Fascist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    Idunn means in proto-nordic "eager", "substainable", "who likes to work", "dilligent", "effective" or "recurrent work". We know her in Greek mythology as Persephone. In Roman mythology, she is called Proserpina.

In Classical Greek art, Persephone is invariably portrayed robed; often carrying a sheaf of grain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persephone
    Now how sure are we that the two are really one and the same deity? I that seems awfully close to the mistake Tacitus and Caesar made in their reports on the Gauls and Germans (ie assigning Norse deities names based on their pantheon).

I know that they're both Indo-Aryan peoples ultimately, and have some similarities even with Hinduism, but those similarities never seem to be especially deep. Look at Japan and China, both are Sino-Japanese descendants and their native deities are most definitely different entities.

Again, I'm not saying there's no connection, but calling Persephone and Idunna the same deity sounds a little too Joseph Campbell to me.
    Last edited by svartleby; Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: forgot to quote

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 03:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Welsh-Scots
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Married
    Politics
    Green Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Maybe not the same deity, but derived from the same source?

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/German
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia/Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right-wing conspirator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    No where is it said they were "apples" in the bible. The hebrew translates as the generic "fruit". They began to be called apples as others have said, to christianize Idunna's apples.

I'm a big believer in the idea that if you are going to call yourself by a religion, you need to follow your religious texts, or you aren't really a believer. I've pointed out time and again that not only are the "holidays" pagan, but are being celebrated in the pagan manner. I ask how can they use christmas trees, Yule logs, wreaths, do easter egg hunts, play dress-up on halloween, etc?

Their answer was "well, we changed that, it doesn't mean that anymore." I told them that first, identify anywhere in the bible where it authorizes them to follow celebrations of other religions. Then, point out where it says you can change those celebrations to fit your wants (it doesn't and evenly explicitly forbids such in the old testament, and generally in the new testament). Finally I point out that modern pagans and heathens do in fact celebrate their holy days as they did in the past, they do mean the same thing they always have, and that christians who celebrate these days, especially those who do so in the pagan manner, are a laughingstock because of it. I was told to shut up and stop being divisive. "It's like showing a child what they are doing is wrong, and now they can't have fun anymore." In other words, "If you tell us it's wrong, conscience will make us have to stop, iff you don't tell us, we are innocent and can keep doing what we want because we don't know better."

That's one of the things really souring me on it.

Something that seems to be a thorn in their side is that I was brought up in a very old-fashioned and traditional American way (meaning much was carried over from Europe). So I was told a lot of the old stories right alongside the bible stories, and as a kid, thought they came from the same source. Later, of course, as I read and read (I am a voracious reader), I discovered their pagan/heathen sources, and can't keep from pointing these things out.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Angelfolc
    Ancestry
    Angles, Frisians, Saxons
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Y-DNA
    Y
    mtDNA
    X
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Hannover Hannover
    Yorkist
    Occupation
    Once More Unto the Breach
    Politics
    Welf
    Religion
    ex-U.C. of England & Ireland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Anybody honest about his Tro, will know that our embrace of Forn Sidr is irreparably distorted by anachronistic interpretations, complicating the fact of Christian syncretism. As Churchill said of Ivar the Boneless, he lived a Heathen and died a Christian, having the best of both worlds. What then was he and how would he like to have been remembered? Can any of us truly proclaim Christianity or Heathenry not influenced by both?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12