Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Actually, while swimming is indeed a great exercise for general conditioning, it's not so effective for weight loss. You can read a little more on it here.

As far as cardio goes, I think running on an elliptical machine would be a good way to start out. After you lose some weight and get in a little better shape, you could try adding wind sprints to your workouts. Sprinting stimulates your body into producing more growth hormone, which, among other benefits, helps to further cut into your fat stores. I recently started incorporating them into my workouts, and I've been very pleased with the results.
    — Always outnumbered but never outclassed —

Datter av Norge
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Actually, while swimming is indeed a great exercise for general conditioning, it's not so effective for weight loss. You can read a little more on it here.

As far as cardio goes, I think running on an elliptical machine would be a good way to start out. After you lose some weight and get in a little better shape, you could try adding wind sprints to your workouts. I recently started incorporating them into mine and I feel better than I have in years!
    You are correct about the swimming Ward as it is good for cardio, but does not help in weight loss at all. Ellipticals are great because they reduce the stress on your joints and tone your muscles. Even speed walking for 30 minutes a day helps. Also take supplements! Chromium Picolinate regulates blood sugar levels and stops snacking in a healthy way. Vitamin B also helps reduce stress and weight gain.
    All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Württemberg, Franconia and I recently discovered old ancestors in Saxony
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post

As far as cardio goes, I think running on an elliptical machine would be a good way to start out...
    You're right, but considering Lone Rebel's physical condition I don't think running or elliptical machines are the right thing for him at the moment. He should rather try to get active in the first place. I wouldn't recommend exhausting exercises in the beginning. He'll only get frustrated and quit sports again pretty fast. Rather start slowly and then increase activity when necessary.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 02:08 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    Well in the last few years I have put on several pounds and lost almost all of them over the course of the last 10 months. One thing I have noticed is that as I have gotten older I gain weight quicker and shed it slower.

I have always been a big eater, I like hearty foods such as stew, spaetzle, potatoes and don't get me started on cakes, cookies, pies and other lovely deserts. The big problem is my woman loves to cook and bake and I love to eat all those good things she makes.

I garden a lot and try to keep eating salads which I like also. One thing though I think has helped is the amount of wild game we eat it has little fat and is very tasty. By staying away from so many starches and sugars I have lost 30 pounds in 10 months. Just 15 more to go and I would feel better about myself.

The height and weight ratio thing does not work for as I have a lot of muscle mass when I don't have the extra weight and by most charts even when I have zero fat I am still 40 pounds more than I should be by those charts.

I have seen people that have had some of those surgeries and it has worked if they follow up by changing their habits in conjunction with surgery.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Monday, December 5th, 2016 @ 04:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    First you must stop eating junk. Many people now a days eat to much carbs. And the reason is that they don't let your body know it's full until you've eaten a lot of it and then you won't stay full for a long time. I don't know what you eat but if a lot of what you eat is high in carbs you might want to get more protein in your diet because they tell your body that you're full and you will stay full for longer periods of time. I'm not saying carbs are bad but to much of them is.

Sugar isn't also bad but we're really quick to eat our daily recommended dosage especially if you drink soda which is 10% sugar. When our body gets to much sugar, the liver turns it into fat and we're really quick to put on weight that way.

Swimming is a great way to exercise if you're heavy. You will probably start by gaining weight once you start exercising but that's because muscles burn fat and you will start by putting on more mass and once you've achieved that you will begin to burn fat.

As I said I don't know how you eat but judging by how many people eat now a days here are some recommendations.

Carbs- lower the intake
    Protein-increase the intake
    Soda-cut it out
    Beer- lower the intake
    vegetables and fruits- increase the intake

Something sad I've often heard about America is that unhealthy foods are cheaper and you've said that your budget is tight but bare in mind that you need way more of it to feel and stay full.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 02:08 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvix View Post
    Something sad I've often heard about America is that unhealthy foods are cheaper and you've said that your budget is tight but bare in mind that you need way more of it to feel and stay full.
    That is a yes and no thing about unhealthy foods here. If you cook from scatch it can be cheaper to eat healthy if you buy in bulk. If you want to eat quick foods that are preprocessed than the junk is cheaper.

It really depends on what your diet is.

One thing also to keep in mind is the preservatives, stay away from them if you can.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 05:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    For food eat celery sticks and carrot sticks and baby radishes. Alpha lipoic acid and b complexes can help with energy levels for exercising. A health food store level multi vitamin can help also.

A good exercise to strengthen the back is to sit in a chair and raise the knees in a slow controlled fashion with a peak contraction at the top, hold the peak contraction for several seconds. Shoot for several hundred of these.

Chair squats, where you sit down into a lower steel chair and slowly raise back up again, can use your arms to assist the legs. One should aim for at least one or two hundred of these eventually.

Warm up beforehand with a variety of arm rotations. A towel held between the hands and stretched all over the body can help also, especially behind the head for the rotator cuffs.
    For upper body, find a counter to lean against that is at least 3 feet off the ground that can support your body weight. Lean forward and press your self back up slowly, and eventually get up to 50 or more repetitions.

Walking while crouched and leaning forward, or a $99 eliptical while crouched can help also.

Sam-e helps some people with depression
    Last edited by Leonhardt; Sunday, October 23rd, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added comment

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 @ 09:58 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rebel View Post
    Has anyone else gone through a surgery to lose weight? I am seriously looking in to it. Was supposed to go Saturday for a speech about it the different ones etc but just didn't have the gas/money to make the trip and back. I am 27 years old and weigh way to much. I can't walk long distances,I can't run very well,I don't sleep well. I had back surgery in 2009 and have put on over 100 pounds since then because it fixed the ruptured disc in my back but it screwed up my back in a different way where it can't stand for me to stand/walk around etc for more than 10 minutes. I love going to the gym and I used to do so. Right now just can't afford it and since I can't walk etc kind of hard to get out and try and lose weight. I am on SSI because I can't work because of the back injury,have been diagnosed as severely depressed which only makes things worse being stuck in a house all day I eat even when I am not hungry because I get bored. Wife works I watch the youngest child right now oldest is in school and wife is expecting another one! Just wanted to see if there was others here who are going through or have gone through the depression and the weight loss struggles etc..
    All i can say to you is that a few years ago i broke my back in a parachuting accident along with my legs and ribs and jaw and various other bits and bobs and i was on my feet in six months like a man possessed......do you know why...?

Because i have cast iron balls that clang.
    Last edited by Chlodovech; Saturday, October 29th, 2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Ad hominem

Eala Freia Fresena
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2020 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I started to distrust food-sciences as most are well-paid for junk-science.

The what to do is a no-brainer, the question is how to muster the will-power to follow up on it, when you don't have it.

As you are at home and most likely involved in cooking, there is food around you all the time.

surgery might bring a temporaer weightloss, but you will need will-power to sustain it, otherwise it might just be a waste of time.

I would suggest that you start a firewood business. That you go out and get oakwood, cut it down and split it and sell it. In this way you combine exercise with making money, you are away from food and it will treat your depression.

Other then that I can suggest a liver-cleanse, get a book from amazon by Andreas Moritz, the miracle liver -cleanse or so. The liver is a major organ and when clogged it really screws up the metabolism. And everyone has 1000's of gall/liver stones. When your metabolism is healthy again, it will process food quite differently, now it stores a lot of poison in fat (which might be part of your depression) and you will get rid of it when the liver is free to operate.

I also agree with Spear Brave about the weight tabells. I am a 6 footer and weigh about 220 pound without being fat, whereas the weight-fools list me as overweight.

Also smoking will reduce weight .
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 09:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English-American
    Ancestry
    English/England
    Country
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Surgery won't do you any good if you don't change your eating habits. Even with surgery your stomach can stretch and you will gain all the weight back.

Apprently it's pretty common because people think it's a quick fix and don't realise that they can still get fat.
    Proud to be Germanic.

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast