healthcare
    Politics
    middle of the road, rational
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Eating Healthy for Cheap?

any tips on eating healthy for not a lot of money? I work nights and dont have a lot of time to prepare meals

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English-American
    Ancestry
    English/England
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Beans and rice are pretty cheap and healthy.

Seasonal/local vegetables tend to be cheaper, try a farmers market or something if you get the chance.

Making your own bread is supposed to be cheap, but you might not have time for that.

Buy more expensive items like fruit, vegetables and things on sale when you can.

Buy only what you need.

This is just some stuff I found on google.
    Proud to be Germanic.

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I may be able to give you some direction. I also work permanent nights (12 hour shifts) and am a health nut. I used to work in a health food/supplement store also.

First off, you should be taking vitamins and supplements.
    2000UI-4000IU of Vitamin D. Vitamin B12 as soon as you wake up on an empty stomach before you take any other supplements. B12 on its own blocks the absorption of other nutrients and vitamins. Also take a B complex. With our modern lifestyles, we are prone to burn out and stress. This will help.

I just began taking Red Reishi Mushroom pills for energy also it boosts your immune system.(3 a day) Make sure to drink as much water as possible as you can during nightshift (I sometimes mix electrolytes and Vitamin C in with my water). Also drink greens, or take them in pill form. They are high in anti oxidants and give plenty of energy.

When it comes to eating, the nature of my job allows me to snack all night instead of eating big meals and fast food. I buy snack foods like berries(dried or fresh), veggies, and fruit and eat them all night so I stay full. I bring home cooked chicken and fish, moose meals to work also. I also like organic granola bars and crackers. I sometimes will cut up cheese and eat it with oysters and cucumbers and even almonds. You can be so creative when it comes to eating healthy!

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    You can grow herbs and tomatoes by your windows.

Herbs are easy and you will always have fresh ones.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    You need to eat lots of vegetables and lean meat/fish. Frozen veg is just as healthy as fresh and a lot cheaper. Canned wild Salmon is fairly cheap and very healthy. You can also find wild frozen salmon in some discount supermarkets now.

If you could make salmon and vegetables the basis of your diet you'd be doing pretty well., it wold be close to what our paleolithic ancestors ate.

Frozen berries can also be had in discount supermarkets now. Contrary to popular belief it is possible to consume too much fruit. Our ancestors would not have access to fruit all year round.

Many peoples diet would benefit from the inclusion of nuts. Walnuts and almonds are said to be about the healthiest, but whatever nuts you get make sure they are unsalted.

For a carbohydrate, wild or long grain rice is ok and is fairly cheap, though sweet potato or winter squash might be slightly richer in nutrients. Some porridge probably wouldn't do you any harm either.

Deserts shouldn't be eaten every day but current thinking is that a saturated fat based desert is probably healthier than a sugar based one. The only fat you need to avoid completely are the hydrogenated or trans-fats. Unfortunately this is the most common form of fat found in factory made baked goods such as cakes and cookies.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Buy a steam cooker!

It is literally speaking a life saver!

First of all, it is very easy to use. You simply throw the food inside (veggies in general need to be chopped first, if we're talking about broccoli, etc) and set the timer. It makes a sound when it's done so you can do other things in the house while it cooks and you don't have to check it at all.
    It takes about 30min for most food to be done. Perfect for people who have no time!

Now, the greatest advantage is that the food keeps all its natural flavor and hence no additions are needed. No oil, salt, etc. You can add some in the end and it's healthier that way.

Thinks that taste GREAT after having been steamed are:

-poultry (especially chicken breast fillet)
    -salmon
    -other fish
    -burgers (especially chicken burgers)
    but NOT lean red meat such as steak, it turns out too dry and hard (tried that to no success ).

-all kinds of veggies. Broccoli, courgette, beets, radishes, turnips, potatoes, carrots, peppers, etc.
    -white mushrooms. They taste GREAT after steaming! They are juicy and keep all their flavor

-Rice, beans, lentils, etc.

So the steam cooker is a very healthy and tasty way to prepare protein meals such as chicken and fish as well as steamed vegetables.

Here's a great tip:
    when steaming chicken, the fluid that ends up inside the tray underneath the steam bowl is excellent quality chicken broth. You can collect that fluid and use it to make soup

This device helped me drop 20kg in one year. Because I ate everything without oil or heavy cooking, it was easy to eat big, fulfilling meals but with half the calories of a normally cooked dish, say a stew, which has oil and sauce.

More tips:

-Switch every white grain you eat with brown grains. Whole wheat bread, brown sugar, etc.

-Switch milk chocolate for dark chocolate.

- Eat a healthy and full breakfast, preferably something with cereal or muesli, and don't skip meals. Eat small meals every 3 hours (about 5-6 meals a day).

- Eat a lot of seasonal salads with canned tuna fish, which goes well with all veggies, tastes delicious, and is an excellent and inexpensive source of protein. A tuna fish salad is a full meal and can substitute a dish with burger and fries with twice as much nutritional value, and half the calories.

- Drink alcohol with moderation

- Exercise!! as much as you can If not possible to go to the gym, try to walk at least half an hour a day, and take the stairs instead of the elevator

Good luck!

P.S.
    the fastest meals one can prepare with good nutritional value, are salads (with a protein addition such as tuna, chicken, cheese, nuts, etc) and sandwiches. You can make a sandwich with whole wheat bread and ingredients such as chicken, lettuce, cheese, etc. Very healthy and nutritious.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 02:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Ireland, Scotland
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    All excellent posts I will just add to buy in bulk if you can, it is cheaper in the long run. Bulk rice and beans will keep a long time.

Dehydrate food in your oven or buy a dehydrator this way you can extend your more perishable foods Beef or other meat jerky is an excellent source of lean protein. Usually the leanest cuts of meat are also the cheapest.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 01:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    eat fish and nuts instead of meat

avoid white bread and any other heavily processed foods

use only unrefined cane sugar, honey, agave nectar or maple syrup as sweeteners

Vodka is far less toxic than whiskey

coffee is a good antioxidant, as are cherries and berries.

note: vegetable foods contain no cholestrol.

most commercially sold dairy is poison

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ælfrun View Post
    First off, you should be taking vitamins and supplements.
    2000UI-4000IU of Vitamin D. Vitamin B12 as soon as you wake up on an empty stomach before you take any other supplements. B12 on its own blocks the absorption of other nutrients and vitamins. Also take a B complex. With our modern lifestyles, we are prone to burn out and stress. This will help.
    Well, I don´t think it´s a good idea to rely on artificial supplement pills. If we maintain a balanced nutrition then such products aren´t needed at all. If our Germanic ancestors could live and create kingdoms and the most magnificent inventions of the planet without supplement pills, we can do it as well.

It´s important to have a steady and adequate input of red meat, vegetables, fruits, milk products and cereals. You don´t need to prepare meals if you don´t want to or don´t have the time, deep-frozen convenience food which is ready to serve is better than its reputation. You can have goulash with sauce, pasta and shock-frozen vegetables in 5 minutes. It´s better than fast food and better than supplement pills. One example:

But it´s also important to clear time for food and for preparing food. Nothing on the world should be so important that you neglect your nutrition and purely rely on fast food or the chronic usage of supplement pills!

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 @ 03:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married parent
    Occupation
    healthcare
    Politics