Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I’ve noticed that too. The internet seems to be teeming with people who disprove the validity of IQ tests altogether with their poor spelling and lack of sentence structure. Why do they do it? They probably just want to feel important. They want to deceive others, but especially themselves, if only for a short moment by pretending to be more smart than they actually are. In reality, these people are probably just average or barely above average. Genuinely smart people almost never brag, and when they do it only appears that way to lesser minds.

I've never had my IQ tested and I don’t intend get it tested either. Given that I am utterly pathetic at taking tests my money would be spent for naught. I’ll let my accomplishments speak for themselves, which are few outside my mastering a language all on my own and finishing my bachelors in 2.5 instead of 4 years with a mere B average. I guess I'm a mere average mind, and I’m not the most confident person in the world, but I am confident in my intelligence nevertheless. I know I can get things done when I need to and that’s all that matters to me. I do not feel compelled to lie.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    I’ve noticed that too. The internet seems to be teeming with people who disprove the validity of IQ tests altogether with their poor spelling and lack of sentence structure.
    Spelling and sentence structure has very little to do with intelligence. I have known a few folks that were struggling in school due to having a high level of intelligence accompanied by dyslexia. In some cases, only their exceptional ability in chess betrayed their intellect.

Why do they do it? They probably just want to feel important. They want to deceive others, but especially themselves, if only for a short moment by pretending to be more smart than they actually are. In reality, these people are probably just average or barely above average.
    So if a virtuous guitar player brags about playing guitar well, he is likely to be "probably just average or barely above average" in his playing? If a fast runner brags that he is quick, is he barely faster than a snail? I don't see why different standards should be applied to innate intellect.

Of course it is always a question of what you make of it, but there may well be cases where people find that their intellect is their only source of pride, much as it may be being a good sportsman may be for others; are you going to take it away from them?

Genuinely smart people almost never brag, and when they do it only appears that way to lesser minds.
    Bragging is a Germanic tradition, full stop. I have grown up surrounded by braggarts, and I am still surrounded by braggarts. Such is life.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Spelling and sentence structure has very little to do with intelligence. I have known a few folks that were struggling in school due to having a high level of intelligence accompanied by dyslexia. In some cases, only their exceptional ability in chess betrayed their intellect.
    True, there are otherwise intelligent people with shortcomings of this sort, but their command of logic and their original ideas betray their intelligence even in their most inelegant writing. The people I was referring to are in a different category. They have a very simple approach to communicating their very simple ideas, often with use of frequent grammatical errors. They're not retards, but they surely don't sound like they're at the level they claim to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    So if a virtuous guitar player brags about playing guitar well, he is likely to be "probably just average or barely above average" in his playing? If a fast runner brags that he is quick, is he barely faster than a snail? I don't see why different standards should be applied to innate intellect.
    The difference is there is concrete proof: recordings of the music or times written down by a coach. I have no problem with people affirming the truth. Online it's a different story, I can say my IQ is anything I want it to be. I can claim it to be 103, 130 or 195.

Of course it is always a question of what you make of it, but there may well be cases where people find that their intellect is their only source of pride, much as it may be being a good sportsman may be for others; are you going to take it away from them?
    That's fine. Some people are genuine. I'm not saying they're all attention seekers.

Bragging is a Germanic tradition, full stop. I have grown up surrounded by braggarts, and I am still surrounded by braggarts. Such is life.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 5th, 2012 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Predominantly Swedish with some Norwegian ancestry.
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Vastergotland Vastergotland
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Network technician
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CruxClaire View Post
    I've noticed that most people, at least regular internet uses, seem to view themselves as very intelligent. For example, I viewed a Yahoo! Answers post in which the poster asked "Do you consider yourself to be inteligent[sic]?" and all ten of the people who answered claimed to be intelligent. I've also noticed lots of people walking around saying they have ridiculously high IQs, like in the 150+ range. Are there really that many intelligent people lurking around the internet, are they purposely lying/trolling, or do they perceive themselves as more intelligent than they actually are?

If the latter is the case, it could be a result of something called the Dunning-Kruger effect, where unskilled/untalented/unintelligent people consider themselves to be more skilled than they actually are, whereas the most skilled underrate their abilities. However, this effect was much stronger in Americans than in Europeans, and seemed to reverse itself in East Asians (source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect)

What do you think affects they ways people view the intelligence of themselves and of others? Do you place higher weight on IQ, on other people's assurances of your intelligence, on personal success, or on other factors?

My personal perception of my intelligence is rather muddled, probably due in part to my insecurities about it. Intelligence is, next to loyalty, what I value most, and I want very much to feel like I would be justified in counting myself among the ranks of people with strong minds. I don't place an incredibly high weight on IQ, in part because studies have showed that IQ as an indicator of success probably caps off around 120, but I have to wonder if my lack of stock in IQ might have something to do with my disappointment with my own score (137, according to two professionally administered tests I took when I was 11). I want to feel smart, but with all these apparent geniuses lurking around the internet, I feel that it would be too arrogant and dishonest to call myself very intelligent.

Intelligence is perhaps one of the least understood cognitive functions of ours. And the reason i say it is because the knowledge surrounding intelligence, to borrow a word of yours is, muddled. Even amongst those ranks of the strong minded, who people are supposed to look up to as being intelligent in excess who are conducting all the experiments and tests are coming out with some really bizarre theories and suggestions how to increase or stimulate intelligence. Like playing mozart to infants who are still in the growth stage, or for children to listen to daily, not to mention all the games and structured lectures and programs with the aim of improving their cognitive abilities. All of these kind of pseudosciences have led ordinary people in their turn to view IQ scores in an almost reverential light. What is least talked about between people is EQ (Emotional intelligence). Which is find to be fascinating and equally disturbing.

As we all know, IQ and EQ and these kind of terms are all contrived. Merely attempts by people to measure some specific ability in other people. The main feature of any IQ test is resting on logical conclusions where the most commonly used way is those by MENSA. Which are basically consisting of dots arranged in a certain pattern, and the test subject is supposed to be able to figure out in the head how these dots are moving along from one picture to the next. Other tests include geometrical figures, mathmatics and logical questions. EQ tests relies on honest answers to moral and ethical questions, what one would do IF/or not do in certain social situations and things like that. And all of these kind of Logical/Psychological methods that are used are just fine for figuring out how a person is dealing with whatever exotic problems they are subjected to. Fine and interesting as far as studying people is concerned, but in the end it doesn't amount to anything.

The most interesting question to raise is how IQ is percieved by people and what their attitude towards it is. It doesn't seem to be healthy for anyone in the world to treat it as some sort of a measure of their self worth, wether their scores are high or low. What exactly is it that a high IQ really does for a person aside from being a number on a piece of paper ?. I know that the attitude by people who settle for being told what IQ is by the scientific community thinks; That a person with a higher than normal, or extraordinary IQ score must be a current or future vessel of knowledge and wisdom.

Personally i found that no person whatever IQ they happens to have, is given to be any better or good than anyone else - which happens to be the trait that we really should value the most before anything else. Wisdom for one thing never arrives to any person whatever IQ score they may posess unless they seek to improve themselves by keeping their mind vigorous through thought and consideration. As i say, it is the attitude towards IQ that i find to be the most important thing to pay attention to as soon as people start to talk about it. For the attitude towards IQ can staunt a persons growth in two completely different ways. Far too many people seem to think that a number on a paper means something profound, whilst someone else thinks that they shrink in comparison to other people. When in both cases their attitudes towards it makes them into what they consider themselves to be, with the result that everyone who listens to them will not hear wise people but fools.

At least it is my belief that anyone who aspires to becoming smart or wise to any degree, must work on it in the same way as Demosthenes according to Plutarch when he wrote "Hence it was, that he was looked upon as a person of no great natural genius, but one who owed all the power and ability he had in speaking to labor and industry."

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 07:22 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    European-American, mostly Germanic
    Subrace
    Reduced Borreby
    Country
    Family
    single adult
    Occupation
    College student
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A professional once told my parents my cognitive functioning and attention span is about average, but that I am exceedingly intelligent in other ways (ie. that I think in an extremely detailed way). And this professional did NOT (lol) want to feed my ego so it wasn't to boost my self esteem. It could have been to make the parents feel better about my situation though but I am told they were very persistent and shocked about it so maybe it had some value to the truth.

I percieve my ego and self confidence as the good or excellent being able to do pretty much anything, which can be a dangerous way of percieving yourself I suppose that is cut off from your feelings. So as you can imagine, I often feel pretty down on myself without being consciously aware, because there are a lot of things I struggle with. I pick on what I can't do, not what I can and I don't believe it's something I can change because of my spirited nature. Subconsciously, life has always been an endless battle and it does feel tiring so I try to ignore my feelings.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 10:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Ancestry
    Predominately Frisian
    Country
    Frisia Frisia
    State
    Frisia Frisia
    Married
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    People always overestimate their own intelligence.

I think it takes intelligence to recognize intelligence, and that stupid people grossly underestimate the intelligence of others.

If you are stupid, you will be wise in your own eyes and imagine that everyone else is stupid. A smart person will consider another persons intelligence and learn from it.

Last Online
    Monday, September 2nd, 2019 @ 10:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    British-German
    Subrace
    Nordid-Cromagnid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Throne and Altar
    Religion
    Aryajnana
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    While Socrates may not have actually said this, it is nonetheless a piece of traditional wisdom associated with him that all those who profess to be intelligent would do well to learn:

"I know that I know nothing."

As others have stated, people generally overestimate their own intelligence, and intellectual arrogance is among the most detestable traits I can think of. The worst is when someone who isn't even that intelligent displays intellectual arrogance; I often don't know whether to pity them or despise them. These individuals would do well to learn and incorporate into their lives what St. Bernard of Clairvaux considered the three most important virtues: "humility, humility, and humility." It is one of the reasons I dislike most atheists, because like it or not many atheists are extremely haughty and assured of their superior intelligence and rational capabilities (though of course not all conduct themselves in this way.)

There is also a difference between intelligence and wisdom. A man of extreme intelligence, that is the functioning power of his intellect, could be very unwise, whereas a man of lesser intelligence may be extremely wise. For example, a word of Truth or a word that draws others closer to the Truth from a man with an IQ of 90 would be superior to a word of untruth uttered from a man with an IQ of 170.

It seems to me that there is truth in the saying that there are different kinds of intelligence, with logical and mathematical intelligence being just one type. There is also creative intelligence, social intelligence, and divergent thinking worth taking into consideration when considering the overall intelligence of a man.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2012 @ 02:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I noticed that many people very good at abstract thinking with extreme knowledge of i.e. math , are devoid of pedagogic skills, of ability to get into one's shoes, and explain in a familiar way twisted mathematics or other abstract sciences.
    It's about most of PhDs in a certain age.
    it seems they emotional inteligence is not developed well, and I think that maybe this fact let them became great in such abstract sciences, which need focusing on some microworld not related with people much.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 03:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Irish, German, Polish, Scottish, English
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Center-left
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some of you have referred to different types of intelligence (i.e. creative intelligence, emotional intelligence, verbal intelligence, etc.). I wonder if there's a specific type of intelligence that makes one good at, say, academics and test-taking. I was thinking about it today, that I know several people who take the hardest possible classes in my high school and do well in everything, getting excellent scores on tests and projects. However, some of these people don't come across to me as intelligent in the least bit when I've actually had conversations with them. I imagine hard work has a lot to do with their phenomenal scores, but since lots of hard-working people don't do that well in school, I wonder if there are other traits/qualities that go into their success, or exactly how intelligent one must be to make one successful (assuming one works hard).
    Leben heißt für mich, mehr Träume in meiner Seele zu haben als die Realität zerstören kann.
    -Hans Kruppa

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Lowlands
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CruxClaire View Post
    Some of you have referred to different types of intelligence (i.e. creative intelligence, emotional intelligence, verbal intelligence, etc.). I wonder if there's a specific type of intelligence that makes one good at, say, academics and test-taking. I was thinking about it today, that I know several people who take the hardest possible classes in my high school and do well in everything, getting excellent scores on tests and projects. However, some of these people don't come across to me as intelligent in the least bit when I've actually had conversations with them. I imagine hard work has a lot to do with their phenomenal scores, but since lots of hard-working people don't do that well in school, I wonder if there are other traits/qualities that go into their success, or exactly how intelligent one must be to make one successful (assuming one works hard).
    Two types of people are able to scale to the top of the academic climbing frame in high school. First is the tediously diligent, hard working, obedient, study-hard-even-on-a-Friday-night-er who'll reach its not-so-dizzying heights with a sweat and feel accomplished. Second, the academically lazy but intellectually capital fellow who's naturally adept at dismantling the mechanics of whatever he's dropped into and playing it to his advantage. He knows exactly what people are looking for, knows how rote and unimportant the business is, and proffers it without wasting energy toiling through the piffle and gristle that holds up his blunter peers. This one rises fleetsome and sits bored at the summit feeling cheated out of time by the obvious pointlessness of the climb. He will take from his school years only a slightly refined ability to bullshit his way through the rest of his life and get further doing that than those who think it's hard and, worse than that, who approach it like it actually matters.

People who have to, or more sickeningly, want to work hard for something not of their own creation are not creatures of great intellectual meat, whatever their other qualities.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast