Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Post Frisian & English: Comparisons & Contrasts

Post your comparisons and contrasts between Frisian and English, linguistically-speaking.

I'll start from this post: http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php...6&postcount=38 ...@ Sybren:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybren View Post
    [Praat:] It means 'speak'. So 'Praat mar Frysk' roughly translates in 'Please speak Frisian', but not in a demanding or even asking tone, more in a 'you can if you want' kind of way.
    When you clued me in on 'speak,' I immediately thought of the Eng. word 'prattle' (to chatter), which is also akin to (Eng.) 'prate' (to chatter); but the former apparently came into modern Eng. from modern Plattdüütsch and the later came into Eng. from Middelnederlands ; so neither of these modern Eng. terms descend from Anglo-Saxon (Old English)--I discovered this perusing my A.-S. dictionary. This has me speculating that these cognate terms like 'Praat' , 'prattle' , 'prate' , et al. may also be truly indigenously alien to continental Ooldsassisch as well. If this is valid, then the prime and likely Germanic root for such words it seems to me are FRISIAN/FRYSK...any thoughts? I don't suppose an Aldfrysk dictionary would help us in this conjecture. (:-\
    'Klei' means 'Clay', i actually accidentally wrote the Dutch word 'Klei', in Frisian it is 'Klaai'. This points to the type of ground in the north and western areas of Fryslān. When a Frisian is born in the areas of Fryslān that has a clay soil, we say this: 'hy/sy is śt 'e klaai lutsen', which means 'he/she is pulled from the clay'
    The soil in the Fryske Wālden does not consist of clay, but rather 'Sān' (Sand) and 'Vean' (Peat).
    Ahhh, well the Dutch 'Klei' is harder for an Englishman to read/understand than the Frisian 'Klaai'...no doubt about that from an English perspective. That sentence is relatively easy for an Eng. to understand...both written and spoken except the 'lutsen' part, that's very alien to modern Eng., but the A.-S. 'lutan' (to bend/stoop/decline/bow-down) just might be its cognate, although the meanings are basically opposite to each other--no mod. Eng. words stem from this word, i.e., it's 'dead.'

Question: does the Frysk 'sy' sound like the Eng. 'she' too (with the 'sh' sound or like the 'sch' sound auf deutsch)?
    Thank you for your posts You are actually helping in making a Frisian sub-section more feasible with asking these questions Your enthousiasm in your posts is great by the way!!
    You're very welcome dude, and ja, it's true it was all apart of my 'grand design!', LOL! Hey, thanks...I'll just blame my enthusiasm on the "Frisian-in-me," hehe.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 13th, 2017 @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly English, some Irish
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Praat
    In Northern England we have "Prat" and "Pillock" which refer to some idiot, usually someone who's just do something very stupid.

Ahhh, well the Dutch 'Klei' is harder for an Englishman to read/understand than the Frisian 'Klaai'...no doubt about that from an English perspective.
    Yes, the Frisian one sounds closer the way I construct it.

The soil in the Fryske Wālden does not consist of clay, but rather 'Sān' (Sand) and 'Vean' (Peat).
    'Wālden' - related to the term "Wolds" in some parts of England I presume, an archaic word for low hills I think, such as the Lincolnshire wolds.

'Sān' is very close to sand but I can't think of any alternative word for 'Peat' which sounds like 'Vean', all I get is 'Rain' and that is if I'm constructing it right.

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Thumbs Up Great Points

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbria View Post
    In Northern England we have "Prat" and "Pillock" which refer to some idiot, usually someone who's just do something very stupid.
    I'm aware of "prat" on your side of the Atlantic, although surely 90%+ of all Eng.-speaking Americans have no clue about it. Hey, consider also in connection to this that it is quite common for idiots to run their mouths a lot--thus these "p-word" connections to speaking and idiocy.
    'Wālden' - related to the term "Wolds" in some parts of England I presume, an archaic word for low hills I think, such as the Lincolnshire wolds.
    This is an excellent point indeed, I'd overlooked "wolds," which has as you state long ago fallen out of general use, and herein America it is never or almost never used or encountered.
    'Sān' is very close to sand but I can't think of any alternative word for 'Peat' which sounds like 'Vean', all I get is 'Rain' and that is if I'm constructing it right.
    Aye, 'Sān' and 'sand' are almost mirror images of each other, and I can't dig up any English connections to 'Vean' either whether consulting a modern Eng. dictionary or my Ang.-Sax. one (and since there is, apparently, only ONE known "v" word among A.-S. diction--so one has to consult the "w" words). I know one can be tempted into thinking 'vein' as in 'vein of gold' might be somehow cognate to 'Vean,' but the former is, I think, without question of Latin-root. I now wonder just what the Plattdüütsch dictionaries have to write/say about 'Vean' or 'Vean'-connections...if anything.

Again...great reply/post, Northumbria.
    Last edited by +Suomut+; Monday, January 9th, 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: correction

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Ancestry
    Frisian, Saxon
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Frisia Frisia
    Politics
    Frisian nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sorry guys. I now see i made a mistake. It's not 'vean', but 'fean'.

You should think i would know how to correctly write something like this, but Frisians don't use written Frisian very much.

'Fean' also isn't pronounced with the 'ea' like in 'Peat', but with the 'ea' like in 'ear'.

'Praten' also comes back in Swedish 'Pratar'. Strangely this isn't seen in Norwegian (instead: 'Snakker').

I don't think 'wālden' has to do with low hills. There are no low hills in the wālden area and i don't think there were. It just means 'woods' i guess, after the woods that once were located around there, but are now gone.

Fun fact: At my work we have one Frisian from the Wālden. His accent and differing use of words are often made fun of by us 'Clay-Frisians', which are the true Frisians
    Būter, brea en griene tsiis
    Wa't dat net sizze kin is gjin oprjochte Fries!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    26 Minutes Ago @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    641 Posts
    'Praten' also comes back in Swedish 'Pratar'. Strangely this isn't seen in Norwegian (instead: 'Snakker')
    Joda, vi prater vi også.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago @ 08:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    554 Posts
    If it's "fean", it reminds of "fen" (marshlands /moors / costal wet regions), which also is already used with the spelling "fen" in Old Icelandic (Eddaic times), in German "Fenn" (moore; peat-moore), pl. Fenns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybren
    'Praten' also comes back in Swedish 'Pratar'. Strangely this isn't seen in Norwegian (instead: 'Snakker')
    German Platt knows "schnacken" for chatting, also in more northern regions spelled "snacken".
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm aware of "prat" on your side of the Atlantic, although surely 90%+ of all Eng.-speaking Americans have no clue about it.
    Yeah, I thought as much too. There's a few words which are absent from different version of English or have totally different meanings.

Hey, consider also in connection to this that it is quite common for idiots to run their mouths a lot--thus these "p-word" connections to speaking and idiocy.
    Hmm, I hadn't considered that but now that you mention it...

Again...great reply/post, Northumbria.
    Thanks.

'Fean' also isn't pronounced with the 'ea' like in 'Peat', but with the 'ea' like in 'ear'.
    I can't think of any similar words yet, I've just been going through descriptions of soil in my head - peat, loam, clay, etc. Nothing seems to match so far, the most I got was 'Fell' but it describes a high hill or mountain and doesn't really sound the same - it's North Germanic.

I don't think 'wālden' has to do with low hills. There are no low hills in the wālden area and i don't think there were. It just means 'woods' i guess, after the woods that once were located around there, but are now gone.
    I was trying to think yesterday, I kept thinking I'd heard that name somewhere before and it just occurred to me - there's places in Southern England called 'Wealden' and there's also the word 'Wooden' (something made from wood).

The name "Weald" is derived from the Old English weald, meaning "forest" (cognate, German Wald). This comes from a Germanic root of the same meaning, and ultimately from Indo-European. Weald is a specifically a West Saxon form; wold is the Anglian form of the word.
    The adjective for "weald" is "wealden".
    The Weald is in South East England in the areas inhabited by the Jutes and Saxons. The Lincolnshire Wolds are Anglian country, the word must have taken a slightly different meaning there or perhaps the hills were once wooded like the Weald.

For 'Wolds' I got:

an elevated tract of open country.
    Often, wolds. an open, hilly district, especially in England, as in Yorkshire or Lincolnshire.
    before 900; Middle English; Old English w ( e ) ald forest; cognate with German Wald; akin to wild, Old Norse vǫllr plain
    So the Lincolnshire Wolds could have been wooded once. The Old Norse description which refers to a plain though, but the wolds are low hills. I suppose once the trees were cut down people forgot what it referred to.

If it's "fean", it reminds of "fen" (marshlands /moors / costal wet regions), which also is already used with the spelling "fen" in Old Icelandic (Eddaic times), in German "Fenn" (moore; peat-moore), pl. Fenns.
    I hadn't thought of that. That sounds like a great explanation, there's a few Fens in England, especially a large area in Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and Norfolk just called "The Fens".
    It was a former marsh land with the settlements built on hills, it was drained by Dutch engineers and has very fertile peat soils.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    England has many different names for the same thing derived from different variants of North and West Germanic languages.

In my part of the country I can't think of anywhere called 'Weald' or 'Wold', there's a massive difference between place names in the North and South and lesser so East and West.

Sybren, do any of these place name elements see similar to Frisian ones?

A few Old English place name elements:

Modern English version is in brackets ()

-burna (-borne) a brook, stream

-burh (-burg / -bury / -burgh) a fortified place, castle

-broc (-brook) a brook or stream

-brycg (-bridge) a bridge

-cot a cottage

-den a valley

-dun a hill or down

-eg (later -ey) an island or raised ground surrounded by marsh

-feld (-field) open space later a field

-ford a river ford

-halh a nook, corner of land

-ham a homestead

-hamm an enclosure, water-meadow

-hrycg (-ridge) a ridge

-hyrst a wooded hill

-hyll (-hill) a hill

-ingas (-ing) the people of ...

-leah (-ley) a woodland clearing

-mer (-mere) a lake

-mutha (-mouth) a river mouth or estuary

-stede (-stead) a place, site of a building

-tun (-ton) an enclosure, farmstead, estate

-wella (-well) a spring or stream

-wic (-wich) Romano-British settlement

-wick produce (of a farm, particularly dairy)

-worth an enclosure, homestead
    I've seen 'meer', 'burg' and 'den' in Northern Europe.

Viking place name elements:

Modern English version is in brackets ()

-bekkr (-beck) a farmstead or settlement, then a village

-by a farmstead or settlement, then a village

-dalr (-dale) a dale, valley

-ey an island

-gathr (-garth) a yard, open space

-gil a ravine

-holmr (-holm) flat ground by a river

-kirkja (-kirk) a church hence Scots kirk

-lundr (-lund) a grove

-nes (-ness) promomntory, headland

-thorp an outlying farmstead or hamlet

-thveit (-thwaite) a meadow

-toft a site of a house and outbuildings, a plot of land, a homestead

-vithr a wood

There's also many ways to name a stream, a few in Northern England are 'beck' (Old Norse), 'burn' and 'brook' (Old English) and there's also a few others in the South I believe.

Then there's a few different names for hills, one very local to the South Pennines is 'Low' which is ironic considering 'Low' in standard English refers to something not very high.

Then there's also a local name for a stream in a deep ravine - 'Clough', pronounced somewhere between 'cliff' and 'cluff' - it is better if you hear it.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Ancestry
    Frisian, Saxon
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Frisia Frisia
    Politics
    Frisian nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The name "Weald" is derived from the Old English weald, meaning "forest" (cognate, German Wald). This comes from a Germanic root of the same meaning, and ultimately from Indo-European. Weald is a specifically a West Saxon form; wold is the Anglian form of the word.
    The adjective for "weald" is "wealden".
    That must be it. Also, 'Wāld' is pronounced with the ā sounding like English 'awe'.

Sybren, do any of these place name elements see similar to Frisian ones?
    The ones i can think of:

Burh (-burg / -bury / -burgh) - Frisian: Burch
    Brycg - Frisian: Brźge
    Feld - Frisian: Fjild
    Mer - Frisian: Mar
    Stede (-stead) - Frisian: (we call a city: 'Stźd'. Pronounced similarly to English 'Stead')
    Thorp - Frisian: (we call a village: 'Doarp'. In Dutch: Dorp)

Someone like Anlef probably knows a lot more.
    Būter, brea en griene tsiis
    Wa't dat net sizze kin is gjin oprjochte Fries!

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Thumbs Up 'Wold(s)/Wald/weald/wālden'

Sorry guys. I now see i made a mistake. It's not 'vean', but 'fean'.
    When you do this, Frisian, the 'Viking' in me comes out.
    I was trying to think yesterday, I kept thinking I'd heard that name somewhere before and it just occurred to me - there's places in Southern England called 'Wealden' and there's also the word 'Wooden' (something made from wood).
    The Weald is in South East England in the areas inhabited by the Jutes and Saxons. The Lincolnshire Wolds are Anglian country, the word must have taken a slightly different meaning there or perhaps the hills were once wooded like the Weald.

For 'Wolds' I got:
    In my part of the country I can't think of anywhere called 'Weald' or 'Wold',
    That must be it. Also, 'Wāld' is pronounced with the ā sounding like English 'awe'.
    Here's the etymology of the mod. Eng. "wold," y'all: "--> from the Middle Eng. 'wald' and 'wold' (2 different spellings apparently common) --> from the Ang.-Sax. 'weald' and 'wald' both meaning, of course 'forest' and akin to the Althochdeutsch 'wald' (forest)." In Ang.-Sax. beyond meaning 'forest' 'weald' also could mean: (of course) 'wood(s)', grove, bushes, or any kind of foliage. Northumbria aptly defines/quotes what the MODERN meaning of 'wold(s)' is in English, but in my mind it's quite sad that it NO LONGER means 'forest'/'wood(s)', because IT SHOULD, but the course of centuries has caused Eng.-speakers to 'pervert'/INVERT this term into the EXACT OPPOSITE! with a meaning like "open country" (fields) when its ORIGINAL/TRUE form/meaning is NON!-open country. I don't mean this as a slight against English folks or Eng.-speakers, because I am MOSTLY ENGLISH BY 'BLOOD' (and am ELATED! to be ) , but this massive, opposite change in meaning was super screwed-up> (:-\

I have further commentary on some other pts. forthcoming (I've run out of time in here for the night), including on 'fen/fenn' and the Eng.-Frisian similarities/contrast between/among the mutually shared term 'burch'--thanks for pointing that one out Sybren. Velvet, please reply to my query over the apparently modern Deut. (WHICH VARIETY? ) term 'Fenn.' ...GREAT INPUT!/REPLIES! gentlemen and lady...*Happy Tuesday!*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast