Thread: Reviving Old Rituals Vs. Developing New Ones

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Grandparrents Faroese, now live in germany
    Ancestry
    My grandparrents on mother side where faroese, my father was born in munich,
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Heilerziehuingspfleger
    Politics
    no party affiliation
    Religion
    germanic heathen norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyfing View Post
    Reminds me of Hrafnkell and Freyfaxi..

Later,
    -Lyfing

WOW ! I am really blown away by this ! We had no idea that our ritual had any resemblances to old rituals, we just did what felt right to us and followed that. That our ritual has roots in rituals that our ancestors did shows me that someone showed us what to do, influenced us, directed us, however you want to call that.
    I have to tell my friend about this, he will be blown away by this as well. It shows you can really revive those old rituals, without even knowing about them. You only need to really open yourself and ask for guidance, then it will be granted to you ! I really had goosebumps reading this ! It shows we had the right idea, and we will go on like this. For a while we where both a bit unsure about this, thats why i opened this thread. But this connection to old rituals shows we are on the right way and should follow it further. It shows if you ask for guidance and are sincere and open to be influenced you can open a connection to the gods and they will show you what to do. After all thats the way our ancestors must have gotten their rituals, so why shouldnt we get it the same way ? In this i agree completely with the poster before me. Many thanks to you for this article. It is very reassuring to us !

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 @ 11:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Dinarid and Mediterranid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Musician and computer technician
    Politics
    The Thermonuclear Warhead
    Religion
    Germanic Paganism/ Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Utilizing new methods for one's rituals is indeed necessary nowadays and quite surprisingly (since I almost always loathe any modern practices), I actually like this idea considering our values have slightly changed in the past millennium and a half. Thanks for mentioning this. I shall implement these methods into future rites if necessary (so far I've only done as much as a few rune workings (the first of which was unsuccessful, the second of which was of great success, and the third of which was of semi- success) and a blot). Ocko's statement was also important. It's important that the vitki's state of mind and environment suit the ritual's purpose or else it's just futile.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 @ 07:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, and Wales
    Country
    Cultist
    Politics
    Cthulhic
    Religion
    LHP
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Working from within an established tradition is a good way for one to get the "bearings", but you will need, eventually, to strike out on your own. Simply repeating the ritual work of others only fosters stagnation.
    Omnia risus et omnis pulvis et omnia nihil - HPL

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about." - Willy Wonka

“niemand bleibt hier” - Maria Orsic

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish, Irish, English, Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, England, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Soldier
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is an interesting topic. On the one hand; do I think rituals should change? Well, yes and no - human sacrifice, for example, is something that was once practiced - but is somewhat out of touch with modern society. If someone tried to garrotte me and toss me in a peatbog, irrespective of their intent or state of mind, I'd have a thing or two to say about it Outside of that, however - if a ritual is not directly in opposition of modern virtues/values then I don't really see an issue with continuing to practice it.

That said, I distinctly recall a fellow in a man dress waving around a club hammer in his yard and wondering why his neighbours were "discriminating" against him by laughing. Is there any sense in attempting to go whole hog and dress up like people did a thousand years ago to perform rituals as they were a thousand years ago, possibly even in a tongue that is not your own? Is that reenactment, religion or somewhere in between? I think that attempting to produce a carbon copy of millenia-old rituals is a denial of self. I do not believe that you have to be a card-carrying goði to successfully lead a blot, so I don't think that standardization is necessary.

IMO, it is always worth recalling that we should not attempt to emulate our folk as we once were. We are our folk and the Gods know this - we don't need to pretend or seek affirmation by rebooting to our pre-christian ancestors. I think they're good with me wearing my jeans and tshirt and talking in my scottish english! I never perform ritual from a book. Certain customs are fair enough, such as the mead-horn but attempting to perform exactly as our ancestors did is a tad far for me, especially given the sparse knowledge we have of what people did for rituals in the past.

My thoughts on sacrifices though - I have heard of people raising an animal for sacrifice. Honestly, I'm not for it. Animal sacrifices are all well and good when you're a farmer (and hence, the animals you raise are your livelihood), or in a world where meat for the table is scarce - but otherwise it's strangely out of place to me, but that is only my humble opinion. The sacrifice of the mare mentioned earlier is, in my opinion, a very good example of a personal sacrifice to the Gods.

Thorbjorn

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 @ 11:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Dinarid and Mediterranid
    Country
    State
    Florida Florida
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Musician and computer technician
    Politics
    The Thermonuclear Warhead
    Religion
    Germanic Paganism/ Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn View Post
    That said, I distinctly recall a fellow in a man dress waving around a club hammer in his yard and wondering why his neighbours were "discriminating" against him by laughing. Is there any sense in attempting to go whole hog and dress up like people did a thousand years ago to perform rituals as they were a thousand years ago, possibly even in a tongue that is not your own? Is that reenactment, religion or somewhere in between? I think that attempting to produce a carbon copy of millenia-old rituals is a denial of self. I do not believe that you have to be a card-carrying goði to successfully lead a blot, so I don't think that standardization is necessary.

IMO, it is always worth recalling that we should not attempt to emulate our folk as we once were. We are our folk and the Gods know this - we don't need to pretend or seek affirmation by rebooting to our pre-christian ancestors. I think they're good with me wearing my jeans and tshirt and talking in my scottish english! I never perform ritual from a book. Certain customs are fair enough, such as the mead-horn but attempting to perform exactly as our ancestors did is a tad far for me, especially given the sparse knowledge we have of what people did for rituals in the past.
    You indeed have a good point. I don't have any special clothing or tools that I wear and/ or use when I perform any rites or blots. All my earthly body is covered in is whatever t- shirt I'm wearing (which is more often than not a band shirt, particularly my black Odroerir Götterlieder t- shirt or my black Bathory Blood Fire Death t- shirt or if it's between 4.44 (40 Fahrenheit) and 8.88 Celsius (48 Fahrenheit), I'll wear my Darkthrone Transylvanian Hunger long sleeve), whatever jeans, and whatever sneakers I have that year. Besides that, I have only my Mjollnir pendant and my leather wristband with a Valknut on it. That's my attire. If I ever make armour like Rob "Darken" Fudali of Graveland does for a hobby, I'll adorn myself in that (and if wolves ever drop on the IUCN meter, I would thereupon add a complimentary wolf hide (as much as I would never want to harm a wolf, but my ancestors' traditions are important as well)) for the more important high festivals i.e. Summer and Winter solstice, Beltane/ Samhain, and Ostara. For the hallowing of the ritual space and sending of the runes, I use my fist as the hammer and my index/ pointer finger as the wand. Most of the time, I perform my rituals in the traditional manner as accurately as possible. I don't have a drinking horn, so I use my beer stein instead and offer the gods premium beer (strictly St. Pauli Girl Lager and Guinness dark stout) instead of Mead (I'll brew mead once I can afford the tools required to brew it). I concur. We are the children of the gods and goddesses and they know this. Standardization is certainly not necessary, but let's not go too far out there with how we innovate our rites. Innovation is helpful in the sense that it simplifies matters by suiting the physical and social environment and the time frame, but it can also render our rites really cheesy and hardly representative of our ancient ways, so it's best to be creative yet careful.

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish, Irish, English, Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, England, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Soldier
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackened_Might View Post
    but let's not go too far out there with how we innovate our rites. Innovation is helpful in the sense that it simplifies matters by suiting the physical and social environment and the time frame, but it can also render our rites really cheesy and hardly representative of our ancient ways, so it's best to be creative yet careful.
    I agree completely; I do not mean to say that 'anything goes' but certainly, variation and evolution are one thing that make our faith and our folk great; that which has stopped growing has probably started decomposing!

Thorbjorn

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Gaelic, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    South Carolina South Carolina
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Archaeologist
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with you to a great extent.

Our ancestors had a relationship with the gods that we can only guess at. Their basis for faith was ultimately based on the 'way the world worked' for them. In an agricultural/animal husbanding society, with the technologies available to them, they were much more attuned to the subtle signals of the natural world. Any small farmer or vegetable gardener can tell you that one gains a whole new appreciation for the non-human world of the changing seasons, and just how powerful they are. Natural forces were not something that happened 'over there', they were constant threats that might happen 'right here'.

