Not one of the sheep
    Religion
    Not one of the sheep
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Do the heathens of modern times actually home-school their wee ones and teach them the customs, history, lore, etc. of the old religion, or the 'natural religion?' as the Christians call it This is, and always has been, a fascinating topic to me since I am a Catholic (of the esoteric variety).

I mean no disrespect whatsoever; hail!
    Yes. Some do.

As I said prior I was taught heathenry from my parents and grandparents as it has been passed down through the generations in our family.

Has nothing to do with this "new age" garbage as christianity actually has had very little meaning in the household for a rather long time. Or more accurately christianity was a convenient facade to hide behind so the neighbors never questioned but outside the church doors well it had little to no meaning.

My great-grandfather, for example, may have been a well-respected priest that people came from other towns miles away to hear. He did have a nice voice. But for him it was a job to put food on the table. Outside of the job setting it actually meant nothing. The bible was never kept in his house [or any family house for that matter], he never entertained his "flock" at the house he went to their places and kept his copy of the "good book" in the glovebox of his car, no one ever prayed over dinner there [or in any other household]. But nightly he would follow old practices as he had been taught by his grandparents.

After all, a whopping grand total of 7 people attend church, and even they do so out of obligation [as in it is expected in the town they live in] than any real belief, out of my relatives down to 4th cousins/their parents and they married into the family they're not blood.

Such though can be found among older families, as in old authentic families from that region and whose tie is more than just vague assumptions (e.g. they have lived there for a long while), all over the world. You'll find such behaviors - the following of old traditions / folklore without any malarky "new age" garbage influence - in some Germanic regions, some Slavic regions, some northern English regions, etc., etc., etc.

However, as I said on another post those old folklores and traditions are something outsiders won't ever readily be taught. Why should they be taught? Mostly it is a waste of time as they had any semblance of belief beaten out of their ancestors and they really only want to "learn" because they are dissatisfied with the church.

After all, why do you think "new age" and its variations took off? The ever amusing sheeple that don't like the church but are still oh-so-desperate to belong within a flock. In my mind personally I view anyone who read any of the old traditions in a book, or on a website, or had to attend some session first as a new ager regardless of how hard they protest otherwise because that is what they are.

But truth be told most people who readily train outsiders any "practices" are widely just frauds taking advantage of sad new agers and other naive little darlings. Why not since it is such easy money. New agers and their dissatisfied christian ilk are, after all, easier to lead about than leading a bull around by the nose.

Spirit of the Reich
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Volksdeutscher
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    I-M170
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gemini
    Family
    Polyamory
    Occupation
    Herbalist
    Politics
    Ecological Geniocracy
    Religion
    Vedic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    This is, and always has been, a fascinating topic to me since I am a Catholic (of the esoteric variety).
    The Rosicrucian and Gnostic schools have much more to offer then the Heathens, so it's better to stick with that. Even Guido von List's Ariosophy is closer to Rosicrucianism than to modern heathenism.

Modern heathens base their stuff on a mix of Astrology, Kabbalah (which parallels the Tree of Life in every esoteric system), Tarot and its numerological correspondences, as well as bits and pieces picked from Western Alchemy and Oriental Tantrism, then re-labelled in Icelandic (to make it sound as "their" religion), then do their best to pretend it comes from some "unbroken line" since pre-Christian times... That's what all the "gothi" business is about.

Otherwise, the Waldorf Schools of Anthroposophy are pretty much the only worthy Germanic alternative for alternative schooling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12