Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Caucus Ends in Stalemate, Romney Becomes Presumptive Challenger to Obama

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Romney got first in New Hampshire, as expected. Ron Paul won the real race, which was for second. Huntsman came in third, and has now dropped out and endorsed Romney. Gingrich & Santorum finished a distant 4th/5th, and Perry barely got 1%

Romney leads in South Carolina and Florida, and his nomination is pretty much assured.

For VP, I doubt he will pick one of the favorites like Bachmann or Rubio.

My bet is on Pawlenty, because he needs someone with a 'working class' background to balance out the ticket, what with him coming from a wealthy family. They used to pick VP based on region to 'balance' the ticket, but now people vote more based on class than they do on region.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    For VP, I doubt he will pick one of the favorites like Bachmann or Rubio.
    Bachmann burnt out pretty quickly, I don't think she brings anything to the ticket at this point. And since Romney can lay claim to the Hispanic label himself, there is no need to further pander to Latinos by picking Rubio as VP nominee.

My bet is on Pawlenty, because he needs someone with a 'working class' background to balance out the ticket, what with him coming from a wealthy family. They used to pick VP based on region to 'balance' the ticket, but now people vote more based on class than they do on region.
    Santorum also comes from a workingclass background. Santorum also won 2 statewide elections (US Senate) race in Pennsylvania - he lost relelction in 2006 as part of the Bush backlash. Pennsylvania is in play this year, along with Ohio & other parts of the White bluecollar rustbelt, so a White Ethnic Catholic (Santorum is Italian & Pawlenty is Polish) would make more sense then pandering to the pro-diversity Republicans by nominating Bobby Jindah or Nikki Haley. But never underestimate the GOP compulsion to do the dumb thing.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Personally, I all think it is a bit planned in that Romney appears to be the "laughing third", meaning that you'll have another "moderate" oppose Obama without a chance when it comes to the ballot.

If all somewhat "conservative" candidates who are obvious lagging behind would resign from the race and endorse Paul, then chances would be that he would win the Republican nomination by a large margin, and in turn stand quite the chance to unseat goode olde Mulatto Barry.

At any rate, something seems very fishy, and I don't exactly like the sounds of it. Asides from disagreeing with him on many issues and the fact that he's a little old for the office, Ron Paul might be the best bet America has left from a preservationist viewpoint.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, February 3rd, 2012 @ 02:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    New Zealander
    Ancestry
    Germany, England
    Country
    State
    Iowa Iowa
    Married parent
    Politics
    Conservative Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Iowa just released the certified results this morning. Rick Santorum actually beat Mitt Romney by 34 votes. I doubt it changes anything now.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Well, after Newt Gingrich has won South Carolina in a dominant way, I´d think that the whole race is open once again. What do the US American Skadites think?

That the Republican party is split between so many candidates is a negative sign...it could lead to the re-election of Barack Obama because he would benefit from the discord.

Rick Santorum (he is called the only real rightwing-conservative candidate here in Europe) as the candidate, Gingrich or Bachmann as vice-candidates. I guess this wouldn´t be the worst outcome of the nominees race!?

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:15 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German, Danish, English
    Country
    State
    Florida Florida
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Diver
    Politics
    Libertarian/Anarchicst
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think the GOP is trying to shove yet another worthless candidate down our throats. Both parties are heading us to communism, it is just that the Democrats are more in your face about it. I am voting for Ron Paul regardless because his Libertarian views are closer to my own. If Obama is reelected it will be the end of the U.S. as we know it.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Well, after Newt Gingrich has won South Carolina in a dominant way, I´d think that the whole race is open once again. What do the US American Skadites think?

That the Republican party is split between so many candidates is a negative sign...it could lead to the re-election of Barack Obama because he would benefit from the discord.
    Every presidential election has a lot of candidates at first. After the primaries are over then people align with their parties to support who won the primaries.

The media is trying to say it is a bad thing because conservatives are split behind their man. They are trying to boost the negro and dishearten the people who are against him. This is very similar to how BHO got elected, some people because of the hype over him did not even vote because they thought he would win by a huge margin( he did not win by a very big margin). The media also knows the only Republican that BHO stands a chance against is Romney, so they try and promote him.

Rick Santorum (he is called the only real rightwing-conservative candidate here in Europe) as the candidate, Gingrich or Bachmann as vice-candidates. I guess this wouldn´t be the worst outcome of the nominees race!?
    I have learned long ago that what is considered conservative in Europe is not what is considered conservative here in the US. I remember some friends from Germany saying Clinton would be considered conservative by European standards.

Personally, at this point in time I'm just glad the other negro has dropped out of the race. I did not like his 999( nein, nein, nein )plan as it would not have worked. His case was where the media with their biased meddling actually did something good, because I believe he would have beaten BHO. I would have a hard time standing another negro as president again.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 06:10 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    State
    Wisconsin Wisconsin
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I would respectfully disagree. This election is showing that there's a great deal of friction between the fiscal conservatives and the social conservatives in the GOP.

Mitt Romney: Favorite of the elites, but he raises the hackles of social conservatives because he's more liberal on social issues. He's making an attempt to show that he cares about guns and fetuses at the 11th hour, but they're just not buying it. The media won't touch this issue, so I'll point out that his Mormon faith is a huge problem for many of the "religious right" types.

New Gingrich: Left congress in disgrace years ago. Has many enemies in both parties. Proven adulterer. Who thought this guy was a good idea?

Rick Santorum: I don't think it's a stretch to say that this election will swing on economic issues. Ricky has tunnel vision and remains fixated on his old obsession: abortion. He's been relentlessly mocked by the media for likening the Iraq war to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and stating that he thinks contraception should be illegal. He will scare away moderates and libertarians.

The reason the candidates are such a freakshow? GOP politicians who have a chance at the White House in the future are biding their time and sitting this one out. The incumbent has a massive advantage, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Wellenkamp View Post
    I think the GOP is trying to shove yet another worthless candidate down our throats. Both parties are heading us to communism, it is just that the Democrats are more in your face about it.
    Maybe not Communism so much as a quasi-Capitalist system where bankers and hidden oligarchs call the shots from behind the scenes. But yes, both parties are vile.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    I think Gingrich received a lot of pity votes. The interview with his ex-wife that aired just before the primary made him look like a victim of the liberal media. Regardless of whether he wanted an open marriage (when married to wife #2) he is undeniable that left wife #2 to be with wife #3 but what right does wife #2 have to complain, Gingrich left wife #1 to be with wife #2. It came down to chosing between a man (claiming to be a mainstream Christian) on his third wife vs. the Mormon guy still married to wife#1.

Romney also has the problem of seeming out-of-touch because of his wealth. And he is the former governor of Massachusetts & Massachusetts is a dirty word to Conservatives.

Gingrich is unelectable. He knows it, most likely he is running for the money making opportunities it will afford him after he loses.

Santorum is a real social conservative but a neocon in foreign affairs.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 @ 12:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The GOP party is split up and lacks cohesiveness and the poisonous media isn't making the issue any better. It's coming down to a battle of ideological identity rather than a battle of real solutions and principles.

I've watched many of the debates that have transpired and all they do is give me a headache and leave a sour taste from watching Romney, Gingrich and Santorum flip-flop along issues and give no real solutions to the problems that this country faces.

All they do is spat lip-service to their supporters and political constituents; and blatantly play us all as fools. It's a game of 'Bull-Shit' and nothing more than verbal diarrhea.

Dr. Paul has my support 100%, because he's the only candidate capable and credible enough to tackle most of our problems here. But, the establishment and the media doesn't want a "radical" candidate in office like Ron Paul. A candidate who has already laid out how he's going to fix things; cut a trillion dollars in the first year, end birthright citizenship, stop foreign aid, downsize the gov't and restore prosperity. Sounds like common f'ing sense to me, but for some sick and twisted reason people would rather live in a downward spiral to dystopia.

I am looking forward to Dr. Paul winning or coming in 2nd in a lot more primaries and caucuses so he can scare the establishment even more.
    "Life; it kills 100% of those who experience it."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast