View Poll Results: Which denomination of Christianity to you belong to, or were you raised in?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Episcopal/Anglican

7 11.29%
  • Catholic

17 27.42%
  • Methodist

4 6.45%
  • Reformed/Presbyterian/Calvinist

5 8.06%
  • Orthodox/Greek, Serbian, Russian Orthodox/Coptic

6 9.68%
  • Pentecostal

0 0%
  • Baptist

3 4.84%
  • Lutheran

15 24.19%
  • Other

5 8.06%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which Denomination Are You, or Were You Raised In?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lydig View Post
    I would say geographically.
    It goes from Aust-agder to Møre og Romsdal, mainly on the coast.
    Thanks Lydig. This area seems to include much of the most densely populated parts of Norway (with the exception of the area around Oslo).

Does the "Bible belt" include both Bergen and Trondheim or is it only in the rural areas that religion is strong?
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Last Online
    Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 @ 09:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    America
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Presbyterian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would say geographically.
    It goes from Aust-agder to Møre og Romsdal, mainly on the coast.
    Interesting Norway has a Bible Belt too! I knew the Dutch had one along with ourselves. Wonder if the British or the Germans have them.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 @ 10:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Nordic Union Nordic Union
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    Thanks Lydig. This area seems to include much of the most densely populated parts of Norway (with the exception of the area around Oslo).

Does the "Bible belt" include both Bergen and Trondheim or is it only in the rural areas that religion is strong?

I guess there was some inflation in my bible belt!
    Im not a expert on this, but i would say that Aust-agder (Kristiansand etc) is the most religious area.
    There is also allot of christians in the areas of Sogn og Fjordane and Møre og Romsdal.
    To generalize the whole coast was wrong of me, but i thing some consider the whole part as the belt.

In my opinion, there is more religious people in the rural areas, Kristiansand is an exception.
    I live in Trondheim now, and i dont feel there is much chrisitan activity here.
    When i grew up then half of the neighborhood went to the same church, i dont see that here, maybe im wrong
    Kapitalisme er ikke mer til den enkelte!
    Kapitalisme er mer til enkelte!

-Lydig

Last Online
    Saturday, April 8th, 2017 @ 09:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I was raised as a Presbyterian, but it was never a part of everyday life by any means. Instead being sent to Sunday school or Bible camps, I was forced to attend etiquette classes. Where I learned the fine “art” of figuring out which fork goes where and how to use a napkin like a gentleman. The only time we would attend a service was on a holiday or when someone had the sudden urge to attend and thought it would be a good idea to drag my sister and I along with them. Around the age of 15 I made an attempt to be a part of a church and gave Christianity an honest try, but soon realized that it wasn't for me.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I live in Trondheim now, and i dont feel there is much chrisitan activity here.
    When i grew up then half of the neighborhood went to the same church, i dont see that here, maybe im wrong
    That makes sense. I spent 3 months in Trondheim once, as a student. I can't say I noticed much evidence of christianity. The Nidaros seemed to be more of a tourist attraction than a religious institution.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Deutschland
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I am a born again Christian of the Reformed faith.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
    Patrick Henry

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What Hersir described about Norwegian conditions could also fit Denmark and my experience with it:

Folkekirken (Danish National Church) is a Lutheran-Evangelical church which has a peculiar and increasingly problematic relationship with the secular Danish state.

I was baptised as a child by a priest, in a church. The whole deal. And then... Nothing. Like most Danish families of the time we never attended Church except baptisms, confirmations, weddings and funeral. Some of my school mates attended Christmas service with their families but my mother claimed that it was 'too crowded'.
    My Grandmother taught me how to pray evening prayers, but nothing else and I seriously doubt that it was any kind of deep devotion that made her do it. Probably more like simple tradition.

All of a sudden I was fourteen years old and had to attend confirmation. Nobody asked me beforehand or seemed to care much for my opinion on the matter and I just went along with it, not wishing to cause any trouble. I was way to immature to decide if I actually believed in God or Christianity.
    As I have described elsewhere, several years later I gave Christianity an honest try before deciding that it was essentially bogus and had nothing of any value to me. I formally cancelled my membership of Folkekirken (like all native Danes I automatically received a membership when I was born) and now I no longer have to pay Church Tax.

The few dealings with the Church that I have had since then have confirmed that I did the right thing: all members of the clergy I have met have been shallow, life-weary and at best mediocre thinkers while pretty much any practising Christian layman I have encountered has had a behaviour and morality as bad as everybody else or even worse.

The Christians who ran the leisure time soldier club at my Army barracks were a nice, friendly and agreeable group of people right until they pulled out their Bibles and demanded that I share my thoughts on this or that topic before I was allowed to eat my hard-earned dinner. For some reason they were not the least discouraged by me rolling my eyes and sighing loudly, but I had the courtesy to conceal my honest opinion about their Bible. Ever since I have tried to just treat Folkekirken with the mild neglect towards it that I was raised with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sindig_og_stoisk For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I'm interested in the revival of Calvinism in America. I embrace the Puritan covenant now and am done with Popery and Prelacy. I was raised a Yankee and two of my grandparents owe their roots to 1630s Massachusetts Bay. This is our tradition as Americans, whatever may be the case for Britain and Ireland. I'm not ashamed of my ancestors, no matter what the immigrants think.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234