Manifest Destiny
    Religion
    God
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Svanhild may've been suggesting the decrepit infrastructure of the US as an ironic statement about the claims the the country is a bastion of technological, well-developed advancement?
    Who claimed such things though?

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus. Primus's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Republicanism, traditionalism, .
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodericus View Post
    Who claimed such things though?
    It's true to some extent, what with the state of, say, the interstate highway system (constructed during the Eisenhower years, I believe), the electrical power grid and the fear of widespread blackouts, and so on. One of my biggest pet peeves is that the US federal government can spend literally trillions of dollars on foreign wars, welfare programs, etc. but scant little by comparison for public works. When was the last time the US had a building boom like it had in the 30s, 40s, and 50s? That'd be a great way to create jobs, albeit on a temporary basis, a massive nationwide public works program to update the nation's roads, bridges, rail lines, etc.

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 05:26 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    State
    Florida Florida
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Manifest Destiny
    Religion
    God
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    It's true to some extent, what with the state of, say, the interstate highway system (constructed during the Eisenhower years, I believe), the electrical power grid and the fear of widespread blackouts, and so on. One of my biggest pet peeves is that the US federal government can spend literally trillions of dollars on foreign wars, welfare programs, etc. but scant little by comparison for public works. When was the last time the US had a building boom like it had in the 30s, 40s, and 50s? That'd be a great way to create jobs, albeit on a temporary basis, a massive nationwide public works program to update the nation's roads, bridges, rail lines, etc.
    The interstate system was genius, I have heard it was constructed so that it would be possible for planes to make emergency landings, virtually along the entire highway.

I agree though. One thing that is a positive, is to imagine what can be achieved, when a positive government is in power, a government that really wants to see Anglo-Americans succeed.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus. Primus's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Republicanism, traditionalism, .
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodericus View Post
    The interstate system was genius, I have heard it was constructed so that it would be possible for planes to make emergency landings, virtually along the entire highway.

I agree though. One thing that is a positive, is to imagine what can be achieved, when a positive government is in power, a government that really wants to see Anglo-Americans succeed.
    The interstate was set up to allow for the rapid mobilization of the military, for interstate commerce, and other reasons. It's a great example of American know-how that, sadly, is falling into disrepair in some areas. As I see it the political dinks in power at the federal level have no real desire to do anything for the good of the nation as a whole, thus you see no real attention paid to such problems. You might see some legislation that the bumfucks in Congress try to pass, always with this or that pork barrel attachment, or it's struck down or someone filibusters it or...

The states often undertake highway repair but the states are usually strapped for financing and thus don't have the proper resources or logistics to do what the national government should be doing instead (i.e. fixing things that pertain to the country in its entirety).

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Country
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We are making solar powered cars and have 4 current private space flights, I think we'll be alright in the future.
    Til árs ok friðar

Proffessional Hickerbilly SpearBrave's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    IMHO most Europeans fail to grasp the geographic size of America when it comes to things like infrastructure and things like public transportation. The funny thing is that we as a people do ok even when we have power outages and road closings. Sure we complain, but in the end we get things done and most of the time without government interaction.

note: we "as a people" means the 'white' population.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 11:21 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Italy, Austria.
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Texas Texas
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Breathing.
    Politics
    None.
    Religion
    None.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Not really an old spirit, else those old things would work on you just fine. Also, cowboys only actually existed for about a decade, as long as it took for the railroad system to connect the Great Lakes where the slaughterhouses (factories really) were to Texas. After that it was just a stereotype. So it's really not much of a theme to base your culture on. Maybe the southern tobacco farmer or something would make more sense.
    Where are you getting this information from? Cowboys still exist to this day, not as the stereotype, but as an actual form of work. Maybe not in the numbers they used to be, sure, but they still exist.

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 04:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian American
    Ancestry
    Norwegian, German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think hyphenated Americanism is ok because while we try to preserve some of the cultural heritage of our ancestors, we are still Americans and the hyphen is more of an adjective. But Colonials as Europeans, I don't think that's realistic... Unless someone was born and raised in Europe and moved to the New World at a later stage, I think to assume a predominant or complete European identity is being out of touch with reality. We are Americans, and we shouldn't pretend like we are something else. I have a feeling that some of those people who deny the American part of their identity might have an identity crisis or are ashamed of their country for some reason. For some it has to do with WWII and fighting on the "wrong" side. The way I see it, that kind of guilt isn't any better than the white guilt, slavery guilt, etc. If we go back in time long enough, most of our people fought on opposite sides. There are many things to be proud of as an American, so we shouldn't shed this part of our identity.

Senior Member Rodskarl Dubhgall's Avatar
    Last Online
    7 Hours Ago @ 05:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Swedish & Dutch
    Country
    State
    Rhode Island Rhode Island
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Lorry Driver
    Politics
    Republican
    Religion
    Geneva Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    The question is more often than not, as to whether colonists are still British, since the New World Germanic countries are by and large, all products of England and/or Britain. It's not like the Isles consider the Continent to be close kindred, so to ask whether colonists would feel affinity is neither here nor there.

On the other hand, what makes American and Commonwealth identities different, largely have to do with some European Union co-colonial foundations of each country. America has Dutch and Swedish links, largely through marriages contracted by the Stewart monarchy. Canada has French and German identity to differentiate between us and them, as the Brunswickers were the ones who won Canada and defeated the Bonapartes as well. Whilst South Africa has Dutch and British combined, it's hampered by cohabitation with Negroids. Australia may have kept the faith, but New Zealand is bilingual with Austronesians.

So, only Americans and Australians are resolutely Germanic and only Australia hasn't gone beyond Britishness, yet America has done well assimilating fellow Germanic folks within an even stricter English mould. Our institutions predate the current British Union, sourced to the Cromwellian government.
    https://forums.skadi.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45371&datel  ine=1529458786

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344