State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Panzercorps by Matrix -- Released July 10

All fans of the old SSI classic Panzer-General (for DOS) can rejoice. Panzercorps Wehrmacht by Matrixgames has been released in July and became a hot-seller within weeks.

Here a review:
    Like Panzer General, Panzer Corps Wehrmacht defies categorization. The game’s simple mechanics seem to make it a beer-and-pretzel game, but that belies the amount of acumen needed for strategy and purchasing of units. Some commentators call it a puzzle game, but every combined arms operation resembles a puzzle. Abstraction of terrain and scale rule it out as a grognard historical simulation. The best characterization may come from the Flash of Steel podcast that called it a “bridge” game, introducing beginners to historical gaming. Fortunately, Panzer Corps has attractions for the hard-core also.
    Full review:
    http://www.wargamer.com/article/3064/panzer-corps

Website of the game:
    http://panzer-corps.com/

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Here is a review in German.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Annotation: For Victory in the East it is essential to archive a Decisive Victory in the Operation Barbarossa scenario where you are practically in the role of General Guderian, thus fight with your Panzergroup in the central sector (attached to Army Group Center). The map here is from Warsaw (West) to Smolensk (East). If you are fast enough the program asks you to pick between Kiev (historically) or early drive on Moscow. Choose Moscow. Although Kiev (historically the largest pocket battle of all times) brings you a lot of prestige (the currency in the game) you play off your chance to take Moscow quick enough. To archive a Decisive Victory in the "normal" Moscow offensive in October/November is literally impossible, which is after Kiev your next mission anyway, due to General Mud and General Winter like it was historically. Also in October/November the Soviets are heavily entrenched and fortified and have much more troops (from Siberia), which they don't have in August/September. Nor are the 3 fortification lines build yet.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The following 'ear-worm' kept in my head from extensively testing the game, and my ability as a strategist on operation-level as Panzergruppe-Commander. I do that usually with the proper background footage of my "Wochenschau"-collection. The following "Stuka-song" is in almost every edition of DW from No.564-590 (June 25 to December 24, 1941 , e.g. the Operation Barbarossa coverage).

After all, without them (and the 88mm Flak) the Soviet T-34s and KV1+2s would be really messing up the operations. Engaging them with Panzergruppe's Panzer IIIs and Skoda 38ts is really, how shall i put it, painful. .

Last Online
    Saturday, December 29th, 2018 @ 03:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    teach, research
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Gottgläubig
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Panzercorps by Matrix -- Released July 10

Quote Originally Posted by MCPThree View Post
    Here is a review in German.

Annotation: For Victory in the East it is essential to archive a Decisive Victory in the Operation Barbarossa scenario where you are practically in the role of General Guderian, thus fight with your Panzergroup in the central sector (attached to Army Group Center). The map here is from Warsaw (West) to Smolensk (East). If you are fast enough the program asks you to pick between Kiev (historically) or early drive on Moscow. Choose Moscow. Although Kiev (historically the largest pocket battle of all times) brings you a lot of prestige (the currency in the game) you play off your chance to take Moscow quick enough. To archive a Decisive Victory in the "normal" Moscow offensive in October/November is literally impossible, which is after Kiev your next mission anyway, due to General Mud and General Winter like it was historically. Also in October/November the Soviets are heavily entrenched and fortified and have much more troops (from Siberia), which they don't have in August/September. Nor are the 3 fortification lines build yet.
    SO I could actually win the war in this game? As I said on the game thread I hate those games where no matter how many victories you win Germany still loses the war (and your last level is always the battle for Berlin). If, as you seem to indicate, Moscow can be taken then this is a gem of a game!
    “unless they know, mystically, that beneath the concrete lies the earth which has nourished their race for a thousand years and ... that it is their own earth from which their blood is shed and renewed, then they are a lost people, and easy prey for those who have lacked roots for many centuries"
    A. K. Chesterton

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorbrand View Post
    SO I could actually win the war in this game? As I said on the game thread I hate those games where no matter how many victories you win Germany still loses the war (and your last level is always the battle for Berlin). If, as you seem to indicate, Moscow can be taken then this is a gem of a game!
    If you win a Decisive Victory in the East the program says that "Stalin in chains and waits for his trial as a war criminal and crimes against humanity". You then get a bonus "Sea Lion 1942" (hypothetical) to bring Churchill to justice. I have to admit that this is almost impossible, as there are too many US troops already in Britain (The USAAF is the problem).

My point was: You can only win in the East if you manage to get the hypothetical "Early Moscow" offensive. (Start: August 12, 1941). If you have to do Kiev you still get the Moscow task but scheduled as it was historically: October 2, 1941. After just a few days of clear weather you usually get rain which means MUD. And you can well see in the historical footage what that means in a country where the principal "road" is the Rollbahn.
    Plus the above mentioned "Stukas" are also not available. The only thing you can do then is to wait...to wait...either on clear or frost weather.

Lesson: Operations run smooth for the Wehrmacht in 41 as long as there is good weather (summer, late summer, early fall).

Last Online
    Saturday, December 29th, 2018 @ 03:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    teach, research
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Gottgläubig
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPThree View Post
    If you win a Decisive Victory in the East the program says that "Stalin in chains and waits for his trial as a war criminal and crimes against humanity". You then get a bonus "Sea Lion 1942" (hypothetical) to bring Churchill to justice. I have to admit that this is almost impossible, as there are too many US troops already in Britain (The USAAF is the problem).

My point was: You can only win in the East if you manage to get the hypothetical "Early Moscow" offensive. (Start: August 12, 1941). If you have to do Kiev you still get the Moscow task but scheduled as it was historically: October 2, 1941. After just a few days of clear weather you usually get rain which means MUD. And you can well see in the historical footage what that means in a country where the principal "road" is the Rollbahn.
    Plus the above mentioned "Stukas" are also not available. The only thing you can do then is to wait...to wait...either on clear or frost weather.

Lesson: Operations run smooth for the Wehrmacht in 41 as long as there is good weather (summer, late summer, early fall).
    Right! You've sold it for me Churchill AND Stalin in chains - what a prospect
    “unless they know, mystically, that beneath the concrete lies the earth which has nourished their race for a thousand years and ... that it is their own earth from which their blood is shed and renewed, then they are a lost people, and easy prey for those who have lacked roots for many centuries"
    A. K. Chesterton

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorbrand View Post
    Right! You've sold it for me Churchill AND Stalin in chains - what a prospect
    I did fail with the latter. (level: normal, but with "fog of war" and weather, cause otherwise it would be totally unrealistic). As said, 1942 there are already US troops and USAAF units who saved WSC from joining 'Uncle Joe' (Stalin) in prison.

Analyzed reason: Too few fighter plane units.
    Reason: The whole make-up/order of battle of my Panzergruppe was of course that it is was "designed" to engage continental enemies. A possible solution may have been to disband a few ground-units to be able to "buy" more Me 109 F+G. But who in the world likes to disband his veteran and crack units that he reared throughout the campaign in numerous battles to "elite standard"?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The campaign game always starts September 1, 1939 "Poland". Your initial force (core units of your Panzercorps deployed around Oppeln-Silesia) is always the same, namely:

3 x Wehrmacht Infantry
    2 x Wehrmacht Infantry motorized (on Opel Blitz)
    1 x Gebirgsjäger Infantry
    1 x 10,5 Leichte Feldhaubitze L18 (motorized)
    1 x Panzer I Ausf. A
    1 x Panzer I Ausf. B
    1 x Panzer II
    1 x Me 109 E fighter
    1 x Me 110 C Zerst.

plus OKW attachment of

1 x Slovakian Infantry
    1 x Panzer III E
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available are 4 core slots. Sufficient $ to buy the following units (player's choice):

1 x SiG Sturmpanzer I (self propelled Artillery, deployed on hex southeast of Oppeln to start next turn by firing on Polish Infantry entrenched in Cieszyn )

1 x HE 111 level bomber (also in hindsight of next scenario "Norway" where Luftwaffe is essential to engage British RN naval units)

1 x Ju 87 B Stuka (essential for close support ground strikes)

Only $168 left so last one has to be something cheap. My choice is

1 x Sd Kfz 222 recon vehicle (because of it's scouting performance)

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community