Elvish monarch
    Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Exclamation Pig-Tailed Pippi Longstocking Books Branded 'Racist'

Sweden's much-loved Pippi Longstocking children books have been branded racist by a leading German theologian.
    Dr Eske Wollrad, from Germany's Federal Association of Evangelical Women, has called on parents to skip certain passages or else explain to their children that they contain outdated colonial stereotypes.

She hit out at the Pippi Longstocking trilogy, written by author Astrid Lindgren and first published in 1945, at an anti-discrimination state conference in Leipzig at the weekend.
    Dr Wollrad told German newspaper The Local: 'It is not that the figure of Pippi Longstocking is racist, but that all three in the trilogy of books have colonial racist stereotypes.'

In the books, Pippi is an eight-year-old with superhuman strength who does not want to grow up and hates pompous adults.

Her father, once a king of a South Seas island, was originally known as Negro King before publishers changed it to South Seas King.
    Dr Wollrad is demanding the book's publisher make additions in the books to guide readers when 'racist' content arises.

She said that in the third book, Pippi In The South Seas: 'The black children throw themselves into the sand in front of the white children in the book. When reading the book to my nephew, who is black, I simply left that passage out.'

She added: 'The question to ask yourself is whether you could read a certain passage out loud to a black child without stopping or stumbling. Only then can you say whether it is OK or not.'
    But Dr Wollrad did praise the trilogy for its feminist and pro-child innovations, a rarity in the 1940s.

She said: 'I would certainly not condemn the book completely - on the contrary, there are many very positive aspects to it.

'As well as being very funny, it is instructive for children as it not only has a strong female character... and she is fiercely opposed to violence against animals.'
    Astrid Lindgren died in 2002 aged 94. She remains best known for her three Pippi Longstocking books - Pippi Longstocking (1945), Pippi Goes On Board (1946) and Pippi In The South Seas (1948).

She wrote the first of the trilogy following a request from her unwell nine-year-old daughter Karen for a 'get well story'.

The books swiftly became a Swedish phenomenon and have been adapted numerous times for film and television.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...heologian.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...?newsfeed=true

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Like many other Swedish children, I was read the Pippi Longstocking stories when I was really young. But even as a kid, I had an understanding of race...I always asked my parents how come Pippi is a redheaded girl when her father is "King Negro of the South Sea"...

The Germanic Orthodoxy
    Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 07:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur View Post
    Like many other Swedish children, I was read the Pippi Longstocking stories when I was really young. But even as a kid, I had an understanding of race...I always asked my parents how come Pippi is a redheaded girl when her father is "King Negro of the South Sea"...
    Wasn't he supposed to be a Swedish (or simply White) seafarer who was shipwrecked on some island?

Wikipedia says this:
    As it turned out, Captain Longstocking was washed ashore upon a South Sea island known as Kurrekurredutt Isle, where he was made the "fat white chief" by its native people. The Captain returned to Sweden to bring Pippi to his new home in the South Seas [...] and the children sometimes took trips with her father aboard the Hoptoad, including a trip to Kurrekurredutt where she was confirmed as the "fat white chief's" daughter, Princess Pippilotta.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Wasn't he supposed to be a Swedish (or simply White) seafarer who was shipwrecked on some island?
    That's right. Come to think of it, I can recall the part about the long-lost dad who was a shipwrecked mariner. Now that I looked at wikipedia, it turns out that Pippi's dad was simply the king over a bunch of negroes (the confusion comes from the Swedish word "negerkungen", which implies that he is one himself.) Maybe there's many versions of the story?

Of course, from an adult point of view, Pippi is an anti-social kid with an overactive imagination, so it's very likely that she has many versions of the truth.
    Last edited by Alfadur; Friday, November 11th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Checked on wikipedia - Juthunge was right

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 01:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur View Post
    Of course, from an adult point of view, Pippi is an anti-social kid with an overactive imagination, so it's very likely that she has many versions of the truth.
    And clearly a drug addict. Only the gods know what steroids she has been abusing...

Anachronism
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    She said that in the third book, Pippi In The South Seas: 'The black children throw themselves into the sand in front of the white children in the book. When reading the book to my nephew, who is black, I simply left that passage out.'
    And that is the why the problem is not with the book, but with YOU YOURSELF, you traitor.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts

Sweden's Libraries Destroying Pippi Longstocking Children's Books Because of Racist Phrases

A Swedish council has admitted that local libraries have been throwing out copies of a popular children’s book because it contains racist expressions, with one local journalist even claiming the books are being burnt.

Older versions of the Pippi Langstrumpf [Pippi Longstocking] book entitled ‘Pippi in the South Seas,’ have been discarded by libraries in the Botkyrka municipality.

The Botkyrka council has denied claims by Swedish investigative journalist Janne Josefsson that libraries are specifically targeting Astrid Lindgren’s Pippi Langstrumpf books, explaining that getting rid of books is a necessary process ‘in order for the space in the shelves to be sufficient.’

They stated that they get rid of books which are ‘worn out,’ ‘outdated’ or ‘have not been borrowed for a long time,’ but admitted to disposing of the Pippi Langstrumpf copies due to ‘racist’ content and replacing them with newer editions without the ‘racial’ phrases.

In a press release, they wrote: “The libraries in the municipality of Botkyrka have culled editions of Astrid Lindgren’s ‘Pippi in the South Seas’ where there are obsolete expressions that can be perceived as racist, but Botkyrka Library have also bought the publisher’s new edition of the book from 2015 where the obsolete expressions have been replaced by more contemporary expressions.

The new edition of the book has replaced the phrase ‘king of the Negroes’ or ‘Negro king’ – in reference to Pippi’s father, who Pippi and her friends find in the Canny Canny Islands after his mysterious disappearance – with ‘king of the South Seas’ or ‘South Sea king.’

The Pippi Langstrumpf series has also been condemned in the past as using ‘colonial racist stereotypes’ by a German theologian, who described one scene in ‘Pippi in the South Seas’ where black children throw themselves into the sand in front of white children.

“The culled specimens of ‘Pippi in the South Seas’ have been discarded and handled according to the same routines as all other obsolete books”, said the local authority

Janne Josefsson first raised the issue on Swedish radio, claiming that Botkyrka have been burning original versions of Lindgren’s book.

“There’s something in me that says, wait a second now, are we really going to let these things disappear? Shouldn’t they be allowed to survive so that I can tell my child that this is how they talked in those days?” he told Swedish tabloid Expressen.

Josefsson believes the eradication of the 1948 copies of the book, which focuses on the misadventures and experiences of Pippi Langstrumpf, a young girl recognizable for her red hair and pigtails, has been done for ideological reasons.

“They try to deter this [debate] by saying, we do this with all the books that go out, but here it’s for ideological reasons – it is because Botkyrka has something called intercultural policy,” he said.

When approached by Breitbart London, operations manager at Botkyrka Library, Anja Dahlstedt, was unable to confirm whether the books were being burned.

She said: “All books that are sorted at the libraries of Botkyrka are either put up for sale for everyone to buy or thrown away according to ordinary waste disposal routines.”

“I cannot answer to how our recycling company SRV handle books when it comes to recycling.

“We have six libraries in Botkyrka municipality and we have handled the book Pippi i Soderhavet [Pippi in the South Seas] in the same way in all our libraries.”

This is not the first case of a book being banned for having what is perceived as racist content.

Earlier this year a library in Stockholm refused to stock a book on immigration by economist Tino Sanandaji, claiming it ‘supported racism.’

Elsewhere, a school in Virginia in the USA banned another children’s book – The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – because it included ‘racial slurs.’ The same school also banned ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ for containing racial content and profanity.
    https://redice.tv/news/sweden-s-libr...racist-phrases

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I can't believe it. They are destroying their heritage.

I never read a Pippi Longstocking book but I remember watching Pippi Longstocking cartoons on tv when I was a kid. It was a favorite of mine.
    Those books should be preserved.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    Police Report Filed After Swedish Daycare Listens to Pippi Longstocking Stories

A Swedish daycare’s trip to the local library in Borås took an unexpected turn recently and ended in a police report being filled over racial agitation (hets mot folkgrupp).

According to Expressen, the daycare children were listening to a CD of various Pippi Longstocking stories when another library user became offended by the description of Pippi’s father as a ‘Negro king’ (negerkung).

The library user filed a formal complaint with police, noting that there were children of various ethnic backgrounds among the daycare group.

The head of the daycare institute, Marie Gerdin, described the incident as “sad” and said she had assumed that the library materials were appropriate for children.

“It is not in accordance with the daycare’s values,” Gerdin told Expressen. “This has caused us to review our routines in order to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.”

After the police report was referred to a judge, it was determined that there would be no further action.

This is far from the first time that Astrid Lindgren’s Pippi Longstocking books have been labelled racist. The first four Pippi books were published between 1945 and 1948 and in addition to the description of Pippi’s father as a “Negro king”, the titular character is also at times referred to as a “Negro princess” (negerprinsessa) and Chinese characters are portrayed with exaggerated slanted eyes.

The racism charges have been fiercely rejected by Karin Nyman, the daughter of Lindgren, who died in 2002.

“[Pippi Longstocking] is not a racist. She is the opposite. She is not only ‘against adultism, grown-ups being in charge, and fiercely opposed to violence against animals’ she certainly is also against racism,” Nyman told the Guardian in 2011.

The push to censor the Pippi Longstocking books is often pointed to by those who argue that Sweden has taken its political correctness too far. This line of criticism is particularly prevalent in neighbouring Denmark, which tends to have a very different outlook on issues surrounding both race and free speech.
    https://redice.tv/news/police-report...ocking-stories

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts

Sweden Turns Pippi Longstocking Into Homeless Roma Migrant Living In Stockholm Ghetto

In a new version of the children's story, to be broadcast despite initial objections from the creator’s family, the naughty ginger heroine will become a Roma “warrior against injustice” living in a troubled immigrant suburb.

Pippi in Rinkeby is to be transmitted as a radio series on state-funded Radio Sweden not just in Swedish, but popular minority languages, including Romanian and Arabic. The story, in which Pippi is a homeless migrant, who inhabits a car wreck, will then be published as a book.

"She is the world's strongest and most self-sufficient girl and takes total care of herself. Everything is as in the original, but we have made it our own version," 12-year-old Felicia Di Fransesco, who helped develop the story in a children’s writing workshop, told Sweden Radio.

Author Astrid Lindgren’s first Pippi Longstocking book was published in 1945, became an immediate success, and remains the most popular Swedish-authored literary series around the world.

As it remains under copyright, Gunilla Lundgren, the teacher in the writing workshop that updated the narrative, faced an uphill battle to get publishing permission from the family of Lindgren, who died in 2002.

"We told the relatives about the project and they said no, because everyone wants Pippi on clothes and candy and in hospitals,” Lundgren told Sweden Radio.

However, after she told the estate that proceeds would go to help fund a children’s library in Romanian capital Bucharest, the family relented, and gave permission for publication, though retaining approval of the text.

Despite the family’s acquiescence, the new production is almost sure to reignite a culture war that has raged around changes to the portrayal of naughty and adventure-loving “strongest girl in the world, who lives alone in a colored house in the forest.”

The Pippi Longstocking saga has already been bowdlerized, after her description as a daughter of “King of the Negroes” was criticized as being unsuitable to modern tastes, while her adventures abroad were described as promoting “colonial racist stereotypes."
    https://www.rt.com/news/439508-pippi...igrant-sweden/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast