Libertarian leaning Nationalist.
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weight Loss

Has anyone else gone through a surgery to lose weight? I am seriously looking in to it. Was supposed to go Saturday for a speech about it the different ones etc but just didn't have the gas/money to make the trip and back. I am 27 years old and weigh way to much. I can't walk long distances,I can't run very well,I don't sleep well. I had back surgery in 2009 and have put on over 100 pounds since then because it fixed the ruptured disc in my back but it screwed up my back in a different way where it can't stand for me to stand/walk around etc for more than 10 minutes. I love going to the gym and I used to do so. Right now just can't afford it and since I can't walk etc kind of hard to get out and try and lose weight. I am on SSI because I can't work because of the back injury,have been diagnosed as severely depressed which only makes things worse being stuck in a house all day I eat even when I am not hungry because I get bored. Wife works I watch the youngest child right now oldest is in school and wife is expecting another one! Just wanted to see if there was others here who are going through or have gone through the depression and the weight loss struggles etc..

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    surgery sounds rather drastic! the solution is simply to eat less and to eat less junk.

is your wife also overweight? what sort of food do you have at home?

come on, think of the example you are setting for your children!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago @ 02:16 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moonmaiden View Post
    surgery sounds rather drastic! the solution is simply to eat less and to eat less junk.
    Well, if one is incapable of physical exercise regularily, changing to a healthier diet and eating less will hardly solve the problem. If the weight can't be done away with by exercise, the only other option is to starve oneself, which probably isn't much healthier than being overweight (depending on the level of severity).

I'm not much in favor of solving one's problems in life by means of medicine, when the problem can be solved by changing one's life style to a more natural and self-harmonious one. But in such a case as this one, surgery might be the only solution.

An acquaintance of mine, who had been obese through most of her life due to over-eating, recently had a surgery to remove a part of her large intstine to shorten it down. It makes one lose the sense of hunger, to a degree, as well as making the large intestine incapable of picking up as much of the nutrients as it was capable of previously. After just half a year or so, the change has been quite pronounced. Perhaps that is something to consider?
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    Well, if one is incapable of physical exercise regularily, changing to a healthier diet and eating less will hardly solve the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    If the weight can't be done away with by exercise, the only other option is to starve oneself, which probably isn't much healthier than being overweight (depending on the level of severity).

I'm not much in favor of solving one's problems in life by means of medicine, when the problem can be solved by changing one's life style to a more natural and self-harmonious one. But in such a case as this one, surgery might be the only solution.

An acquaintance of mine, who had been obese through most of her life due to over-eating, recently had a surgery to remove a part of her large intstine to shorten it down. It makes one lose the sense of hunger, to a degree, as well as making the large intestine incapable of picking up as much of the nutrients as it was capable of previously. After just half a year or so, the change has been quite pronounced. Perhaps that is something to consider?
    it certainly won't hurt. there is great difference between starving oneself and starving superfluous fat cells...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Lone Rebel, do you mind telling us what height you are and what you weigh?
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Württemberg, Franconia and I recently discovered old ancestors in Saxony
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ... I eat even when I am not hungry because I get bored. ...
    I am sorry for taking this half-sentence out of context, but it caught my attention. I think you should try to work on this first before taking drastic steps like surgery. I also tend to eat when I'm bored, but I try to do something else instead to avoid excessive intake of calories. If there is nothing else to do I just forbid me to eat and after a few minutes the urge is gone. Sometimes you simply need to be strict with yourself.

If you're physical condition allows it, you should try to go swimming. It doesn't strain your bones and joints and activates your whole body. Can you use a bike or is it bad for your back, too? You should try to get started with short and easy exercises, probably just a few minutes in the beginning to avoid frustration.

I'm just making wild suggestions, I don't know if they are feasible for you. What's your height and weight?

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    I was going to suggest swimming as well. The surgery doesn't work half the time, and you have to discipline yourself to not eat as much anyhow, so why put your body through that? It's just a sleazy way they came up with for surgeons to make money anyhow.

Get the junk food out of the house. If you are eating compulsively, get one of those veggie snack trays with carrots and celery and eat off that. Surgery is just dumb.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,394 Posts
    Definitely avoid the surgery

In fact, Lone Rebel, you wrote yourself about how ineffective this can be ...

I had back surgery in 2009 and have put on over 100 pounds since then because it fixed the ruptured disc in my back but it screwed up my back in a different way where it can't stand for me to stand/walk around etc for more than 10 minutes.
    Surgeons just want to make money and will try to convince you it's necessary even if it isn't!

Long term, you can only lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume. How you achieve this is up to you, whether it's by increasing your exercise or limiting your food intake (or both) but it's basically a very simple equation; even though you may find implementing it to be extremely difficult! Surgery does not come into this at any point, however.

Sorry I can't propose a magic solution here. I wish I could (not least because I'd become very rich!) but I don't believe there is one - just a lot of folks out there who are exploiting others' vulnerability by claiming there's a quick fix (..at a price )

You say you've put on 100 pounds? Well, I'm sure you could get rid of a lot of that just by reducing some of the wild excesses because to have put on 100 pounds and then maintained this extra weight your eating must be way out of control. I'm sure that if you just cut out a few of the non-essentials you'd soon see your weight plummet, and this could then give you the encouragement to continue. Often, it's just getting started that's the hardest part!

Last Online
    Saturday, December 29th, 2018 @ 04:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    teach, research
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Gottgläubig
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Germaid and Huginn both suggested what I think is very sensible, swimming. Swimming will give you a good workout, can be done in a gentle manner and is fun All the other suggestions here are also good re: dietary changes, et al. Re depression, you will find that the more gentle exercise you do the better you will feel, the better you feel, the more you can manage, and so the cycle continues. Looking at the responses here reminds me how Skadi is a 'virtual' volksgemeinschaft - it's actually heartwarming never mind the miles between us. Good luck brother.
    “unless they know, mystically, that beneath the concrete lies the earth which has nourished their race for a thousand years and ... that it is their own earth from which their blood is shed and renewed, then they are a lost people, and easy prey for those who have lacked roots for many centuries"
    A. K. Chesterton

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian X Anglo/Celt
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Back to Boilermaker/weldering
    Politics
    not the Greens
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Proper eating is the main thing fill up on Vegi's with meat being the smaller part(but very tasty part) of the meal IF you can go swimming without excessive pain do it

Having a partner that will help and support you in this will help(unlike mine ) especially if she takes part

if you want a snack or you are a habitual snacker then make it a nice roll with ham and rabbit food(lettuce etc) or even a carrot

Ditch to much fizzy drink
    Tasmanian twice the heads!!.......twice the intelligence!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast