Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: The Game of Thrones Thread

  1. #1
    Senior Member celticviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    New Zealand European
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish, Icelandic, Scandinavian, Irish
    Subrace
    Hallstatt Keltic Nordid
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Gender
    Age
    29
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Elvish monarch
    Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Question The Game of Thrones Thread

    Lena Headley(300 Spartans)


    Sean Bean (Lord of the rings)


  2. #2
    Senior Member Ediruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 1st, 2019 @ 06:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    My opinion on the Game of Thrones books and series is that it attempted to be an epic fantasy/swords and sorcery, got all this hype over it, and became very overrated.

    My cousin bought me the first book. I couldn't get pass the first few pages of the prologue or whatever the hell I was reading. The writing style was so terrible and drab.

    I don't know what the hype is all over this series. Just another wannabe epic fantasy IMO.

    Nice cast though for the tv series. Sean Bean is awesome.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Enorthmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Buskerud Buskerud
    Gender
    Posts
    33
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm conflicted about "Game of Thrones" and "A Song of Ice and Fire".

    On one hand, George R. R. Martin (GRRM) has created a very compelling setting filled with extensive lore that's strongly influenced by Nordic/Germanic culture and paganism. I enjoy watching/reading about the northern houses such as the Starks, Greyjoys, Boltons, Umbers, etc., as well as the Nights Watch, the Wildlings, and the Old Gods. Things like this:

    Oathbreaker


    On the other hand, I don't much care for GRRM's style. Whereas Tolkien's novels are romantic and inspiring, filled with heroism and noble ideals, GRRM's novels are more postmodern and cynical. In GRRM's novels there's no clear moral standards, many main characters seem to have an unnatural mix of benevolence and depravity, and there's also a great deal of smut such as rape, incest, miscegenation, etc. The quality of writing is also sub-par; there's many inconsistencies in terms of the language that's used, there's many poorly structured sentences, and the novels are very convoluted with poor flow. A Tolkien he is not.

  4. #4
    Senior Member theTasmanian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian X Anglo/Celt
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Location
    Hobart
    Gender
    Age
    44
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Back to Boilermaker/weldering
    Politics
    not the Greens
    Religion
    Pagan
    Posts
    815
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I like the books the "show" misses to much(as most shows or movie adaptations do) and some of the cast are odd

    writers of the Tolkien calibre are far and few between in this day and age
    Tasmanian twice the heads!!.......twice the intelligence!?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rhaegar Thorwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 2nd, 2016 @ 06:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Kurgan
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Location
    The Place at the Bridge
    Gender
    Occupation
    The Illuminati
    Politics
    Zen Fascist
    Religion
    The Old Gods
    Posts
    121
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Season six will start on Apr. 24

  6. #6
    Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 02:06 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Posts
    687
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I've been watching old episodes lately to remember where it all ended last season, a whole year in between seasons isn't fun. Now it's finally time for the new one, sooo looking forward to it.

    I hope Bronn is still alive and kicking, my absolute favourite character in the whole show. He's so.. easy going.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Englisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    Friday, October 14th, 2016 @ 01:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celt
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Location
    West Riding
    Gender
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Law student
    Politics
    Conservative, Nationalist
    Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Posts
    446
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Never watched the show, but have read the books... Really liked the first one, but after that begun to lost interest. I understand people really like the dynastic side of the story, but the progression of the core plot went at too glacial a pace for me.

    I may well like the TV show better - I'll make a mental note to check it out when I have the time.

  8. #8
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    renownedwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 13th, 2019 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Location
    Wales
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenry
    Posts
    814
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I both love and hate GoT really. It looks fantastic, acting is good and the story taken for what it is, is OK. Like has already been mentioned, the post-modern cynicism is actually quite appalling, GRR Martin was also a draft dodging, coward liberal, so his fetishes for very anti-occidental tropes (anti-heroic, pro-unwashed dark masses, race mixing, great white emancipator etc) are quite pronounced as his repressed ideologies make themselves present. The only reason this show is so popular is because the masses love pointless, grotesque violence and smut with regular 'gasp' moments because they think it's 'edgy'.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Plantagenet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    Monday, September 2nd, 2019 @ 10:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    British-German
    Subrace
    Nordid-Cromagnid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Gender
    Politics
    Throne and Altar
    Religion
    Aryajnana
    Posts
    719
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I read the first novel of Game of Thrones when I was around 14 and I thought it was awesome, couldn't put it down and finished the whole book in about two days. I never followed up by reading the sequels though.

    I tried rereading it again when I was 22-23 or so, and I have to say I found I didn't like it nearly as much as I did as a teen and didn't even finish it. Perhaps my tastes changed somewhat but personally I love Tolkien's "high fantasy" ambiance much more than what's supposed to be the gritty and darker feeling of Game of Thrones. I also find it has too much crude material for my tastes.

    As to the show, I've never watched it and can't imagine I'd like it from the things I've heard about it.

  10. #10
    Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 02:06 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Posts
    687
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Watching The Walking Dead you want people to survive.

    In Game of Thrones you just want people to die.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Classify Game of Thrones
    By celticviking in forum Anthropological Taxonomy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Tuesday, November 29th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •