Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts

Battle of Agincourt - October 25th, 1415

The Battle of Agincourt was a major English victory against a numerically superior French army in the Hundred Years' War. The battle occurred on Friday, 25 October 1415 (Saint Crispin's Day), near modern-day Azincourt, in northern France. Henry V's victory crippled France and started a new period in the war, during which Henry married the French king's daughter and his son, Henry VI, was made heir to the throne of France (although Henry VI failed to capitalize on his father's battlefield success).

Henry V led his troops into battle and participated in hand-to-hand fighting. The French king of the time, Charles VI, did not command the French army himself as he suffered from severe, repeating illnesses and moderate mental incapacitation. Instead, the French were commanded by Constable Charles d'Albret and various prominent French noblemen of the Armagnac party.

The battle is notable for the use of the English longbow, which Henry used in very large numbers, with English and Welsh archers forming most of his army. The battle is also the centrepiece of the play Henry V, by William Shakespeare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt

One of England's finest triumphs over the French

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 @ 04:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German,Irish/Scottish/English,Italian, and Old Dutch/Swedish colonial bloodlines
    Ancestry
    Germany,Ireland/Scotland, and Italy
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nord Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Youth
    Politics
    Political Anarchist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Non Nobis is a great song commemorating the battle. The English Long Bowmen were truly the rose of the British military system during that time frame. They were truly a revolutionary force that could not be dealt with this can be seen in the battle of Crecy.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:15 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German, Danish, English
    Country
    State
    Florida Florida
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Diver
    Politics
    Libertarian/Anarchicst
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I have read that the terrain as well as mud and the long bow led to the down fall of the French knights. Chivalry was lost when the order came to kill the French knights downed in the mud. Most English knights refused and the bowmen finnished them off with daggers and swords. At least that is what I saw on Discovery. Still a great victory for the English.

I did not mean to make lite of the victory. But I have seen other sources on this. I was curious if anyone else has heard simular stories.

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 @ 04:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German,Irish/Scottish/English,Italian, and Old Dutch/Swedish colonial bloodlines
    Ancestry
    Germany,Ireland/Scotland, and Italy
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nord Atlantid
    Country
    Youth
    Politics
    Political Anarchist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Wellenkamp View Post
    I have read that the terrain as well as mud and the long bow led to the down fall of the French knights. Chivalry was lost when the order came to kill the French knights downed in the mud. Most English knights refused and the bowmen finnished them off with daggers and swords. At least that is what I saw on Discovery. Still a great victory for the English.

I did not mean to make lite of the victory. But I have seen other sources on this. I was curious if anyone else has heard simular stories.

I think this happened during the battle of Crecy. The French made the mistake of putting the Genoan Archers into the front line to fight the British and then employed their cavalry against them and this lead to a disaster.

After the battle the English soldiers killed dying or maimed French soldiers on the battle with a dagger and they called it mercy killing. In the battle of Agincourt a few French Cavalry members swept into the English camp and killed the pages and squires which violated chivalry once again.

The battle of Agincourt though was more of a complete strategic victory for the English with the French cavalry being annihilated by the defense positions which the English took up.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post

The Battle of Agincourt was a major English victory against a numerically superior French army in the Hundred Years' War. The battle occurred on Friday, 25 October 1415 (Saint Crispin's Day), near modern-day Azincourt, in northern France. Henry V's victory crippled France and started a new period in the war, during which Henry married the French king's daughter and his son, Henry VI, was made heir to the throne of France (although Henry VI failed to capitalize on his father's battlefield success).

Henry V led his troops into battle and participated in hand-to-hand fighting. The French king of the time, Charles VI, did not command the French army himself as he suffered from severe, repeating illnesses and moderate mental incapacitation. Instead, the French were commanded by Constable Charles d'Albret and various prominent French noblemen of the Armagnac party.

The battle is notable for the use of the English longbow, which Henry used in very large numbers, with English and Welsh archers forming most of his army. The battle is also the centrepiece of the play Henry V, by William Shakespeare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt

One of England's finest triumphs over the French
    I know I am "spitting in church" here right now, but I need to point out that until Agincourt the laws of chivalry specifically stated that one should not use bowmen against knights, but meet them on the field with ones own knights.

That said, it was an astonishing victory. And the play is just ecxcellent!

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 11:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Skannon View Post
    I know I am "spitting in church" here right now, but I need to point out that until Agincourt the laws of chivalry specifically stated that one should not use bowmen against knights, but meet them on the field with ones own knights.

So it was also a victory in the struggle for social justice.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 10:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Agincourt was the equivalent of David and goliath. The English longbowmen were the slingshot against the giant that was the French army. The longbow simply evened the odds. If it was meant to be a chivalrous affair then maybe the French should have tapered down the size of their army to match that of England's.
    Henry had a legitimate claim. The fact that the French refused to acknowledge his right was lacking in chivalry also.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 11:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Battle of Crécy - A French perspective

Not Agincourt, but related and quite funny for those not of the French persuasion.

Grand Member
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Actually, Neo, that's not too far removed from reality!

A good bowman could loose 15 arrows a minute and if there were 5,000 archers in the English ranks (as records suggest) then you've got something like 75,000 arrows coming at you per minute.

The sky must have been literally filled with them

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 07:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Actually, it was the Battle of Crecy that broke the laws of chivalry. It was so shocking for the French nobility at the time, because it was such a violation of the Indo-European caste system. This was the first time the warrior-aristocracy got slaughtered by the peasant class on the battlefield. The English, who were shrewder, simply didn't care about abstract things like "chivalry" and "knightly values", but went the pragmatic route.

As Neophyte said, it was a victory for social justice. The main reason the knights were valued so highly, and why they could set the standards of society ("the laws of chivalry"), was not just because of their noble blood but mainly because they were the best fighters. The ultimate attack on the battlefield was the heavy cavalry charge. The knights were the last incarnation of the Indo-European warrior caste, and remained so for centuries simply because they were the most efficient killers. As we saw, the Welsh peasant longbowmen proved to be better killers.

(The French had the purest form of the medieval caste system, that existed in all of Europe. It was the noble knights on the top, and the peasants on the bottom. Soon enough, the French armies had a huge problem dealing with powerful infantry, like the Welsh longbowmen or the Flemish pikemen.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast