Capitalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadwallon View Post
    As a former resident of the Appalachian Cumberland Plateau that protrudes into Middle Tennessee I feel obliged to participate in this thread.

First the whole inbred mountain man stereotype is overplayed, some cousin marriages and uncle-niece marriages did occur but it was not overly common, the motivations behind these instances varied (some due to a desire to keep land tracts within a family others simple perversion which were prosecuted in local courts).

The stereotype of mountain men being inbred mutants was perpetuated by Yanks who sought to distance themselves from their less wealthy counterparts, a historic example of this conflict can be found in the New York Times archive with the article "Tennessee is not a Hooch Paradise" in which a Tennessean legislative officer stated his discontent with New Englanders who share common ancestry with many of the peoples of Tennessee in that the Yanks seek to discredit the connection and perpetuate the drunken inbred hillbilly stereotype for political reasons.

As for disappearances and such like those Wrong Turn movies it seems to be an amalgamation of local folklore centered around Boog Goblins/Trolls and this inbred stereotype. In my own hometown I was raised on stories of Boog Trolls and Haints abducting children or outsiders if they wander too deep in the woodlands and such.
    I realize the appalachian people are not like these extreme stereotypes, and that they're only maybe a little bit more inbred than any other population because of environmental reasons (ie. bad roads, culture). I know inbreeding is looked down upon in every culture. I just thought if there ever were a serious legend that this wrong turn movie is basing it's story on, it might have a little bit of truth in it since, it's entirely possible for a very small number of outcasts to separate themselves from society to escape persecution and out of desperation breed with their family members. It's also entirely possible for these people to become insane from the isolation and revert themselves to a savage-like state after generations of inbreeding. It's probably just folklore, or a projection of something in the collective unconscious, but I just wanted to know if it was a real theory back in the old days.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty goddess View Post
    I realize the appalachian people are not like these extreme stereotypes, and that they're only maybe a little bit more inbred than any other population because of environmental reasons (ie. bad roads, culture). I know inbreeding is looked down upon in every culture. I just thought if there ever were a serious legend that this wrong turn movie is basing it's story on, it might have a little bit of truth in it since, it's entirely possible for a very small number of outcasts to separate themselves from society to escape persecution and out of desperation breed with their family members. It's also entirely possible for these people to become insane from the isolation and revert themselves to a savage-like state after generations of inbreeding. It's probably just folklore, or a projection of something in the collective unconscious, but I just wanted to know if it was a real theory back in the old days.
    I associate it with the bold faced, amalgamation of folklore with other societal views.

Also there are hermit kinds of folks that just wandered off, after some time in the wild and becoming dissociated they could be perceived of as seemingly ghoulish by those who stumbled upon them.
    Lineage migration - Hatfield, Yorkshire, England ->Stainforth, Yorkshire, England ->Whitgift, Yorkshire, England->Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England->Mecklenburg County, Virginia ->Rutherford County, North Carolina ->Overton County, Tennessee.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 06:22 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    European-American, mostly Germanic
    Subrace
    Reduced Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    single adult
    Occupation
    College student
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadwallon View Post
    I associate it with the bold faced, amalgamation of folklore with other societal views.

Also there are hermit kinds of folks that just wandered off, after some time in the wild and becoming dissociated they could be perceived of as seemingly ghoulish by those who stumbled upon them.
    I'm not even sure being a hermit has anything to do with not caring about being around other people. It does have to do with not wanting to associate with other people but those who are not persecuted and non mentally ill would not live in the wilderness by themselves on purpose. I've known the hermit type and they still want to be around other people to some extent, just don't want to associate with them, much like young children play parallel. If they would do it with a small group that is bigger than a family they would not really be hermits anyway. Hermits are not really mentally ill, they just have a really odd cognitive preferance, although with the very nature of their cognitive preferance they are probably more prone to mental illness. I don't know that much, but I think someone who wanders off into the wilderness would either be mentally ill (suffering from PTSD, some kind of paranoia, or an anti social personality disorder) or escaping some kind of enemy or persecution. But you're right, I'm sure rumors of evil, spooky people could be started from seeing someone who's wandered off into the wilderness for too long.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty goddess View Post
    I'm not even sure being a hermit has anything to do with not caring about being around other people. It does have to do with not wanting to associate with other people but those who are not persecuted and non mentally ill would not live in the wilderness by themselves on purpose. I've known the hermit type and they still want to be around other people to some extent, just don't want to associate with them, much like young children play parallel. If they would do it with a small group that is bigger than a family they would not really be hermits anyway. Hermits are not really mentally ill, they just have a really odd cognitive preferance, although with the very nature of their cognitive preferance they are probably more prone to mental illness. I don't know that much, but I think someone who wanders off into the wilderness would either be mentally ill (suffering from PTSD, some kind of paranoia, or an anti social personality disorder) or escaping some kind of enemy or persecution. But you're right, I'm sure rumors of evil, spooky people could be started from seeing someone who's wandered off into the wilderness for too long.
    The PTSD route could be valid, after all the mountain men in the 18th and 19th Century were hardened fighters who survived skirmishes with Injuns, or survived fighting in the war against Britain and the war against Washington, veterans of those days who were negatively affected by their days as fighters could have wandered off into the uninhabited parts of Appalachia inspiring local folklore.
    Lineage migration - Hatfield, Yorkshire, England ->Stainforth, Yorkshire, England ->Whitgift, Yorkshire, England->Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England->Mecklenburg County, Virginia ->Rutherford County, North Carolina ->Overton County, Tennessee.

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 28th, 2020 @ 11:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German, Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlichingen View Post
    Ever heard of the "Blue People" of Kentucky?
    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ky...ome_Creek.html

Definitely weird, totally harmless though.
    Very cool link!

I had long forgotten about a purple guy I saw at a McDonald's.

I was traveling by bus from Florida to New Jersey, the trip took @36 hours. At a stop somewhere along the way I was standing in line at a McDonald's, and noticed a guy in overalls in front of me, he was a strange purple color, and his pores were darker. I didn't stare, but did get a good look at him, at first I thought he might have been a coal miner, and just dirty. But he didn't look dirty, he looked like an average rural caucasian, with purple skin.

Thank you for the link! I had filed that memory under "strange things seen on long bus trips" and forgotten about it.
    "Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect."

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Lowlands
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
    I had long forgotten about a purple guy I saw at a McDonald's.

Last Online
    Friday, October 7th, 2016 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Cape Province Cape Province
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The topic of inbred mountain men is a touchy one and can be a legal question.

Fact Package: Husband and Wife in the Ozarks get a divorce.
    Legal Question: Are they still brother and sister?

I told this years ago and offended a certain female administrator. Change Ozarks to whatever is inoffensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12