Elvish monarch
    Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Horses Could Soon Be Slaughtered for Meat in US

Horses could soon be butchered in the US for human consumption after Congress quietly lifted a five-year-old ban on funding horse meat inspections, and activists say slaughterhouses could be up and running in as little as a month.

Slaughter opponents pushed a measure cutting off funding for horse meat inspections through Congress in 2006 after other efforts to pass outright bans on horse slaughter failed in previous years. Congress lifted the ban in a spending bill US President Barack Obama signed into law November 18 to keep the government afloat until mid-December.

It did not, however, allocate any new money to pay for horse meat inspections, which opponents claim could cost taxpayers US$3 million (NZ$3.8m) to US$5 million (NZ$6.4m) a year. The US Department of Agriculture would have to find the money in its existing budget, which is expected to see more cuts this year as Congress and the White House aim to trim federal spending.

The USDA issued a statement yesterday saying there are no slaughterhouses in the US that butcher horses for human consumption now, but if one were to open, it would conduct inspections to make sure federal laws were being followed. USDA spokesman Neil Gaffney declined to answer questions beyond what was in the statement.

The last US slaughterhouse that butchered horses closed in 2007 in Illinois, and animal welfare activists warned of massive public outcry in any town where a slaughterhouse may open.
    Read more here
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...for-meat-in-US

IAmTheRayII
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Wales, Scotland, Ireland
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Politics
    AltRight
    Religion
    Asatrú
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My mistake, I guess people want horse.....haha, them eat horse...I don't have any objections, sometimes I should shut up and think longer I guess. Being from Kentucky, I generally don't think of horses as food...

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German, Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    We need the horse slaughter houses to reopen.

Since their closing, old, dangerous and injured horses have been going to waste.

Many have simply been released as owners could no longer afford to feed them. Often starving in our cold northern winters.

These animals are being wasted. Their meat,bone, etc, are used for many things other than human consumption.

P.S. I have no problem with eating horse. If you are not a vegetarian, why would you not eat horse?
    "Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect."

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    The pleasure horse market is based on the kill price of horses. Since they quit killing horses here the horse business has been at a huge loss. Often times the horses that are killed are either permanently lame, old, or crazy. These animals need to be put down anyway so why not put them to good use.

There is nothing wrong with horse meat, I have had horse meat in stew and in salami it tasted fine.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karolvs View Post
    But this is a good example of trying to alienate the U.S., to make it seem like we eat horse meat.
    Sometimes it's better to look beyond the Anglosphere as well. When Iceland was Christianised, one of the concessions for peaceful conversion was that they could continue eating horse meat. In Austria/Bavaria, Pferdeleberkäse is considered a speciality, and specific horse butchers exist all across Germany.

Even in Italy, the areas more influenced by Celtics and Germanics (i.e. the North) is more prone to consuming horse meat, whilst it is generally frowned upon in Southern Italy. The "best salami" is traditionally made either from donkey or horse meat, having salami down as a pork sausage is a rather recent phenomenon and a by-product of the over-domestication of the swine making it a cheaper meat.

As for the so-called "alienisation", remember that horse meat is forbidden for Jews and is disputed amongst Muslims (Turks and Persians usually eat it, Arabs don't). It is taboo also in the Balkans.

I'm not saying it's a good practice, and am myself rather indifferent - not particularly liking it, nor particularly condemning the practice - but do mention that the horse is usually a noble animal and that if it is slaughtered for food then it should be slaughtered with the dignity it deserves, without pain, and preferably when it would have had to be put down to begin with (such as when it has broken a bone, or is old, etc. pp.).

So much as I understand your bewilderment and offense, please inform yourself first before you speak. Just because you may think amongst Europeans, only the French --- renowned for their awkward culinary tastes --- eat it, doesn't mean it's true.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, January 25th, 2019 @ 01:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Religion
    My religious ways are odd.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I don't see the issue with eating a horse. Plenty of animals are smart. I guess since we see them as pets so much we forget they can still be food. If it's not raised as a pet, I don't see it as any different than a pig, cow or any other livestock. Our ancestors ate horses didn't they?

IAmTheRayII
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Wales, Scotland, Ireland
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Politics
    AltRight
    Religion
    Asatrú
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm not saying it's a terrible thing to eat horse meat. I've just never heard of much of a market for it. If there is...open them up, I have no problem with it...

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karolvs View Post
    This is a ridiculous story. There are not enough people willing to eat horse meat in the U.S. to make the butchering even viable. But this is a good example of trying to alienate the U.S., to make it seem like we eat horse meat. Maybe in a chinese restaurant, or Arabs or something might be willing to eat horse, but even blacks wouldn't and Whites are still 70% of the pop, while blacks are about 11 and hispanics are about 14%.
    From what I have read anglo saxon countries have a particular distaste for horse meat whilst in mainland Europe there exists other traditions. Horse meat is pretty uncommon on the whole here but can be found in certain cold cuts and sausages. I don't think much about it, I've eaten it and it's not a big deal. A couple of generations ago the worn out work-horses would be eaten by my family.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    312 Posts
    Horse meat is good, and it has been accociated with heathen customs, so the christians banned it in Norway.

It's not too uncommon here to eat mostly, usually as a dark sausage you slice and put on your bread. I've had horse for dinner, and it was very good. Dark meat, almost like moose/elk.

I think eating horse was also banned in Sweden when christianity came to power, maybe that's why the tradition mostly died it. I didn't know Iceland not had that law.

Fun fact: In the viking age they would sometimes let male horses fight on the ting to decide over a matter.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 5th, 2012 @ 03:15 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Norway/Ireland/England
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Work with horses
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
    We need the horse slaughter houses to reopen.

Since their closing, old, dangerous and injured horses have been going to waste.

Many have simply been released as owners could no longer afford to feed them. Often starving in our cold northern winters.

These animals are being wasted. Their meat,bone, etc, are used for many things other than human consumption.

P.S. I have no problem with eating horse. If you are not a vegetarian, why would you not eat horse?
    I agree. It is a neccessary "evil" for lack of better words. I've worked in the horse industry for nearly 25 years and see things quite differently now than I did when I first started and was horrified at these creatures being slaughtered.

I know people who had horses turned loose at friends farms by people who couldn't feed them anymore. They'd come in during the night and turn them loose and in the morning, the farm owners had "extra" horses that they now had to take care of for the time being.

I'd rather see them go to the slaughter house than starve to death in a field or locked in a barn without food.

I've not tried eating horse meat, but if given the chance I would try it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast