Thread: Burzum - From the Depths of Darkness - "Money Grab Scheme"?

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Burzum - From the Depths of Darkness - "Money Grab Scheme"?

What do you think? If you read Varg's writings ... he seems to be above this. Not only above it, but he despises it apparently. Do you think he's above it or very much vulnerable to it?
    "The mystery and secret of Wotan is not that "knowledge" of him is passed along through clandestine cults or even through the re-discovery of old books and texts--but rather that such knowledge is actually encoded in a mysterious way in the DNA, in the very genetic material, of those who are descended from him." - Secret of the Gothick God of Darkness

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    I hadn't heard about it earlier.

For those also unfamiliar with it:

http://www.burzum.org/eng/discograph...darkness.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_th...hs_of_Darkness

I see he renamed "black spell of destruction" to "spell of destruction", which is a bit odd. Pytten is a pretty well-known producer, I guess I will have to check this out before I have a meaning about it. It might seem it's a money scheme, but he is a musician so... Dimmu Borgir also re-recorded and destroyed their album Stormblåst because they wanted to make cash on it. Not that they had any credibility left.

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauz R. Waldher
    What do you think? If you read Varg's writings ... he seems to be above this. Not only above it, but he despises it apparently. Do you think he's above it or very much vulnerable to it?
    While I think Varg, on a personal level, couldnt care less about sells numbers and what / if he earns money with his music, I would assume that he doesnt have much choice other than trying to get as much as possible. Norway still wants some 50mio or so Kroner from him. I would think that this little detail makes one pretty much "vulnerable" to doing some extra projects.

But I've read in some interview years ago that he pretty much wanted to rerecord some old stuff to make it sound like it was always intended to sound. Havent checked that compilation though, so cant say whether he succeeded or not.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    While I think Varg, on a personal level, couldnt care less about sells numbers and what / if he earns money with his music, I would assume that he doesnt have much choice other than trying to get as much as possible. Norway still wants some 50mio or so Kroner from him. I would think that this little detail makes one pretty much "vulnerable" to doing some extra projects.

But I've read in some interview years ago that he pretty much wanted to rerecord some old stuff to make it sound like it was always intended to sound. Havent checked that compilation though, so cant say whether he succeeded or not.
    He can't even pay the interest rate. The state can't touch his money, because he signed over his artistic rights to his mother. You can go into a debt program, where you live on minimal cash for 5 years, and pay all you can. After the 5 years your debt will be deleted.

This is to help people that would never be able to get out of the debt hell.

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Ah, you have that too in Norway, we call that "private insolvency", works similar just over 7 years.

Well, good, I'd say
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post

Yeah, I read that too. And I personally liked the idea. People are talking shit (as usual) about the record saying stupid crap like .. "I miss the old atmosphere". Uhhh, how can you "miss" something that's still available? HE wanted to redo them so I understand where he's coming from as an artist. He's unhappy with them, or at least wants to reinterpret the songs in a new expression. He IS better at guitar now. People just plain suck. Most of them are new Burzum fans anyway. Bandwagon, trendy dung heads.
    Velvet, go to youtube and listen. The new versions are less atmospheric, but still very good and ripping. Some parts are faster, some are slowed down ... and he added some new ambioent pieces (that are too short in my opinion). I'd like them to go on for awhile.
    "The mystery and secret of Wotan is not that "knowledge" of him is passed along through clandestine cults or even through the re-discovery of old books and texts--but rather that such knowledge is actually encoded in a mysterious way in the DNA, in the very genetic material, of those who are descended from him." - Secret of the Gothick God of Darkness

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    I hadn't heard about it earlier.

For those also unfamiliar with it:

http://www.burzum.org/eng/discograph...darkness.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_th...hs_of_Darkness

I see he renamed "black spell of destruction" to "spell of destruction", which is a bit odd. Pytten is a pretty well-known producer, I guess I will have to check this out before I have a meaning about it. It might seem it's a money scheme, but he is a musician so... Dimmu Borgir also re-recorded and destroyed their album Stormblåst because they wanted to make cash on it. Not that they had any credibility left.
    This is actually the third time the song appears on a record. On the demo (91') it was called "Spell of Destruction" on the self-titled (92') it was entitled "Black Spell of Destruction". So this is nothing new. The song is killer in all ways it is entitled.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    A Burzum Story: Part VI - The Music

The last eight months I have received a lot of letters from people who are interested in things like what instruments I used when I recorded the Burzum albums. Personally I am not the least interested in these things, and therefore I don't have the motivation to actually reply to such letters. To me this is like an echo from the past, when "everybody" in the Death Metal underground were talking about such things. The focus on instruments, brands, sound studios and "production" is actually one of the things I rebelled against in 1991.

The mistakes made on some of the tracks during the recording could easily have been avoided had I only bothered to rerecord certain parts, but the point at that time was to rebel against the streamlined (Death) Metal music. The whole point with the musical rebellion was to not make "perfect" albums, to not make music with "this or that" brand of instruments, it was to not go to a particular sound studio to get "this or that sound", and it was to not sound like other bands. A few mistakes makes the music more alive and personal, it simply gives the music some "soul" and originality, so I never bothered to correct anything. The music on the Burzum albums is simply an honest and sincere, unvarnished and clear representation of me. Certainly I am not flawless or without mistakes, so neither is my music.

There was an ideology behind this; it was an embrace of honesty and an appreciation of the pure and natural. If the sound is not defined as good by some stuffed shirt (failed) musician working for a music magazine it matters no whit to me. The natural is always the best, whether we are talking about music or something else. The natural and best music is (as I see it) music with "soul", and not music that has been polished for months in a studio to remove even the tiniest mistakes (peculiarities).
    "From the Depths of Darkness was recorded and decided to be released because I always meant that the original recordings didn't do justice to the music, and I wanted to hear the tracks as they were intended by me back in 1991 and 1992, when these tracks were made, and to share this with those interested."

And a interview from 2011: http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/20...rrorizer.shtml

The vinyl looks sweet: