South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    I get my informations from actual modern archaeological studies.
    Tacitus, while being a most important resource of information is far from being infallible, much of what he recorded was mere hearsay.
    I agree, Tacitus is for a large part hearsay, but I don't see any reason for him lying, giving that the aim of his text would have been providing information to fellow Romans.

Everything we know about Alans and Sarmatians in general points to the fact that they were an Iranian people (although with a distinctly European phenotype for the most part and they're not to be confused with the modern day populations of Iran), with Iranian customs and language.

As for the Bastarnae: we simply don't know for certain what their exact ethnicity was, they possibly were either Celtic, Germanic (in light of the little evidence we have, most likely, granted) or already originally Sarmatian or possibly even a combination of all three. What Tacitus actually said about them was this however:
    Aren't the Slavic languages related to Iranian and Greek to some extent?

There's no mentioning about what they looked like, just that they looked different to Germans.
    In any case looks alone do not define ethnicity, that was as true back then as it is today.
    What about skeletal finds? Do they give us any ideas.

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Minutes Ago @ 08:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theunissen View Post
    I agree, Tacitus is for a large part hearsay, but I don't see any reason for him lying, giving that the aim of his text would have been providing information to fellow Romans.
    Well, I didn’t accuse him of consciously lying, just that we have to be cautious with things he likely hasn’t seen himself, nor probably even those that told him.
    That being said, we also can’t say with certainty that he hasn’t been to Germania, either. We only infer that from what we know about his life and that he, to our knowledge, never held an office in Germania.

Aren't the Slavic languages related to Iranian and Greek to some extent?
    So are all other Indo-European languages. Slavic and Baltic are probably mildly more related to the Indo-Iranian languages because they split later from the common source, after the speakers of the Centum languages had already moved west. But even that was thousands of years before the time we’re speaking about.
    Greek, on the other hand, has a pretty peculiar standing in the IE language tree and isn’t more related to Slavic than to any other IE language(save, perhaps, Armeian), to my knowledge.

I’m not entirely sure what you are getting at with this in the context of the thread, though? That the Bastarnae were proto-Slavs or perhaps, that Slavic is a creole of Germanic and some Iranian language?

What about skeletal finds? Do they give us any ideas.
    We don’t have material or skeletons that have Bastarnae or Peucini written all over them, so we wouldn’t know who is who, even if we would find widely differing skeletons.

You could assume that finds of the, for ancient Germanics, relatively typical Reihengräber Nordid among remains of other subraces would signify the presence of Bastarnae.
    But that is faulty for three reasons: that it could equally well belong to some other Germanic group, that mixtures of some Cromagnid and Nordid types, which could produce something remniscient of a Reihengräber Nordid were generally common in Eastern Europe at that time and thirdly, that it runs contrary to what Tacitus said in the first place, that they have to some degree the appearance of Sarmatians.

Whatever the latter means in the first place. Coon concludes his chapter about the Scythians and Sarmatians like this:
    We have seen that the Scythians and Sarmatians, although they undoubtedly included in their ranks many individuals of different political affiliations, formed nevertheless a quite constant principal racial type, which was essentially Iranian and a form of Nordic. In its characteristic low vault, as in other dimensions, it specifically resembled the earlier eastern European and central Asiatic Nordic form. It was essentially a member of the racial cluster associated with the spread of Satem Indo-European speech in both eastern Europe and Asia.
    But I don't think that the Romans would have considered a Nordid appearance "vile" if they didn't say the same about the Germanics and explicitly use that to distinguish the Sarmatians from them.

It’s all the more unlikely to identify the Bastarnae in the first place because they, according to Tacitus, had a nomadic way of living and nomadic groups naturally leave few traces.
    Basically we only have a name and cannot even identify or distinguish their material culture from other East Germanic groups. Besides that, most East Germanic groups still cremated at that time.

Whoever they were, it's probably forever lost to history.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12