in minds which are naturally noble or
    cultivated by good examples and a refined education.
    - Sir Richard Steele

Last Online
    Friday, October 14th, 2016 @ 12:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celt
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Youth
    Occupation
    Law student
    Politics
    Conservative, Nationalist
    Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    An updated version of Skyrim is coming to PC and current gen consoles in October

https://youtu.be/pF2Qw9BI6Rg?t=198

Nice, but I hope they don't charge full price for what you can get for free if you have the right mods.

I guess this is a stopgap between Skyrim and the next Elder Scrolls, perhaps to be revealed next year. I wonder what the theme of the next one - I don't think people will accept a rather generic world like Oblivion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12