Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    Wouldn't that apply also to most modern day residents of Germany-no effort other than being born?
    It is not about getting an A for effort, the criteria have to be fulfilled, unfair advantages or not and who doesn't is not German, full stop.

The lifestyle difference of the average resident of the US and Germany is probably less so today than 100 years or even 50 years ago, and both equally alien to a mutual ancestor who was born in Germany in the 19th century or before.
    Let's all toast to Western degeneracy and how it is bringing the world together!

The idea is obviously not to simply copy the culture of Germany proper, although this would wield some influence as a national culture, it is about a local community of German speakers that unfolds a cultural dynamic and this can include cultural influences from Germany, from the people surrounding them or even their own creations, which will naturally grow as time moves on. My people were not native to East Prussia, but they created a German culture there over the course of seven centuries. Take this PA Dutch poem, for example:

Heut is 's xäctly zwanzig Johr
    Dass ich bin owwe naus;
    Nau bin ich widder lewig z'rück
    Und steh am Schulhaus an d'r Krick
    Juscht nächst ans Daddy's Haus.

Most of it is recognizable as Rhine Franconian and although a number of English loan words are present, it remains German in character. New soil, new Germans, that much is understandable, but the fact that our identity is currently being destroyed within our core lands does not release a single German from his duty, wherever he may reside.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    What do you think of Colonials (Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc.) who identify as European?
    I think it would be denying a huge part of oneself if one was to disregard their own country of birth and the country they were raised in, as well as the portion of their family's history where they ventured so far away from home to start a new life. I think we should honour our ancestors and closer family and be proud of them... Lord knows, it couldn't have been easy leaving the Old World for the New... What adventures and battles they must have had! I wonder what our ancestors would have thought if they could have known that in many generations to come their family would be so ashamed or dismissive of them and their journeys that they decided to disregard it altogether and just focus on their family history from the Old World.

We "colonials" should be proud of our own personal histories, as well as the collective histories that forged our New World countries. It's part of who we are. For the most part, old time colonists were amazing characters.... strong, innovative, resourceful, resilient.... they had to be to survive.... and their spirit lives on in us. We are their legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deary
    Specifically, I refer to those whose families have been in the New World for some generations, did not inherit any European traditions but who try to practice and pass down the language, culture and history of their distant ancestors
    It's impossible for someone who has descended from European colonists, and whose ancestors never assimilated into some foreign native population, to not inherit any European traditions. As I said in this post...

(http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php...81&postcount=4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie
    What do people think happens within a couple of generations of a mass migration of people leaving their homelands to colonise an all but empty land?? All of a sudden, all by themselves they just snap up a new culture, new value system etc out of thin air?? Cultural evolution just isn't so instantaneous. [...] You can't erase 1000's of years of cultural and physical history along with 1000's of years of racial evolution simply by moving to a different land mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Deary
    Europeans, do you accept these people as one of your own, and Colonials, how do they make you feel?
    I feel a strong sense of kinship familiarity etc with those from the British Isles nations in the Old World... but that's it really. I don't identify myself as being "European" at all (apart from racially), and continental Europeans are no ethnic kin to me.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Salford
    What I don't like, though, is someone telling me I have to identify completely with one side or the other.
    Exactly. People really overestimate their own importance if they think that they have the right to tell someone else who they are. It's such a deeply personal issue and is a matter for one's own family... not a matter for complete strangers who know nothing of you or your family at all to come over and comment on.

Last Online
    Saturday, February 18th, 2017 @ 10:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    I'm Elite
    Religion
    Jesus isn't
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here in New Zealand as colonials we have inherited somewhat British ways of life. We are yet to identify a seperate "New Zealand" culture. Even for 5th generation New Zealanders the box they will tick in the Census will proclaim them as New Zealand European. I think it depends on the nation and the individual as to wether or not they could be considered as European. New Zealand is still a young country that has not fully developed it's individuality from Britain. Is this happens more and we gain National Identity I believe moore peopole will associate themselves with it. Personally I do still identify as European. I am a 2nd generation New Zealander on my Dads sade and 4th or 5th on my Mums side. But as far as I know, all of my genes are European. A friend of mine however is a 5-6th generation New Zealander and he no longer associates himself as Eorupean but as a New Zealander. This question is really a matter of how many generations away from your homeland can you hang onto your roots for?
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

- Bilbo Baggins

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainraven View Post
    This question is really a matter of how many generations away from your homeland can you hang onto your roots for?
    Do roots ever die? I think rather than us hanging onto them, they are part of us whether we like it or not.

Last Online
    Saturday, February 18th, 2017 @ 10:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    I'm Elite
    Religion
    Jesus isn't
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Do roots ever die? I think rather than us hanging onto them, they are part of us whether we like it or not.
    This is true. I do know that I wouldn't forget about mine or give them up, ever. Perhaps it is the state of mind the colonial is in? As a preservationist I hang onto these roots, while other, less caring people simply take their culture as where the were born/grew up.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

- Bilbo Baggins

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainraven View Post
    This is true. I do know that I wouldn't forget about mine or give them up, ever. Perhaps it is the state of mind the colonial is in? As a preservationist I hang onto these roots, while other, less caring people simply take their culture as where the were born/grew up.
    That's the whole plan, really. If your identity is focused more around the place you live rather than ancestral lineage, then your selection of a mate will be effected as well-if you happen to live in the same area as a Maori, or a black, or whatever, then you won't think anything wrong with marrying and having children with one, since they are 'your people' and you identify with them.

Ethnic identity isn't a perfect or precise term, as evidenced by this thread and the other one with 12+ pages of posts, but generally it has served to keep people breeding within a closely related group of subraces as transportation and communications technology increased interaction between people from widely disparate areas of the globe.

So, if you replace an ethnic identity based on ancestral heritage with an identity based on physical locale, then people will be more likely to identify and breed with others of the locale who identify as 'New Zealanders', Australians', 'Americans', 'New Yorkers', 'Londoners' etc. This will be particuarly effective if you increase migration from 3rd world countries into areas previously populated by people of northern European ancestry, and use the media and educational system to emphasize local identity and de-emphasize or vilify identity based on ancestral heritage. "West Side!" "Support the local sports team!"

End result, the old racial/subracial barriers are broken down, and eventually disappear.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Hmm, I don't really want to be or think of myself as European. No sweat.

I like how Crystal Rose puts it: European parts, assembled in America.

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    So, if you replace an ethnic identity based on ancestral heritage with an identity based on physical locale, then people will be more likely to identify and breed with others of the locale who identify as 'New Zealanders', Australians', 'Americans', 'New Yorkers', 'Londoners' etc.
    Yes, the lack of exclusive nationalism based on ius sanguinis is a problem in the Jacobin West that worships ius soli, which is why I can understand the temptation to "throw the baby out with the bath water" as the saying goes. What needs to be done is either ethnic revivalism (as I described) or the creation of new identities that can reliably include and exclude people. I don't know how inclusive the concepts of being a New Englander, Southerner, Texan, Cohee etc. are, but the situation in Bavaria is that newcomers (Zugroaste) can practically forget about "becoming Bavarian" and this specifically targets other Germans as well.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, October 1st, 2010 @ 11:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauke Haien View Post
    I don't know how inclusive the concepts of being a New Englander, Southerner, Texan, Cohee etc. are, but the situation in Bavaria is that newcomers (Zugroaste) can practically forget about "becoming Bavarian" and this specifically targets other Germans as well.
    What it means to be a Southerner has become so much more inclusive than it ever was before. We can thank a number of unfortunate events for that. Nowadays, many of the folks you see parading around as Southern, aren't really Southern. Some seem to think you don't have to have a family history in the South, be born and raised in the South, and be of any particular ancestry; people just so little as have to favor our fair way of life and they're granted the title. It's disheartening because we're losing ahold of our identity. All the snowbirds and folks from other parts of the world I've seen, as much as they appear to admire and want to be a part of our culture, there's just things they'll never truly grasp. They can't ever love the South in all its glory quite like we do. I wish more wouldn't be so afraid to reject outsiders who try to be Southern. We'll welcome folks to visit and have a nice stay and teach others about our ways (granted they don't insult us), but we are a people unto ourselves and we must do everything to preserve that.

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast