Republicanism, traditionalism, .
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Milky Way's Age Narrowed Down

Old but good, our home galaxy seems to be close to the cosmic event that caused the Big Bang... Our home galaxy, i.e. the Milky Way, Via Lactea, is one of the "first" galaxies.

http://www.space.com/263-milky-age-narrowed.html
    'Militia est vita hominis super terram [The life of man upon earth is a warfare] (Job 7:1).'

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Mates, I'm a bit of a futurist and an optimist, but this is our eventual legacy as of the truest represenatives of Terramater:

'Militia est vita hominis super terram [The life of man upon earth is a warfare] (Job 7:1).'

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 07:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldemar View Post
    Mates, I'm a bit of a futurist and an optimist, but this is our eventual legacy as of the truest represenatives of Terramater:

I think if you look at current levels of space exploration, my uninformed opinion is that, and if we see increased levels of robotic technology hit the market. (which I think we are even now)

Space Flight as we know it will take on a new meaning, because at that point I do not see any reason it would not be possible to bring back significant raw material cargo’s, robotically form the moon, mars, or asteroids.

That means "Space" should be able to pay its own way as opposed to the government run BS we have seen over the last few generations.

And I would add, if humans are going to continue to survive with a relatively high level of technological standards here on earth, it will become a necessity to harvest off world resources.

I see it as a sign of humanity reaching a higher level of maturity.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Albion.
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    'anti-semite'
    Politics
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ Fighter View Post
    I think if you look at current levels of space exploration, my uninformed opinion is that, and if we see increased levels of robotic technology hit the market. (which I think we are even now)

Space Flight as we know it will take on a new meaning, because at that point I do not see any reason it would not be possible to bring back significant raw material cargo’s, robotically form the moon, mars, or asteroids.

That means "Space" should be able to pay its own way as opposed to the government run BS we have seen over the last few generations.

And I would add, if humans are going to continue to survive with a relatively high level of technological standards here on earth, it will become a necessity to harvest off world resources.

I see it as a sign of humanity reaching a higher level of maturity.
    Call me stupid, but I believe in the "Rare Earth" hypothesis.

I also believe in a divine Creator, i.e. God (or Gods), albeit deistically.

As humans, humanity has (a) divine Creator(s)... And hence a manifest destiny to conquer the homeworld, etc. The solar system, etc.

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 07:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldemar View Post
    Call me stupid, but I believe in the "Rare Earth" hypothesis.

I also believe in a divine Creator, i.e. God (or Gods), albeit deistically.

As humans, humanity has (a) divine Creator(s)... And hence a manifest destiny to conquer the homeworld, etc. The solar system, etc.
    I have no idea if we are a "Rare Earth", because the Universe is just too big, and we are just too limited in technological know how and experience as a civilization to know such things.

What I do know, is that building better Rockets, is only a small part of the equation we are looking at with colonization of space.

Chances are Humanity is going to have to build comfortable planets for future inhabitants to live on. Which means transforming dead rocks like Mars, that have potential into earth like planets.

And that means having a hell of a lot more knowledge about life than we currently do. And having the knowledge to know how to genetically engineer microscopic Life to take seed and build larger hospitable Planets.

We are going to have to MASTER LIFE, if we want to survive.

If we keep up the same pace of advancement, it is likely that we will see in our lifetimes, the arrival of harvesting of off world, resources. And we will probably be able to see more and more images of the planets that we now know are near to earth.

As far as "The Creator" goes watch the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey and you will get the Idea of what would happen if you had a super advanced civilization seeding planets for life.

Or the "Creator" could be the results of a previous cycle of civilizations that reached an omnipotent stage in a cycling Universe.

Who Knows, we have no more idea of this than Neanderthals would have had about our time.

Because WE would truly BE gods, to Neanderthals.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Grandparrents Faroese, now live in germany
    Ancestry
    My grandparrents on mother side where faroese, my father was born in munich,
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Heilerziehuingspfleger
    Politics
    no party affiliation
    Religion
    germanic heathen norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    First of all, the last few years have shown that planets are a pretty common thing. We have already discovered roughly 700 exoplanets in just a few years since its technologically possible. For those who are interested in this kind of thing, here a few interesting links :

http://exoplanets.org/ a database of exoplanets

http://exoplanet.eu/ an encyclopedia on it

http://planetary.org/exoplanets/ has some interesting animations to see
    the orbits

We discovered the first exoplanet in the mid nineties, and now already have discovered that many. Who would have thought that 20 years ago ? I don´t think its that much longer till we find second earth, and i would say the chance to find extra terrestrial life of any form within our lifetime is at least 50%. So we life in interesting times. I have high hopes that the discovery of extraterrestrial life will change humanity for the better.

Now i would like to correct you about the milky way being close to the point where the universe started. If the current theories are correct everything started as a singularity. That means that you can´t point anywhere and say that´s where it all started. The whole universe was once compressed to a point, and unfolded form there.
    Now the milky way galaxy may be very old, but that doesn´t mean its space wise nearer to the starting point. It only means that, because of some irregularities in the distribution of matter in the early universe, matter collapsed here faster to form the first stars, then at other points in the universe. But those other points are just as old, only the star building started there later.
    There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last.

Judging by it´s name common sense must once have been a pretty common thing. When and why did that change, so it became the rare treasure it is today???