Icelandic
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Problem of Danzig

I have been reading a book on the web called "Poland from the inside". http://www.wintersonnenwende.com/scr...ide/pfi06.html this chapter is about the problem of Danzig.
    This book is from the year 1939 and at that time Danzig was 95% German in ethnicity and according to this there was a higher percentage of Scots in Danzig then of Poles.

Now I'd like to ask Germans here if they look at Danzig as German territory? Are the inhabitants still mainly of German origin and if so do you see them as real Germans? Should this territory be linked with Germany again? And last what is opinion on your Polish neighbours?

Last Online
    Friday, June 15th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ethnic Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvix View Post
    This book is from the year 1939 and at that time Danzig was 95% German in ethnicity and according to this there was a higher percentage of Scots in Danzig then of Poles.
    That sounds like complete BS. There was a large Polish population, which had frictions with the German majority.

Now I'd like to ask Germans here if they look at Danzig as German territory? Are the inhabitants still mainly of German origin and if so do you see them as real Germans?
    The modern inhabitants are mainly Poles. The whole Polish vs. German tit-for-tat ended with all Germans being expelled from there, after WW2 was over.

Should this territory be linked with Germany again?
    I'm not sure myself. That should be up to our German members to answer.

And last what is opinion on your Polish neighbours?
    You should have asked this question when Hamar Fox is online. His pathological hate-obsession with Poles is amusing, to say the least.

Last Online
    Monday, December 5th, 2016 @ 03:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A bit from the book, the person quoted is Professor Charles Sarolea
    "Danzig is a purely German town. Ninety-five per cent of the population are Germans. So homogeneous a population is, in itself, sufficient to prove that Danzig always was a purely German town.... Nor, strangely enough, did the Polish people themselves ever try to settle in any large numbers in Danzig territory, so that a Polish minority problem never had any occasion to arise. It is, indeed, a curious anomaly, as was set out by the Editor of this Review in a recent article, that after 300 years of personal union under the Polish kings and of close commercial intercourse, a much larger proportion of the Danzig population should have been of Scottish origin than of Polish origin."

This is explained by the fact, already quoted by myself, that the Poles were not allowed to become Danzig citizens during the personal union. But Professor Sarolea is unquestionably right - it is remarkable that there were more Scots than Poles in Danzig.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 02:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    There are no ethnic Germans left in the city, or anywhere else in the region for that matter. Many fled to Germany proper during the Red Army onslaught, and the rest were forced out or murdered by Polish and Soviet authorities immediately after the war. It is stolen German territory, pure and simple, but given that the area has, ethnically and culturally, been completely Polonised since 1945, it would make little sense for Germany to attempt to reassert sovereignty over the region, unless the plan was also to assimilate or ethnically cleanse the Poles from these new German borders. The appropriate conduct would be for the Poles to leave on their own accord and return the land to its rightful owner, but of course neither of the aforementioned scenarios will ever materialise so it is an irrelevant point.

The expulsion and slaughter of Germans from Eastern Europe, particularly from what is now Poland, and the physical seizure of the land by Slavic communists at the end of WWII is one of the worst atrocities in human history. We can carry on at length about the number of Poles inhabiting the territory while under German sovereignty, but the reality is that Germans dominated every aspect of society in Prussia, Silesia, Pomerania and other lands stolen after the fall of the Third Reich. The architecture that still characterizes Danzig, Stettin, Breslau and so on is all German in origin. Königsberg would fall into the same camp had the Red Army not razed it and replaced everything with hideous, drab Stalinist buildings. I have heard, however, that the Poles and other Slavs squatting on German land have allowed most of the old architecture to rot and urban areas in general to fall into decay.

I believe SwordOfTheVistula has a grandparent from a former German town in Prussia that is now part of Poland, and that he has visited the area, so you might want to ask him about it.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So what do you think of the Poles?

Poles are the biggest minority group where I live and I have only ones met a Pole that I liked (grew up as the only immigrant with Icelandic children). We've got about 9500 Poles here and of those 20% are unemployed. I often feel like they lack hygiene. They are also a big group here in prostitution and narcotics. They're probably the largest group in organized crime here and export huge amounts of goods back to Poland.

I have twice encountered Poles in Denmark. Both times I was in a group of Icelanders going to a tournament in Denmark. We staid in a gymnasium and had to share the hall with Poles. They walked all over your bags and had no respect for your property and both times they clogged the urinals and toilets and made them overflow all over the floor. Easy to say I didn't leave the hall with out my valuables and locked every bag before doing so.
    Steindinn Okkar 1 - Polski í ræktinni

Polish stereotype in Iceland.

Last Online
    Friday, January 20th, 2017 @ 07:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Preußin
    Subrace
    Balto-Nordid
    Country
    German Empire German Empire
    State
    West Prussia West Prussia
    Youth
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Danzig is a german town and will always be one even if it belongs at the moment to Poland. I'm sure that in the future this town will be populated mainly german again

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I surely hope so.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungen av Norden View Post
    That sounds like complete BS. There was a large Polish population, which had frictions with the German majority.

No, it is not.

According to the Leaguge of Nation (which administered the city) census of 1938 the Free State of Danzig was 97% ethnic Germans inhabited. The problem here was that in the 1938 Senate polls the NSDAP under Gauleiter Greiser (from August 39 on Forster) took 70% of the seats in the city parliament. And they were loudly demanding "Anschluss".

League of Nations High Commissioners
    Passport of the Free City of Danzig

Unlike Mandatory territories, which were entrusted to member countries, The Free City of Danzig (like the Territory of the Saar Basin) remained under the authority of the League of Nations itself, with representatives of various countries taking on the role of High Commissioner:[9]
    № Name Period Country
    1 Reginald Thomas Tower 1919–1920 United Kingdom
    2 Edward Lisle Strutt 1920 United Kingdom
    3 Bernardo Attolico 1920 Italy
    4 Richard Cyril Byrne Haking 1921–1923 United Kingdom
    5 Mervyn Sorley McDonnell 1923–1925 United Kingdom
    6 Joost Adriaan van Hamel 1925–1929 Netherlands
    7 Manfredi di Gravina 1929–1932 Italy
    8 Helmer Rosting 1932–1934 Denmark
    9 Seán Lester 1934–1936 Irish Free State
    10 Carl Jakob Burckhardt 1937–1939 Switzerland
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_City_of_Danzig

The Free City's population rose from 357,000 (1919) to 408,000 in 1929, according to the official census 95% of whom were Germans,[8]:5, 11 with the rest mainly either Kashubians or Poles.