Politics
    The Northern Path
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that following some simple rules will answer most questions about sticking to existing rituals, renewing them or finding new ones.

• Like with tradition, rituals are about passing on the fire, not about worshipping the ashes. Stick to the intention and character of a ritual, not to superficial nonsense like clothing.
    • Ask yourself: what was the reason that a certain ritual came into existence? How did it evolve into our time? Why am I doing it? What is the depth and nature of the experience I am seeking?
    • If it ain't broke don't fix it. Our forefathers had a brain of their own and they had a good reason for those rituals.
    • Rituals should have meaning in our daily life. This means finding a way that brings the ritual and it's desired effect into our personal sphere is a good thing to do. This however also implies adapting a ritual to make it resonate with our own life and society is a good thing as well.
    • Adapting rituals to suit trends, fear of public opinion, fashion or other superficial contemporary fads is only reserved for morons, as is mixing up the outer appearance of a ritual and the nature and purpose of a ritual.

I am not an expert on rituals, but in my experience asking these questions help me focusing and also helps keeping me in sync a very long line ritual tradition and ritual purpose which in my opinion reside in the deep bond between a folk, nature, the spiritual and with the gods and goddesses of our folk.

Honor and defend the northern people,
    Honor and defend the northern lands,
    Walk the Northern Path,
    Sigr!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, December 29th, 2011 @ 12:46 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Dinarid and Mediterranid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Musician and computer technician
    Politics
    The Thermonuclear Warhead
    Religion
    Germanic Paganism/ Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn View Post
    I agree completely; I do not mean to say that 'anything goes' but certainly, variation and evolution are one thing that make our faith and our folk great; that which has stopped growing has probably started decomposing!

Thorbjorn
    Indeed. I didn't imply that anything went, but yes. Very true. We must always seek to evolve spiritually, mentally, and physically. Decomposing? Like Christianity?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Grandparrents Faroese, now live in germany
    Ancestry
    My grandparrents on mother side where faroese, my father was born in munich,
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Heilerziehuingspfleger
    Politics
    no party affiliation
    Religion
    germanic heathen norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackened_Might View Post
    Indeed. I didn't imply that anything went, but yes. Very true. We must always seek to evolve spiritually, mentally, and physically. Decomposing? Like Christianity?

Somehow it was epxected that christianity will start to decompose at some point, i mean their god is a zombie, thats expected to rotten ^^

I think its simply important to go with what you feel is right. If you try to open yourself, and sincerely try to understand the realationship our ancestors had to their gods not logically but emphatically you will get very far. We are trained from the childhood on to go with your brain, and think everything through. That is so programmed into us that we tend to overthink things.
    You need to learn again to trust your feelings, to let your subconciousness play a big role. Trust your inner voices, once you are really open, not all of them will be yours. But to really let that happen we need to learn again to think and be like a child. If you have children its a good idea to integrate then into the ritua. They are still way more open to the spiritual world. It comes to all of us naturally (though of course not to all in the same way or intensity), but education burries a lot of that deep into our mind. You will need a while when you begin to touch that again. Bring a shovel, its burried deep Dont be disappointed if it doesnt work right away, everything needs a little training.

Now about dressing "correctly". If i see people who wear a suit everyday to work and at homne jeans and t-shirt, getting for their ritualks suddenly dressed in the style of 800 A.D. with chain mail and horned helmet, working with runes he traced with paper from a viking grave stone i get the feeling of ritual enactment, not ritual performing. If on the other hand you are intoi enactment, and dress like that every other weekend anyway, i can find nothing wrong with performing your rituals that way. It really depends on the circumstances. Generally your clothes should be simply practical for this purpose, for example if you do something with fire you should wear something that wont let you go up in flames should a spark/glimmer land on your clothing.
    I find it allways a good idea to start your ritualing carrer with lots of experiments. Test what workls for you, be creative. From that you should slowly develop your the rituals that had the most meaning for you, that triggered the most feelings, energy etc in you. Just that a ritual works for person a doesnt mean it will also work for person b. But you can learn a lot from the experience that it didnt work for you. If i may make a comparison to science. The is a rule in science that says there are no failed experiments, cause no matter what went wrong, you have learned something from it. Remember that when you stand in the smouldering ruins of your tent and remember to do fire rituals in the open next time.
    I do joke about it a lot in this post, because you should allways remember that rituals are a very serious buisness, BUT if you forget the humor you lack an important ingredient. Laughter is a very powerfull feeling, with lots of positive energy, so why should you exclude that from rituals ? I allways found it one of the biggest mistakes of the christians to remove humor from their churches. Its one big reason the religion dies here in europe. Thats one of the few things where the blacks in america are smarter then the whites. The have fun being in church, and look how alive and kicking many of their parishes are, with lots of young people, while the white parishes have an average of over 60 year old customers.
    Our gods are no old grouches or sour balls, they enjoy a good laugh as much as we do. Our gods do have humor ! Our gods love to have a good time, and so should you ! I am absolute certain that they enjoy a ritual that is full of laughter much more then one that is all serious. Of course there is also too much of a good thing. Try to keep them balanced out, with severity and gravity on the one hand and being relaxed and having a good time on the other hand. Both parts are important and only together its really complete.

I hope i got across what i wanted to say,at some points i didnt know how to find the correct words with what i wanted to say, and searched a lot in my dictionaries
    There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last.

Judging by it´s name common sense must once have been a pretty common thing. When and why did that change, so it became the rare treasure it is today???

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 12:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    For me laughter does not belong into rituals. (Humor might be, depending on the situation and on the Gods).

From an energy point of view, laughter is explosive energy, high energy so to say, burned with a mechanical deed. This ernergy is rightfully spirituell energy and could be used to increase your spirituell connection. I would stop before laughter breaks through and redirect myself to the task and connect with the Gods.

With laughter you destroy the solemn energy of a ritual. During laughter you lose the connection to the Gods which in ritual you should try to hold.

Humor is an entirely different thing. Sometimes the Gods show you something which is humorous. The energy is different, you stay connected and feel their presence.

Most of the old rituals are still in us and can be retrieved. When you sit on a fire and think about something you get a connection to something deeper in you. There are different situation were you just can sit and look what is coming up inside you, then you can track it by asking yourself questions and then watch again what is coming out from deep inside you. It is just a way to retrieve what has been and can then be adapted to the modern times.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Grandparrents Faroese, now live in germany
    Ancestry
    My grandparrents on mother side where faroese, my father was born in munich,
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Heilerziehuingspfleger
    Politics
    no party affiliation
    Religion
    germanic heathen norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I meant that for a really long ritual, where you are at it for severall hours, and go through serious phaces with high concnetration and relaxation periods where you just let go to build up energy again for the things to come.
    There are certainly parts or even whole rituals where laughter would be out of place, and disturb the severity of the ritual part at hand. But it really depends on where in the ritual you are and what you are doing at that moment. I dont think you would laugh in such situations anyway.
    I dont think its generally out of place though in rituals. I could even think of rituals where laughter is an essential part of the ritual.

@ Ælfrun

I totally forgot to answer you. Between canines looking directly intoi they eyeis very agressive, that goes for most mammals (so when you meet wild animals you usually try to avoid direct eye contact). Staring one another into the eyes is a direct challenge to fight. Because of that i am very sure taht whatever you made eye contact with only looked like a coyote (Odin is known to shape shift, and here he seemd to like wolf from, coyote is not tha far away from wolf, but there are also other possibilities). Try to remember what the eyes looked like. I am allmost vertain they lookd nothing like a coyote !
    There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last.

Judging by it´s name common sense must once have been a pretty common thing. When and why did that change, so it became the rare treasure it is today???

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 12:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Once I was strolling around and saw coyote cubs playing, I watched them for a while until they somehow noticed me. As they were more curious than fearful I sang a lullaby. It was interesting to see their reaction.

I have done the same with a deer recently (season isn't open yet). Something can be transferred by the human voice.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Bavarian Berkserkr
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 @ 07:03 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Primarily German. Other northern European listed in DNA test results.
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired military and student.
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I feel like I need to preface my comment by stating I'm a Christian, so I know my opinion may be ill recieved. It seems to me that if the meaning of some of the rituals is lost than making new rituals would be the better option. Going through the motions of a ritual you don't understand will never make anyone feel closer to the gods than one with purpose. If Christians didn't explain the last supper to people but kept doing the Holy Sacriment then when asked about their faith Christian children would say, "Well we go in to church and get crunk and eat crackers". Ritual with without meaning lack the intimacy and feeling our respective dieties deserve. New rituals with purpose could strengthen the hearts and faith of current heathens, keep the religion alive, and maybe even help convert greater numbers. Rituals with meaning can only help to add legitimacy to a religion that non-believers attempt to descredit by citing the gaps in the surviving documents supporting the religion. As long as any new rituals embody the spirit of the core beliefs of Heathenry, than there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.
    13. "Boldness is better | than plaints can be For him whose feet must fare; To a destined day has mine age been doomed, And my life's span thereto laid."
    -Skirnir, Skirnismal

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm new to this subject and I have some questions.

The old rituals come from the two Eddas and Germania by Tacitus. Are there any other sources for the rituals?

Don't both Christmas and Easter have elements from pagan traditions. For Christmas didn't the Germanic pagans burn trees and take one to celebrate the death/rebirth and wasn't Santa Claus originally Odin (some populations called him "father yule", or a "white horse rider" the Christians just changed his name to St. Nicholas) and he would ride around on his white horse at night and tell of the yule and all the other gods would ride overhead.

And didn't Easter (spring equinox) (oster meaning sun rises exactly in the east) have a sun wheel ritual like this...
    easter wheel

Are there rituals for the fall equinox (which is today) and mid-summer too? (is mid-summer a huge feast with a bonfire?)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, December 29th, 2011 @ 12:46 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Dinarid and Mediterranid
    Country
    State
    Florida Florida
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Musician and computer technician
    Politics
    The Thermonuclear Warhead
    Religion
    Germanic Paganism/ Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My apologies for perhaps being off- subject, but my question is in regards to sensing the presence of a/ the god/ gods and/ or goddess/ goddesses (provided that of course this is possible). Can you sense them? And if so, what are you supposed to feel?

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Can you sense them? And if so, what are you supposed to feel?
    Watch this episode "Is There a Creator" from the TV series "Inside the Wormhole" and start at 21 minutes into the video. Click on part two and watch the beginning of that. It explains the biological part of the brain that lets us feel the god feeling.

I've only felt the feeling once when I was little the day I decided I wanted to be baptized and said the lords prayer with a group of religious leaders. You really have to believe that what you're doing is sacred and it helps if you're in a group preforming the ritual. I'm not sure I'm able to feel it again because my belief isn't there anymore.

Is There a Creator

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast