Politics
    None
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A little sidestep in the discussion, the former eurodisco guy Martin "E-type" Erikson opened a really nice restaurant in Stockholm some while ago: http://www.aifur.se/

It's like completely Nordic/Norse, with a lot of dishes actually more or less "confirmed" to have been eaten back in those days. The rest is made up with ingredients that we know were around at that time. He have made quite a success with this restaurant, and one could only hope he made the concept a little more commercial and easy to spread to other cities.
    Now I don't mean he should make it a fast food joint, but there are other companies at least here, which have some class and still exist in the same way in several cities (Bishops Arms, Jensens Böfhus, O'Leary's etc.).

He also claims that the "norse kitchen" at the time, was much more rich and complex than for example the French at the same time.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 @ 11:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Well, the "French" cuisine of today is a medieval Italian import.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irmingot View Post
    A little sidestep in the discussion, the former eurodisco guy Martin "E-type" Erikson opened a really nice restaurant in Stockholm some while ago: http://www.aifur.se/

It's like completely Nordic/Norse, with a lot of dishes actually more or less "confirmed" to have been eaten back in those days. The rest is made up with ingredients that we know were around at that time. He have made quite a success with this restaurant, and one could only hope he made the concept a little more commercial and easy to spread to other cities.
    Now I don't mean he should make it a fast food joint, but there are other companies at least here, which have some class and still exist in the same way in several cities (Bishops Arms, Jensens Böfhus, O'Leary's etc.).

He also claims that the "norse kitchen" at the time, was much more rich and complex than for example the French at the same time.
    The problem is I guess that his restaurant, as well as the pub chain restaurants (who mostly serve American style meat dishes) are too expensive to compete with the fast food segment occupied by more exotic foods.

There's hardly anything expensive about classic Swedish produce (apart from beef which was only common in certain areas), but cooking them properly doesn't really fit into a fast food format, and the prices will be set with this in mind. So it's two different concepts, fast food and restaurant food.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 05:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irmingot View Post
    Yes it can. Mostly because we wouldn't need any foreign food to "sustain our health", if we didn't stuff ourselves full of the other half of foreign crap food.

Mind you, that at least in Sweden - even until the 70'ies - overweight, cardiac disease, stomach problems and malnutrition was hardly known. That stuff came long with the hamburgers, pizzas, Chinese food and other junk.
    Scandinavia have been one of the healthiest places on earth, until we started "looking for inspiration" from all around the world, to make our "boring" food more "interesting". Now we are soon as fat and sick as the Americans and the English - because we started eating the same shit that you do.

My two cents, is that we need to explore our own traditional food culture instead, as it is virtually packed with healthy and nutritious food. We wouldn't be dependent of the supply of that trendy junk from all around the world, with all the extra costs and pollution etc. that comes along with it.
    You don't live in the UK so I don't expect you to know how little interesting foods we have over here. Because of EU regulation, whatever food that IS produced here is processed, mass produced and tasteless, pumped full of water and chemicals so it looks bigger, sacrificing taste and what nutrients there are. So it's not just junk food that's the reason for bringing in foreign food. Our own food here is crap too. That's why we need these foreign foods to make our crap taste better. I know how it is in Sweden. I love cloudberries. My stepmum can't live in the UK because of all the crap they put in our food and she's allergic to it.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 04:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Craftsman
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrioten View Post
    The problem is I guess that his restaurant, as well as the pub chain restaurants (who mostly serve American style meat dishes) are too expensive to compete with the fast food segment occupied by more exotic foods.

There's hardly anything expensive about classic Swedish produce (apart from beef which was only common in certain areas), but cooking them properly doesn't really fit into a fast food format, and the prices will be set with this in mind. So it's two different concepts, fast food and restaurant food.
    Yes, you are probably fully right. But I don't think it's possible to really compete with for example McDonalds and Burger King, without lowering yourself to their standards, both when it comes to food quality/cooking and the way they for example treat their employees.
    One can only hope that people start eating far less fast food/junk food, and start preparing their own food to a larger extent. And of course, when eating out - choosing a better alternative than the usual fast food junk.

And about Martin's restaurant, as a starter - he could very well see that there are at least two more places put up sooner or later, in Gothenburg and perhaps Malmö, even though that city is more or less all lost already.
    The main point here isn't that people would really need these places to survive, or even have them as a better alternative to other places - but as something which might awaken an interest in exploring Scandinavian food cuisine further. There is a trend of rising interest, and we can only hope for more.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 @ 11:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    The problem with traditional Swedish cuisine is that it takes time. A brisket or "Eisbein" should boil for 2-3 hours, and kalops for 1 1/2 hour or so.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 04:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Craftsman
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    The problem with traditional Swedish cuisine is that it takes time. A brisket or "Eisbein" should boil for 2-3 hours, and kalops for 1 1/2 hour or so.
    Yes I know. It's "slow food", literally. There's a whole movement dealing with this subject, "the slow food movement".
    It might not be very well fit for the modern society, as it is today. But after all, you could cook food and put it in the fridge/freezer - for eating later on. Not the best thing, but always a solution.
    I used to do this when I was single and had a pretty demanding full time job. I could make like 4-5 different dishes during a weekend, and I had food at least for lunch almost during a whole month. It wasn't really a matter of ultra traditional food I might add, but still healthy and good stuff.

So yes, much of the more traditional food - at least dinners - can be quite time consuming in its preparation, even though there of course are alternatives which are a lot faster. Instead of having some crappy pizza slice or similar, I use to have some "fil" (dairy product) and "tunnbröd" (a crisp bread) with caviar, sill or sausage, and just a glass of milk. Quite genuine food, but still a fast and good snack/meal.

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts
    I eat only Western food as a rule but I'm quite liberal-minded on this compared to my parents. They're the only folks I know who could spend a fortnight in Spain eating chips 'just to be on the safe side' according to my Mum. She was aghast when they offered her some paella on the first day and wanted to get the next flight home but they found a place which sold English food and she was persuaded to stay until the end of the hols

Then, after my Dad died, the Hindus next door brought her some stuff to eat (popadoms, bhajis and so on ...) when they were celebrating Diwali. Personally, I thought that was a nice gesture but what did she do? ... she put it out onto the lawn for the birds My gods, I was so embarrassed about this I actually went round and apologised to them!

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Indian food though for all that, which seems to be all spices but nothing of much substance. I lived in Leicester for half a century and so know all about this but it never really appealed to me (racial prejudices apart ) and I'm sure that there are diet-related reasons why Asians in general tend to be on the smaller side. In fact, you could often tell the ones who ate an Asian diet apart from the 2nd/3rd generation ones who had eaten predominantly Western food because the latter often seemed more robust and healthier looking.

I think I must have acquired some of my Mum's culinary genes though because I'm generally quite conservative in my eating habits. Possibly the most adventurous I've ever been was when I lived in Germany and France for prolonged periods and tried out many of the local dishes. Nonetheless, I was glad to eventually resume my old ways, which I always feel happier with. It's not just the food either but also the drinks and returning from France and being able to have a few good beers in the pub again was just sheer bliss

If I do ever stray into Asian food territory these days it's usually because of some health spin-off and I have been known to take garlic and ginseng for this reason. Also, brown rice is more beneficial for me than potatoes/chips etc.. so I tend to eat this, although you can also get it from the USA as well as Asia.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 7th, 2017 @ 01:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic and Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles & Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Someone said rice is unhealthy. It is not but brown rice is better as it is prebiotic. Probably the switch from Indian to Chinese cuisine comes from anti-Paki sentiments in the UK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123