Thread: Symbols of Pan-Germanism?

Tribuno

Symbols of Pan-Germanism?

I'm interested to hear if there are any famous symbols of Pan-Germanism as a political idea?

(With "Pan-Germanism", I'm referring to the general movement to unify all ethnic Germans abroad within the borders of one German nation. Such as the Austrians and the Sudeten-Germans.)

I once heard that the cornflower is a bit of an unofficial symbol, being one of the national flowers of Germany. Is there any others?

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribuno View Post
    I once heard that the cornflower is a bit of an unofficial symbol, being one of the national flowers of Germany. Is there any others?
    I don't think there was ever a "Pan-Germanist" official symbol, apart from the Third Reich swastika - and I'm assuming that's not what you were referring to.

It's interesting that you mention the blue cornflower, because it was indeed an unofficial symbol with Pan-German connotations among the Danube Swabians and the ethnic Germans in Hungary.

The cornflower was used as the insignia by the SS volunteer legion Maria Theresia, which consisted of Germans living in Hungary. (The ethnic Hungarians had their own legion, called Hunyadi. Both battalions were named after national heroes.)

This is what I got from the German wikipedia page, when I looked up "Kornblume" on there (loosely translated by me):

The cornflower was used around 1879 for the "Schönerer" movement in Austria (an anti-Semitic and pan-German movement). Because of this, wearing the cornflower was temporarily against the law and was regarded as "treason." The Schönerer movement saw the cornflower as a symbol of German loyalty. From 1933 to 1938, the cornflower was the distinctive mark of the then illegal Nazi Party (in Austria? The link provided in the citation refers only to the National Freedom Party's meetings.).

Members of the Austrian National Freedom Party have worn the cornflower to inaugural meetings since 2006 in addition to their white and red ribbon.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kornblume

Last Online
    Monday, February 27th, 2012 @ 11:07 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Nordalbingia, Pomerania and North Jutland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can just think of the oak leaf which has been used since roughly 12 centuries by several countries and states, beginning by the teutonic knights, then by the German revolutionaries in central Europe during the 1840's and still by the Federal Republic of Germany, since the oak (as a "German tree) represents loyalty and homeland. I think other countries like the UK and the US use this symbol too, but I'd rather doubt that it has anything like a "Pan-Germanic" meaning there.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadur View Post
    I don't think there was ever a "Pan-Germanist" official symbol, apart from the Third Reich swastika - and I'm assuming that's not what you were referring to.
    The swastika was widely used by pan-Germanists in several countries around the turn of the century (19/20th), thus pre-WW1.

Notice the examples and old photos in the beginning of part1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Swastika= rallying emblem for a Germanic/Aryan supremacy order.

A dangerous symbol in so far, as it per definition would counter non-Aryan
    wealth and political power. Thus it will lead automatically to race war in non-homogeneous nations such as the US.