Single adult
    Religion
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Viking knitwear

Nålebinding is the ancient technique of single needle stitching to create clothing. The word Nålebinding, Naalbinding, Nålbinding or Naalebinding means "binding with a needle" and was a technique used by the Germanic / Scandinavian people to make clothing. The short of it is that you loop threads together into each other to create rows of loops, then sew other rows into each other with one continuous strand of wool / yarn.

There are different types of stitches used in different areas during different periods of time. I got my mother interested in the Oslo Stitch and I made her a needle out of wood.

What I am wondering is if anyone has any references to any patterns, or if anyone has been using any of the different forms of stitching and can give any advice ? There is very limited information that I could find online, even to buy some basic books I only found one website just selling a few. I thought there might be more relevant information on some websites in other languages that I haven't found, since I'd imagine it is very unpopular in the USA. Any information, tips and patterns would be highly appreciated.

Love Conquers All
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazlekar View Post

What I am wondering is if anyone has any references to any patterns, or if anyone has been using any of the different forms of stitching and can give any advice ? There is very limited information that I could find online, even to buy some basic books I only found one website just selling a few. I thought there might be more relevant information on some websites in other languages that I haven't found, since I'd imagine it is very unpopular in the USA. Any information, tips and patterns would be highly appreciated.
    There are some really good videos on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gBknsoqi8U

And this website was particularly helpful to me...

http://sites.google.com/site/neulakinnas/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12