Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    It would be nice to see serious reenactment of Heathenry which did not mock previous customs with some liberal psychobabble. I would like to see archaeological ruins be repaired for use in all Paganism, and not just Heathenry. Imagine the temples refurbished wherever their remains still show. I would hope the same for political buildings like castles. I like looking at the things Greece and Rome left over for us to see. It's too bad we ourselves did not leave so much a legacy before Christianity came, sort of like how the Celts did not have the advantage of time to build an empire before Rome took the initiative. Oh well.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/German
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia/Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right-wing conspirator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the "hippy grrls" took to Celtic paganism first, and lay claim to it, and disregard anything that doesn't fit their agenda.

For instance, they like to wax poetic about "the goddess" (as if there's only one), and tend to make them all warm and fuzzy. I love to hear them talk about the Morrigu as the hag, or mother goddess of Ireland, entirely ignoring that she was a fearful thing, a shrieking battle goddess who claimed the heads of the best of the slain warriors (Macha's acorns), and much like Freyja, got first pick of the dead warriors. Furthermore all of her champions and kings were men, not women.

Another favorite is Brigidh, who is patroness of bards, blacksmiths, etc -- ass male occupations. But they ignore that, too.

They ignore that the spiritual priests, the druids, were men, not women. The closest thing to what femme-pagans see as a priestess were the midwives -- engaged in the arts of childbirth, which was seen as a duty of the women (by the women at that), which these modern pagans want to eschew.

They also like that women were allowed to rule in Celtic cultures, so they have this fantasy of a lesbian matriarchy. What they don't pay heed to is that Celtic culture was ruled by men. Women could rule, but only if the dying king had no sons, brothers or cousins. The queen ruled until she had sons or grandsons, who would inherit the throne. Woman rulers like Boudicea were a rarity. Yet, even when they did rule, they were as concerned with motherhood as being queen. One of the primary factors in choosing a mate was he had to be able to produce children, and it was grounds for divorce if he didn't.

All things that rail against the lesbo-paganism that the Celtic traditions have been usurped by.

Whereas Germanic heathenism recognizes roles for men and women and that they are different. I also don't think anyone in their right mind would call a Germanic woman a weak doormat, so you'd figure that women would be attracted to it. So I think the dominance of females in Celtic paganism is due for to their agenda that any real cultural differences. I also don't see it as something limited to American paganism/heathenry, either, it seems to be pretty universal as to which types are attracted.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    I remembered the Hippies used a Germanic rune for the peace sign and the difference in mythology, with headless Celtic personalities. Celtic themes tend to overlap with grim and macabre occult sects like Witchcraft and Satanism, whereas Germanic themes are more shamanistic. Trends in Germanic neopaganism tend to follow those of the Celts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12