The lore and the information we get from it is a basis, a jumping-off point. We, who have made the conscious choice to follow the ways of our ancestors, have a whole slew of things to deal with our ancestors did not. But that doesn't change the faith factor. When one believes in the gods, the gods are real. When we incorporate the gods into our lives, it facilitates demonstrating faith in them, to them, and for them. When we have established the place the gods have in our lives, then we have a surer handle on what form communal worship needs to have.

Romanticising history should be done for inspiration, not to write a guide-book. Any set of behaviours can be ritualised, and when shown to be efficacious in achieving the desired result formalised within a group. If the time is right to perform a ritual, say for a successful harvest (as we are about to do!), then if the heart is sincere, the right words and appropriate actions will be given inspiration to be performed, to the degree necessary to achieve the two-fold goal of thanking the gods and re-affirming the relationship between folk and gods.

It's good to be able to air one's beliefs in a forum like this. This should only be taken for what I personally believe, I can't speak for others. I have read a lot of different perspectives, am getting more familiar with the lore, and seen a few other groups in action. I and the few who will be celebrating with my steading this year may not have any experience in community ceremony, but we know the gods will inspire us as our hearts are right.

Thanks for listening.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 5th, 2012 @ 12:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Rugian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Widowed
    Politics
    Tradition
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Attempting to extract cult acts from their context in their respective society ≠ sense.

Every sacrifice, every rite, ritual or ceremonial performed every taboo heeded were all irremovable from the total world view of the time and place in question. Therefore it makes little sense to live in a high rise building with a nine-to-five office job and sacrifice horses on your free time. Such an act would be completely artificial and shares little or nothing with the original ritual, with perhaps the exception of the horse-slaying itself. The meaning would simply not have the same contents to a post-enlightenment, urbanised human mind as it would in one that belonged in an agricultural, pre-modernised society.
    Surveying Asatru groups I think it is striking, that the religion is not so much the same as the pre-christian norse ones, as it is a new religion (where nostalgic ancestral cult plays a large role) within an old norse glossary and point of reference.

The attempt of any "revival" of an extinct worldview is ultimately a failed one, but this does not mean that it is meaningless. However, Asatru-believers would be fooling themselves if they thought what they do is continuity, especially when the extreme majority don't even carry the baggage to read the sources in the original language, and live such dramatically different lives than the people who enacted in this weltanschauung.

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think too that the most important part is the connection to the God you chose. Any ways to get there and receive support/give support, get advice etc will be helpful.

What happens outside in a ritual also happens inside (like the catholic church is using the transformation in their ritual which then through a few helpings should happen inside the worshippers. ((That it doesn't has different reasons, but that is another subject))).

a Tip:

When one wants to make runes more powerful I use this technique:

I kneel down and put the runestaff right underneath me (basically on the centerline of the body). Then I put my hands crossed in the back the indexfingers pointing down to earth.

Then I breath rapidly into the abdomen for as long as I can stand. (stoking up a fire so-to-say)

then I do a cleansing breath.
    then I inhale 3 times and hold the breath and pull energy from the earth up into my body. (If you don't know how simply imagine it). I 'pump' with the pereneum and pull it up. (the pereneum is the muscle right between your excretion organs).

Then I put the hands crossed above my head and indexfingers pointing heavenwords.

I do the rapid breathing into the abdomen again. Then a cleansing breath and the 3 inhales plus holding breath. then I pull in energy from 'heaven'.

I repeat this process 3 times.

The energy is then in your body.

Then you let the energy drop into the runestaff. Then it is charged and works pretty strong.

(you can try it and place it at plants for ex. there is a distinct growth in their vicinity).
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I offer my Gods whatever they require to assist me with whatever I am doing. I would never hurt an innocent animal or a human during a ritual. Self sacrifice is the most important sacrifice that one can give in any case.

As far as for preferring old rituals, I think that it is up to each individual to do what they will. I like following old recipes and adding my own touch to any ritual to make it more personal.

I like to invoke my Gods and elements as well to make it more personal. I am a Pagan/ Odinist, so I add my own magic to whatever I do. A ritual for myself can be as simple as sitting silently in the woods for an hour. I only incorporate my runes when I am doing divination, but I am always looking for signs and omens in my surroundings. Last night while I was sitting in a field under the full moon, a coyote came up to me and we made eye contact for awhile. It then walked off and then the Aurora Borealis appeared. I would say that was pretty magical.
    All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast