Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrid Runa View Post
    It's not a bad thing.
    I fully support the rise in exotic food entering the UK trade system.
    It's generally healthier and more exciting than our own produce....
    Food is culture too. I don't think our northern-European food is that boring.

That exotic food is so much healthier, I can't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Irmingot View Post
    I find is very difficult to understand what's so "good" about Asian food, and almost any other foreign foods, if we are speaking nutrition. Can anyone please enlighten me?
    I'm a real sucker for sushi. But that's made with Norwegian products, we export a lot of fish, sea weed, clams etc. to Japan. I'd much rather have sushi places than Mcdonalds and Burger King, even if you count those as Germanic "restaurants".

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 03:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Craftsman
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Things that we need to sustain our health can't always be found in this country.
    I have a homemade curry every week on a Saturday. Because of this, my immune system has been super boosted. I have a better, healtheir lifestyle than a lot of people I know because of the diverse diet I have. Italian, Indian, Thai, Greek, Spanish, Scottish, etc...
    British food to me is very boring and bland. I much prefer alternative lifestyles.
    Yes it can. Mostly because we wouldn't need any foreign food to "sustain our health", if we didn't stuff ourselves full of the other half of foreign crap food.

Mind you, that at least in Sweden - even until the 70'ies - overweight, cardiac disease, stomach problems and malnutrition was hardly known. That stuff came long with the hamburgers, pizzas, Chinese food and other junk.
    Scandinavia have been one of the healthiest places on earth, until we started "looking for inspiration" from all around the world, to make our "boring" food more "interesting". Now we are soon as fat and sick as the Americans and the English - because we started eating the same shit that you do.

My two cents, is that we need to explore our own traditional food culture instead, as it is virtually packed with healthy and nutritious food. We wouldn't be dependent of the supply of that trendy junk from all around the world, with all the extra costs and pollution etc. that comes along with it.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I find is very difficult to understand what's so "good" about Asian food, and almost any other foreign foods, if we are speaking nutrition. Can anyone please enlighten me?
    Studies show that fried dog is good for lowering cholesterol. Roasted cat is very rich in iron, and when coupled with boiled tortured panda foetus it's even been proven to reduce risk of cancer. Undesirable side effects of this family diet may include your kids staying out all night at extracurricular chemistry clubs, wanting to spend thousands of your money on three month holidays to 'algebra camp' for summer, and never having a girlfriend (or, actually, any friends). Long term exposure to the diet may also lead to an attraction to cartoon characters and an almost physics-defying internal personality-sinkhole that quite literally erases all shreds of character from existence. Forever.

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 07:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    I'm a real sucker for sushi. But that's made with Norwegian products, we export a lot of fish, sea weed, clams etc. to Japan. I'd much rather have sushi places than Mcdonalds and Burger King, even if you count those as Germanic "restaurants".
    Nothing wrong with preparing a foreign dish with locally grown ingredients. What is stupid though is the importation of food by the hundreds of tones form foreign sources when it can be produced locally.

I would say that Hamburgers are a Germanic Food, but McDonald and Burger King are cheap second rate mass produced junk food. It is like saying Toco Bell is a source for authentic Mexican Food.

No comparison to the Hamburger that comes form east Texas German small town restaurants and what you will find at McDonald or Burger King.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've never had any trouble with Asian food. Ever. Or any non-germanic food for that matter.
    As long as you cook it properly, you're fine. Like any food really.
    And I'd rather have a variety in my diet, thanks.
    And if you look at the people who live in those countries, they generally live longer and are a damn sight healthier than the people here in the UK.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Craftsman
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    Food is culture too. I don't think our northern-European food is that boring.

That exotic food is so much healthier, I can't understand.

I love sushi too, but then I am a great fan of seafood generally. Traditional Japanese sushi contains far less sugar (added to the rice) than what we are used to here in the Western World, so that makes it even better from a nutrition point of view.
    But no matter how much I love sushi, and do think it's good healthy food, I can't subscribe to the claim that "foreign foods are so healthy and good for you". There are some exceptions, of course. Like the sushi we talk about, and some of the Indian dishes. But to sat that tikka masala, kebab, pizza and falafel is "good food", is like saying a bullet in your head is good for you. It's obvious, if you look at the health now and then - before they made their entry to our part of the world.

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    WHAAAAAT! Are you telling me that deep fried cat is not good for you? Hehehe, It is unfortunate that Asian culture in general has become so popular. Everywhere you look in my city, there is an asian restaurant or asian hipster store. Most Asian food in UK and Canada is full of MSG I imagine, which is very addictive. Also deep fried asian foods are so fatty and are not cooked in good oils such as canola oil (That stuff is liquid cancer). Sushi is good in moderation, but you have to be careful with it. My grandma went to Japan for some ice crystal cave tour and she came back to North American very sick. No one could figure out what was wrong with her until they discovered that she had a nasty parasite from eating sushi -_-
    All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I love sushi too, but then I am a great fan of seafood generally. Traditional Japanese sushi contains far less sugar (added to the rice) than what we are used to here in the Western World, so that makes it even better from a nutrition point of view.
    But no matter how much I love sushi, and do think it's good healthy food, I can't subscribe to the claim that "foreign foods are so healthy and good for you". There are some exceptions, of course. Like the sushi we talk about, and some of the Indian dishes. But to sat that tikka masala, kebab, pizza and falafel is "good food", is like saying a bullet in your head is good for you. It's obvious, if you look at the health now and then - before they made their entry to our part of the world.
    If you use decent ingredients and do it home made, yes, it is good for you.
    Better for you than processed mass produced crap that the EU supports.
    A lot of herbs and spices used in foreign cooking are very good for you. Garlic cleans the blood and strengthens your immune system. Ginger helps with digestion and can cure nausea. Chillies can fight off cancer cells.
    So many reasons why foreign foods are good for you.
    If you make it yourself, it's better for you than buying it pre-made.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Craftsman
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And another thing, regarding these "foreign foods" - is that hardly any of it is anything but American anyway. This goes maybe especially for the Asian food. Everyone who have actually been in for example China knows this (I have a friend who lives in China). They don't serve us their cockroaches, spiders, scorpions, snails, toads, cats, dogs, rats, swallow puke (actually, their nests made of puke). Not their chicken fetuses, not the living fishes or snakes, and nor their "roasted alive" ant dishes. THAT food, might even be good from a nutrition point of view, no matter how disgusting it may be. But the fried chicken with rice and sweet sauces really isn't.

It's the same thing with most other exotic dishes (Mexican, Italian, Indian and so on), they entered America, got stuffed with even more sugar and fat to suit the needs of making it addictive junk food for lazy people, who forgot what normal food tastes like, and who got too fat and lazy to actually make real food anymore. And then of course, we imported these "exotic foods" over to Europe. And you know the rest of the history, and what it did to us.

If you use decent ingredients and do it home made, yes, it is good for you.
    Better for you than processed mass produced crap that the EU supports.
    A lot of herbs and spices used in foreign cooking are very good for you. Garlic cleans the blood and strengthens your immune system. Ginger helps with digestion and can cure nausea. Chillies can fight off cancer cells.
    I can see your point, but you know what? There are substitutes for all of this, right here where we live. But for some reason, we haven't taken the time to do the research on our own products.
    We have cloudberry, we have blueberry, we have lingonberries, we have black currant (I don't know how "native" that one is though...). We also have onion (and several "grass onion" variants), and garlic has been in Europe for a very long time. In addition, we have a wide range of nuts and other berries with different qualities.
    Earlier, we also drank for example birch sap, which has proven to be very interesting in the fight against cancer - and there are ongoing investigations, trying to find the effective agents.

Traditionally, we also ate a lot of seafood, and a lot of dairy products (the later category, is also part of the explanation why Norse people were a lot taller and stronger built than other peoples at the time). We also had a well developed culture concerning fermented food, which recently have gained attention as a very healthy line of foods.

So no and yes. There are "good things" which are foreign, but we don't need them. We have all that we need right here. If you think it's "boring", that's a sad thing. But it really isn't less healthy. Nature gave us all we needed right here, we don't need to go to China or Brazil to find food to make us healthy, we just need to (re)discover what we have here.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrid Runa
    If you make it yourself, it's better for you than buying it pre-made.
    We have a form of garlic native to Europe, it's called ramsons. When you walk in the forest at spring and it smell's of garlic, that's the ransoms doing. It's very easy to grow yourself too, and it comes up year after year on it's own.

Ramsons, Allium ursinum — also known as buckrams, wild garlic, broad-leaved garlic, wood garlic, bear leek, and bear's garlic
    We have a lot of healthy and good herbs in Europe too. I have to admit I really like ginger though.

And homecooking is always better than buying pre-made I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid Runa
    And I'd rather have a variety in my diet, thanks.
    And if you look at the people who live in those countries, they generally live longer and are a damn sight healthier than the people here in the UK.
    I really don't see why you would need Asian food to have any variety in your diet. But of course it's your own personal choice.

Overall life expectancy are not that dramactially different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast