English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Naturalism commonly refers to the philosophical belief that only natural laws and forces (as opposed to supernatural ones) operate in the world and that nothing exists beyond the natural world.[1] Natural laws are the rules that govern the structure and behavior of the natural world. The goal of science is to discover and publish these laws. Philosopher Paul Kurtz argues that nature is best accounted for by reference to material principles. These principles include mass, energy, and other physical and chemical properties accepted by the scientific community. Further, this sense of naturalism holds that Spirits, Deities, and Ghosts are not real and that there is no "purpose" in nature. This sense of naturalism is usually referred to as metaphysical naturalism or philosophical naturalism.[2]
    For once, Wikipedia doesn't do a bad job of giving a synoptic definition of philosophical naturalism. As you can read, adherents of philosophical naturalism, and I am one, believe that there is no "purpose" in nature. That being so, one must provide rational purpose to one's own life. Biological or natural imperatives, such as reproduction, are neither a rational "meaning" or a rational "purpose"; they are merely instinctive and natural operations and products of the long evolutionary process.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Heinrich, Norbert, Stanley, and consequently Edie put it best there is meaning beyond physical promulgations of one's own genes as evidenced by the scientist who makes future generations more competent at breeding. Interpretations of such will only meant to aspire to he who develops a eugenics program, and makes it applicable/acceptable to his people is a God in my view.

What do you think of my theory, that life derives its meaning from experience and the sharing of experience? Anyone want to comment on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingvaeonic View Post
    Nah, nah, nah. The meaning of life, the universe, and everything is 42. Everyone knows that! Boy, do you people complicate things.
    Bah, 42 is such a boring number. I much prefer 76 or even better 85 personally

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 @ 05:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Scottish/German
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work sucks
    Politics
    ethno nationalism
    Religion
    Catholic Texas German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    So a bacterium who has undergone binary fission has had an objectively more meaningful existence than someone who is a son/daughter, brother/sister, and/or aunt/uncle and has succeeded in making their environment a better place for their family, community, country, and cultural descendants? If so, it's no meaning I invest in.

I am entirely unsatisfied by the idea that reproduction is the sole meaning in life. If being a tool for hardwired unconscious phenomena is somehow what we deem as being successful, let's be through with civilization and accept that bacteria have defeated us.

You find no meaning in being Irish?

I don't give a damn about superficial notions of a beloved civilization. If European people could be replenished and re-invigorated numerically I'd gladly support the annihilation of the current grandiose civilization that I'm supposed to be excited about as it actively works to rape us on so many levels. London and Paris and NYC can burn to the ground tomorrow for all I care. They are irrelevant in this line of reproductive thought.

If you don't have children with another European as a European you have essentially undone your biological line. Not just this, if you only have one child you have not replicated both parents hence you've essentially also done nothing to replenish the European population, which is why people in cities who have one child are still crashing the population.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Talon View Post
    I believe that our purpose is to become wise enough; advanced enough where we can fare forth to the stars and meet our makers
    Reminds me of what Nietzsche said, to prepare the earth for the arrival of the Overman.

Happiness is also a good pursuit, as it serves a greater purpose -- increasing the chances of reproduction.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    What is the meaning of life? I would say the better question is: Where can you find the meaning of life? And I'll tell you when I've found it.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingvaeonic View Post
    As you can read, adherents of philosophical naturalism, and I am one, believe that there is no "purpose" in nature.
    Then why do you experience the sensations of pain and pleasure? And how do you explain the existence of reward and punishment in nature?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, July 12th, 2019 @ 03:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    What is the meaning of life? I would say the better question is: Where can you find the meaning of life? And I'll tell you when I've found it.
    Indeed, that is a much better question. I could tell you where I found meaning and purpose in life, but then I wouldn't to spoil the search for some of you. Keep looking, troops, if you haven't already found it! The answer is out there.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, July 12th, 2019 @ 03:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindefense View Post
    Then why do you experience the sensations of pain and pleasure? And how do you explain the existence of reward and punishment in nature?
    I don't know. Do you? Perhaps you should ask why sensations such as pain and pleasure exist at all. Ditto reward and punishment. Nature exists and doesn't have to have a meaning or purpose. For human beings, meaning and purpose in one's life must be found, or produced, within one, not without.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindefense View Post
    Some people feel no pain, others feel no dizziness. At some point they are left wondering what pain or dizziness feels like, as they have no way of explaining how other people feel them. They're not usually nice sensations (well, pain arguably isn't always unpleasant, I suppose ) but they are part of life, and those who cannot experience them will find that something's missing from their lives.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Saturday, May 12th, 2012 @ 02:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Simple. To reproduce.

If you don't reproduce as an organism you have failed your entire natural and biological point of existence.

That's why you see many older, libertine types who are very upset on various forums when they see this stuff posted by people. They never had kids and failed as organisms in life and they know it, hence their inherent anti-traditional viewpoints.

Let's all smile at them.
    Your opinion doesn't count for much. Ever spent time to think about women and men who are physically unable to have children?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast