Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

U.S. Military Ends Policy Banning Openly Gay Americans From Service

"equality, equal opportunity, and dignity for all Americans."

"These are men and women who put their lives on the line in the defense of this country and that's what should matter the most.,"

U.S. Senator Joseph Lieberman (Independent, Connecticut), who had campaigned for the repeal of the policy known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," said the milestone represented "the front line of the civil rights movement."

"To me this is not just a victory for the gay and lesbian community of American, or more narrowly, for gay and lesbian Americans who want to serve in the U.S. military. It's a victory for our country,"

First Lieutenant Joshua Seefriend is a 25-year-old officer in the U.S. Air Force who last year used a pseudonym to found an underground group of some 4,000 gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender service members.

Now he has dropped his guise.

"No words can describe how it feels to stand up here and be able to say for the first time [that] my name is First Lieutenant Josh Seefriend and I am a gay first lieutenant in the United States Air Force," he said at the Capitol Hill press conference. "It's a huge burden lifted off of my shoulder and the 65,000 other gay and lesbian and bisexual troops out there serving in the military right now."

"I'm 31 years old, I'm a woman, I'm a United States Marine, and I'm a lesbian," said another member of the military, who choked back tears as she spoke.

More than 100 GLBT soldiers have also revealed their identities in the first publicly distributed issue of a new magazine distributed by the military named, "OutServe."

In a statement issued by the White House, Obama said, "As of today, patriotic Americans in uniform will no longer have to lie about who they are in order to serve the country they love. As of today, our armed forces will no longer lose the extraordinary skills and combat experience of so many gay and lesbian service members."

He also said that ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" would bring the country "closer to the principles of equality and fairness that define us as Americans."

Senator Carl Levin (Democrat-Michigan), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the policy's repeal strengthens the military because all willing Americans will be able to fight for their country.

"Their service will be judged based on their duty performance, not on their sexual orientation. Our military will be stronger because service members with skills and experience that our military needs will not face discharge because of who they are," said Levin.

http://www.rferl.org/content/us_mili.../24333747.html
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society."

~Aristotle

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 06:10 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Wisconsin Wisconsin
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Good.

Homosexuals(a very tiny minority) have always been targeted by neo-conservatives to rile up social conservatives who feel their lifestyle is under attack. Of course, the neo-cons couldn't care less about homosexuals(or abortion, religion, or any of the other issues they use to rile up their base). Their main motivation is helping the corporate benefactors and Zionists who fill their pockets.