Center-left
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People's Perceptions of Their Intelligence

I've noticed that most people, at least regular internet uses, seem to view themselves as very intelligent. For example, I viewed a Yahoo! Answers post in which the poster asked "Do you consider yourself to be inteligent[sic]?" and all ten of the people who answered claimed to be intelligent. I've also noticed lots of people walking around saying they have ridiculously high IQs, like in the 150+ range. Are there really that many intelligent people lurking around the internet, are they purposely lying/trolling, or do they perceive themselves as more intelligent than they actually are?

If the latter is the case, it could be a result of something called the Dunning-Kruger effect, where unskilled/untalented/unintelligent people consider themselves to be more skilled than they actually are, whereas the most skilled underrate their abilities. However, this effect was much stronger in Americans than in Europeans, and seemed to reverse itself in East Asians (source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect)

What do you think affects they ways people view the intelligence of themselves and of others? Do you place higher weight on IQ, on other people's assurances of your intelligence, on personal success, or on other factors?

My personal perception of my intelligence is rather muddled, probably due in part to my insecurities about it. Intelligence is, next to loyalty, what I value most, and I want very much to feel like I would be justified in counting myself among the ranks of people with strong minds. I don't place an incredibly high weight on IQ, in part because studies have showed that IQ as an indicator of success probably caps off around 120, but I have to wonder if my lack of stock in IQ might have something to do with my disappointment with my own score (137, according to two professionally administered tests I took when I was 11). I want to feel smart, but with all these apparent geniuses lurking around the internet, I feel that it would be too arrogant and dishonest to call myself very intelligent.
    Leben heißt für mich, mehr Träume in meiner Seele zu haben als die Realität zerstören kann.
    -Hans Kruppa

Last Online
    Friday, June 22nd, 2018 @ 10:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Lowland Scots, Pennsylvania German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Married
    Occupation
    Pixels
    Politics
    Public Lands Libertarian
    Religion
    Gnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    IQ, has it's place... I'm a 135 -137, whenever I get tested, but sadly, the key to success among Humans is sociability, your 137 will enable you to get a few strokes and brownie points when your "wow" some plebe after solving the problem... but just remember, those butt kissing tools will move ahead, based upon their "sociability"... you must have heard that warning back in Elementary School.
    Last edited by Bernhard; Sunday, January 29th, 2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 03:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Irish, German, Polish, Scottish, English
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Center-left
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammish View Post
    IQ, has it's place... I'm a 135 -137, whenever I get tested, but sadly, the key to success among Humans is sociability, your 137 will enable you to get a few strokes and brownie points when your "wow" some plebe after solving the problem... but just remember, those butt kissing tools will move ahead, based upon their "sociability"... you must have heard that warning back in Elementary School.
    I'm not sociable. I'm introverted and would rather read a book than go to a party, and I generally keep to myself. Actually, I've applied for 15 or so menial jobs, and they've all rejected me, and I suspect it might have been the personality tests they administered that hammered in the nails of the coffin of my employability; they don't want introverts in the American working world, apparently regardless of intelligence, if the idiots I often encounter at shop counters are any indication.
    Leben heißt für mich, mehr Träume in meiner Seele zu haben als die Realität zerstören kann.
    -Hans Kruppa

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Norse
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    'Very intelligent' is relative. What % of people do you suppose have an IQ of 137? Not many. If you want to call yourself intelligent, go for it.

You're still a growing teenager. I assume IQ tests at young ages scale with age, so while your relative IQ next to your peers may stay near 137, your brain will continue to grow until you are 23 and your absolute intelligence will increase. I've only recently reached my maximal brain power.

This thread is just tempting me to discard all shreds of modesty and brag. While I've never taken a formal IQ test, unlike those other jokers on the Internet that claim to be intelligent, I actually am intelligent.

The following are not perfect indications of intelligence since ambition and dedication were involved, but there's really nothing better other than a formal IQ test. Commence the bragging! I was well within the top 7% GPA of my university my junior year with what I considered the minimal acceptable effort, so I was accepted then into Phi Kappa Phi (a national university honor society) instead of my senior year (which required top 12%). I would occasionally score 100's in genetics, economics, or other science classes some of my peers would struggle to pass. I would often be a couple dozen percent above the average, and never at the average. (Even in pharmacy school, I'm typically 15 percent above the average. And the harder the class, the higher I am above the average. ) I graduated with a bachelor of science in biomedical sciences with honors and Phi Kappa Phi then took a bit over a year off to do what I wanted to do more of since a long time and feed my addiction: stay home and play video games! I suppose I could have done other fun things like traveling but money was an issue.

December 2010 I decided I had enough time off and spontaneously signed up for the Pharmacy College Admission Test. I spent the month of January reading an entire PCAT textbook an average of 9 hours per day. Joining Skadi and my dedication to the profession of pharmacy are intertwined in that same month of personal history. I took the PCAT on January 28th and scored a 97th percentile overall, with a 99th (the highest) percentile in chemistry. I regret that the last section was quantitative and I started to suffer a sugar low during the last part four hour test, so I only scored a 75th percentile in that section, which brought down my overall score. I hadn't had a math class in years and I was rusty in calculus, so anyway...

I applied to only one pharmacy school here in Florida and knew I would be accepted, and not as an alternate. I've been here for a semester and am still leading the bell curve. I set the curve by several points in biochemistry (I got a 100, 100+ students got less. ) when I thought the exams were going to be hard, but after that I started to approach them more relaxed. I ended up in the top 6% but not #1 (out of over 100) at the end of the semester because I got one B in general healthcare, a class that's not hard, but bored me to no end. Booo....

I recently gave myself a fair estimate of 30% more intelligent than the average American university student, and this is coming from someone who underestimates himself and does not claim ability to do something unless he knows it to be absolutely true. That would put me at an IQ of 143, 1.3 times 110 (average American university student IQ).

I gave my video game addiction mostly up about the time I chose pharmacy and replaced it with something more constructive: Skadi. So now you get to enjoy my intelligent contributions to Skadi! Bottom line: I may not be a savant child, but I'm smart. That is if you believe everything I just typed. Would you trust me with your life-critical meds? Wouldja? Huh, huh, huh? (You can wait until after I graduate with flying colors, of course.)

This was a good opportunity to brag and maybe my Skadi friends learned a little more about me, other than my ostentatious bragging abilities.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 03:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Irish, German, Polish, Scottish, English
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Center-left
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosomal Viking View Post
    This thread is just tempting me to discard all shreds of modesty and brag. While I've never taken a formal IQ test, unlike those other jokers on the Internet that claim to be intelligent, I actually am intelligent.
    Based on your post, I would infer that you perceive/validate your intelligence through personal accomplishments and evidence of success as much as you do with IQ or test scores in general, and maybe more.
    -Hans Kruppa

Last Online
    Thursday, August 22nd, 2019 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    American of Northwestern European descent
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Sweden, Colonial America, Luxemburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I can think of a few reasons as to why you get a lot of people on the internet claiming they're intelligent.

1. People who post on the internet are smarter than average.
    2. Selection bias. Dumb people aren't going to go around telling everyone about their low IQ score. Only those with something to brag about will brag.
    3. People lie on the internet.

#3 is the big one. If there's one difference I've noticed between real life and online social interaction it's that the anonymity of online interaction gives people free reign to make up whatever they want.

I'm a shark attack survivor and my IQ's over 200. Oh yeah, and I'm huge with biceps bigger than your thighs. Wanna fight?

Seriously though, I've never gotten the obsession with IQ. Chances are, if you're looking for validation of your intelligence through a test, you're probably not all that smart. If someone tells me what their IQ is, no matter how high, I'm not impressed because a) they're probably embellishing it; and b) they're obviously insecure about their intelligence.

On the original topic, people overvaluing their intelligence is a very real phenomenon. In fact, it seems to be a general rule that people think they're the most awesome person ever in the history of the universe. Everything in most people's existence seems to be complete evidence that they are the absolute best amalgamation of matter to have ever occupied time and space. Everything they experience is total confirmation bias of their own greatness, in other words.

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    People with higher IQ test results are more likely to share them, so this may be a factor in your perception that a disproportionately large number of people online claim to have a high IQ. Some people surely lie about it, but there are lots of people out there who do not. There may be a problem with inferior tests that give inflated scores, especially internet based ones, so that could be a factor as well.

I don't base my intelligence upon achievement. Why should I? They are two separate things. I am more of a Mycroft than a Sherlock... I dislike authority and am rather antisocial, so I am not a high achiever. Furthermore, my strengths are rather more verbal than mathematical, so that shuts me out of professions like medicine and engineering, where I could get away with being antisocial and still be an achiever. If I had been more driven (or my family richer,) I would probably have gone to law school and done well enough. I wouldn't have been a trial attorney though, since I dislike arguing with annoying people. But anyhow..

I've taken three IQ tests, all during my teen years, and scored 141, 146, and 151 on them. The test on which I scored 141 was administered by our honors English teacher when I was a senior and was the highest score in the class. Since that class was generally made up of the highest achievers in my graduating class of 220, I think it likely that the scores were not particularly over-inflated either.

Regarding people's perceptions of their own intelligence, I have heard it said that most people generally believe themselves to be quite clever, no matter how utterly stupid they are, mainly because they cannot really understand the intelligence of those who are smarter than they. This is a rather simple-minded assertion, but accurate to a degree. Though I might not understand the mathematical musings of someone like Gauss, I can certainly grant that he was far more intelligent than I.

AV, I disagree with your assertion that you have reached your maximum brainpower. There may indeed be a degree of physical growth going on up until age 23, but whenever one learns something new, new synaptic paths are forged in that person's brain. This will happen continually for the rest of your life as all that raw intelligence organizes itself into wisdom.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Senior Member Stygian Cellarius's Avatar
    Last Online
    Saturday, May 12th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Wales
    Subrace
    Sindarin
    Country
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Ontological Cryptanalyst
    Politics
    Religion
    Spiritual Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Intelligence and Perception

Be careful boasting ones own IQ, fellows. Everyone on here has already measured your intelligence and only a handful of folks fall into the exceptional category (and you're not likely to be in it). Telling people about it will not increase whatever station they have you already assigned

Intelligence is a sensitive topic. A deficiency in the primary element that sets us apart from the rest of nature is likely to be guarded against in great vigilance (and perhaps the element [that was?] subjected to the greatest selection pressure? I don't know, but am tossing that idea around).

When observing social interactions at a micro-level one can observe something approaching perpetual egotistical warfare largely centered around competing intelligences. Everyone is always either trying to demonstrate their intelligence or conceal perceived deficiencies. Largely dependent on where they imagine their placement relative to those they're engaged with. Folks that are perceived as modest are no exception. Everyone does it at some level.

I think that perhaps ones life-long struggle of sculpting their own character evolves around perfecting the concealment of their deficiencies or learning how to make others cognizant of their virtues without the appearance of boasting. Intelligence would be a prime candidate in that struggle.

There are quite a few dimensions of intelligence, but from where I stand, the greatest of these that constitutes the highest tier of intellectual ability is the ability to generate new ideas. Which an IQ test does not measure. An IQ test will measure ones--what I call--mundane cognition, viz. ones ability to manage and problem-solve given-information sets. An IQ test does not, however, measure ones ability to create new information. An ability which high culture is largely dependent. You can ace an IQ test and never fall among the ranks of the great thinkers. On paper you can even score higher, but something will separate you from them and you'll likely not understand why (although you will likely think yourself amongst them).

This type of creative thought I mention is the youngest evolutionary layer of cognitive development.

Ideas are paramount and the ability to create them is the prime element that sets us apart form other races. We overlap with other races in all other domains.
    yDNA: R1a1a1
    mtDNA: H4a1
    Ancestry Painting: 100% European
    23andme Global Similarity: Dead center of English Cluster

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I literally had the whole register: Learnt to read at three, was permitted to skip a class at school, had a newspaper article about child prodigy me being a potential genius and beyond, and graduated from a boarding school for the gifted at age 16 and entered university (in my first attempt) at that age. The bill I got for it? Being bullied for much of my school life for being "the clever kid", and choosing the wrong course of study and spending a whole four years in getting to know the feeling of for the first time failing a school exam before I decided that perhaps it was the wrong career to pursue.

At any rate, I do not primarily judge people by their intelligence, though it comes into it a great enough part, I don't surround myself with people who can't count the fingers on their hand, perhaps because any deeper conversation/discussion (which I naturally love) is basically lost on them. As a result, I would wager to say that the vast majority of my friends register in the upper register, with most in probably the 110-130 spectrum, with those of more average intelligence still spending a lot of time on reading and keeping informed. The idea someone might not know what the capital of Tajikistan is, or has never heard of Schrödinger's Cat, or worst, cannot recite the first paragraph of De Bello Gallico kind of alarms me.

As for the reason that many people on the internet seem to brag about their intelligence, I think the big thing is that you're not going to brag about something that is not to brag about. One saw a similar thing in the thread about height; if you're a 5'4" guy with a three-inch penis and an IQ of 85, you may well brag about your model girlfriend or the money you inherited from your daddy, but you aren't going to brag about your height, endowment or intelligence. No one with the confidence to brag about anything will brag at a lower level. That's why it may well be that of the 100 people who read that Yahoo! Answers thing, 90 may have considered themselves to be fairly dumb and the 10 mad scientist genii may have decided to brag.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    1. People who post on the internet are smarter than average.
    If that were true, I would honestly advocate the indiscriminate holocaust of the species

The only way I retain any semblance of faith in humanity at all is by explaining away the millions of retards that infest the wasteland called the internet as being mostly Down Syndromers and Poles who, owing to their scale-breaking undesirability, spend a disproportionate amount of time inside, fouling the digital world.

3. People lie on the internet.
    That one. I too have wondered about this question in the past. Selection bias doesn't cut it, since every site has a 'What's your IQ?' thread somewhere in its annals, and most of these threads have contributions from the majority of that site's members. Y!A is a little different, of course, but you can still assess the likelihood of selection bias by comparing the number of replies to questions of intelligence with the average number of replies to questions in that category of Y!A.

It's also possible that people take multiple tests and convince themselves that the highest score they got was the most accurate one. Since online IQ tests inflate real scores by at least 10 points, and some inflate them by 20-30 points, this can lead to some ridiculous self-reports of IQ scores by people who can barely spell 'IQ'. But, still, things like, "I took a MENSA/state-issued test" are very common.

So, like you, I think lying is the big one. People lie on the internet about all kinds of nonsense. Things you frequently read online that are obviously untrue:

"I'm a direct descendant of [insert famous person of 800 years ago whose very existence is in debate and whom you couldn't possibly trace an unbroken lineage back to]."

"I'm 1/8th [insert Native American tribe that has already been listed by every other contributor to the thread, despite the fact that there were only 200 left in the world three generations ago and there's no way every unrelated member of the site could be descended from that 200, and in the exact same proportion]."

"I experienced [insert ridiculously unambiguous paranormal encounter that if recorded on film would have put an end to scepticism for life, but despite every single member of the thread experiencing such definitive otherworldly evidence, not a single one in all the thousands of threads people talk about it, has ever been quick-witted enough to record even a millisecond of it]."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast