Thread: Pig-tailed Pippi Longstocking Books Branded 'racist' by German Theologian

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 09:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    New Zealand European
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish, Icelandic, Scandinavian, Irish
    Subrace
    Hallstatt Keltic Nordid
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Elvish monarch
    Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Exclamation Pig-tailed Pippi Longstocking Books Branded 'racist' by German Theologian

Sweden's much-loved Pippi Longstocking children books have been branded racist by a leading German theologian.
    Dr Eske Wollrad, from Germany's Federal Association of Evangelical Women, has called on parents to skip certain passages or else explain to their children that they contain outdated colonial stereotypes.

She hit out at the Pippi Longstocking trilogy, written by author Astrid Lindgren and first published in 1945, at an anti-discrimination state conference in Leipzig at the weekend.
    Dr Wollrad told German newspaper The Local: 'It is not that the figure of Pippi Longstocking is racist, but that all three in the trilogy of books have colonial racist stereotypes.'

In the books, Pippi is an eight-year-old with superhuman strength who does not want to grow up and hates pompous adults.

Her father, once a king of a South Seas island, was originally known as Negro King before publishers changed it to South Seas King.
    Dr Wollrad is demanding the book's publisher make additions in the books to guide readers when 'racist' content arises.

She said that in the third book, Pippi In The South Seas: 'The black children throw themselves into the sand in front of the white children in the book. When reading the book to my nephew, who is black, I simply left that passage out.'

She added: 'The question to ask yourself is whether you could read a certain passage out loud to a black child without stopping or stumbling. Only then can you say whether it is OK or not.'
    But Dr Wollrad did praise the trilogy for its feminist and pro-child innovations, a rarity in the 1940s.

She said: 'I would certainly not condemn the book completely - on the contrary, there are many very positive aspects to it.

'As well as being very funny, it is instructive for children as it not only has a strong female character... and she is fiercely opposed to violence against animals.'
    Astrid Lindgren died in 2002 aged 94. She remains best known for her three Pippi Longstocking books - Pippi Longstocking (1945), Pippi Goes On Board (1946) and Pippi In The South Seas (1948).

She wrote the first of the trilogy following a request from her unwell nine-year-old daughter Karen for a 'get well story'.

The books swiftly became a Swedish phenomenon and have been adapted numerous times for film and television.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...heologian.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...?newsfeed=true

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Like many other Swedish children, I was read the Pippi Longstocking stories when I was really young. But even as a kid, I had an understanding of race...I always asked my parents how come Pippi is a redheaded girl when her father is "King Negro of the South Sea"...

The Germanic Orthodoxy
    Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 12:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur View Post
    Like many other Swedish children, I was read the Pippi Longstocking stories when I was really young. But even as a kid, I had an understanding of race...I always asked my parents how come Pippi is a redheaded girl when her father is "King Negro of the South Sea"...
    Wasn't he supposed to be a Swedish (or simply White) seafarer who was shipwrecked on some island?

Wikipedia says this:
    As it turned out, Captain Longstocking was washed ashore upon a South Sea island known as Kurrekurredutt Isle, where he was made the "fat white chief" by its native people. The Captain returned to Sweden to bring Pippi to his new home in the South Seas [...] and the children sometimes took trips with her father aboard the Hoptoad, including a trip to Kurrekurredutt where she was confirmed as the "fat white chief's" daughter, Princess Pippilotta.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Wasn't he supposed to be a Swedish (or simply White) seafarer who was shipwrecked on some island?
    That's right. Come to think of it, I can recall the part about the long-lost dad who was a shipwrecked mariner. Now that I looked at wikipedia, it turns out that Pippi's dad was simply the king over a bunch of negroes (the confusion comes from the Swedish word "negerkungen", which implies that he is one himself.) Maybe there's many versions of the story?

Of course, from an adult point of view, Pippi is an anti-social kid with an overactive imagination, so it's very likely that she has many versions of the truth.
    Last edited by Alfadur; Friday, November 11th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Checked on wikipedia - Juthunge was right

Last Online
    19 Hours Ago @ 01:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur View Post
    Of course, from an adult point of view, Pippi is an anti-social kid with an overactive imagination, so it's very likely that she has many versions of the truth.
    And clearly a drug addict. Only the gods know what steroids she has been abusing...

Anachronism
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    She said that in the third book, Pippi In The South Seas: 'The black children throw themselves into the sand in front of the white children in the book. When reading the book to my nephew, who is black, I simply left that passage out.'
    And that is the why the problem is not with the book, but with YOU YOURSELF, you traitor.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.