Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Sad Asian Immigrant Tells Germany What a German is

The changing face of Germany

The definition of what it means to be German slowly appears to be changing – and that’s a good thing, according to The Local’s Marc Young.

Who are the Germans?

When I first came to this country two decades ago, the answer was pretty clear: Being German meant you were German by blood – even if your family had spent the last few centuries living along the Volga River.

If you were a recent immigrant from Turkey, Vietnam, Portugal or elsewhere, you might have had citizenship but many people didn’t really consider you a German back then. This attitude led to all sorts of integration problems in the 1990s. There was a huge influx of Russian-speaking “Germans” after the Iron Curtain fell, but other “immigrants” of the second and third generations born here never felt completely accepted in their adopted home.

Fortunately, it seems such antiquated views of German-ness are finally changing in favour of a modern, values-based interpretation of what it means to be a citizen of Germany.

According to a survey released this week, criteria such as mastering the language and adapting to society have superseded the question of ancestry when it comes to whether someone is considered really “German” these days.

Of course, as Germans have become more welcoming of outsiders willing to integrate, newcomers have become keener to consider themselves German.

As a well-integrated immigrant myself, I can confirm this shift with my own experiences over the years.

Back in 1992, a “Greek” university student who was born and raised in Baden-Württemberg told me she would never consider herself German because she had grown up being told she wasn’t one. I imagine the poor woman is still living in her own cultural limbo.

Fast-forward 18 years to the 2010 football World Cup: Germany fielded a multicultural national team reflecting the diversity of the country’s society – something that would have been unthinkable not so long ago. That Mesut Özil, who grew up in the gritty Ruhr Valley, plays for Germany and not Turkey has made him an example to people on both sides of the integration equation.

With Germany facing a demographic implosion in the coming decades, immigration and integration will only grow in importance. Germans from all walks of life have to be encouraged to have more children to ensure Europe’s largest country doesn’t collapse. But the fact is, Germany will not keep its economy booming nor will it be able to support its cherished welfare state without more immigrants, too.

So it’s encouraging to see that those valuing this society and having a stake in its future are now being considered a German. I know I’ll be raising a tasty Teutonic beer to salute them tonight.

Marc Young
    http://www.thelocal.de/opinion/20110805-36777.html

Last Online
    Thursday, December 29th, 2011 @ 08:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Frisian, Viking
    Subrace
    Atlantid + Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Western Australia Western Australia
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Banking
    Politics
    National Liberal
    Religion
    Secularist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a disgrace, it's a good job the Greek girl, thinks she's greek, this man just wants to destroy people's ancestral roots, and culture. Hey you know I think I'll become a chinese even though I'm germanic, she how the Chinese think about that.

In fact even though I lived and grew up in Malaysia for 11 years, I am not Malaysia, I had a Germanic upbringing in an Asian nation. I don't speak the language, I don't eat their food, but I lived there, and I would not give up my passport, just to have a Malaysian.(Malaysia does not accept dual passports)

In fact Malaysia kicks out the immigrants after a 10 year visa. The only reason I was there for 11 was because we had two 6 month temporaries before the 10 year permament residence.

Germany should ostracise this man out of the country first.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English-American
    Ancestry
    English/England
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    An asian can't be a German anymore then I can be Japanese. The Germans have been brainwashed into hating and destroying their own culture.

Any time anti immigrant sentiments are aired, articles like this come out. The Local is aimed at expats and only something like 7% of their readers are actual Germans.

I wonder, who did they survey for this article? Ethnic Germans or " germans"

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Württemberg, Franconia and I recently discovered old ancestors in Saxony
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wow, I'm always delighted when immigrants tell us what is German and what's not...

Who are the Germans?

When I first came to this country two decades ago, the answer was pretty clear: Being German meant you were German by blood – even if your family had spent the last few centuries living along the Volga River.
    Surprise, surprise, dear Mr. Young, but most true Germans still believe in German blood, but imported aliens like you don't seem to grasp the idea. In fact I welcome every ethnic German from the most hidden corner in Siberia or wherever they might come from. Smaller numbers of them are still coming, and they are worth 1000x more than the like of you!

Fortunately, it seems such antiquated views of German-ness are finally changing in favour of a modern, values-based interpretation of what it means to be a citizen of Germany.

According to a survey released this week, criteria such as mastering the language and adapting to society have superseded the question of ancestry when it comes to whether someone is considered really “German” these days.

Of course, as Germans have become more welcoming of outsiders willing to integrate, newcomers have become keener to consider themselves German.
    I'm sorry to spoil your wonderland, but a great portion of real Germans still holds these "antiquated views" very dear. You can adapt as much as you want and your German may be perfect, I will never accept you as equal to me or us in general. Dream on, but please don't be shocked when it turns out to be different.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English-American
    Ancestry
    English/England
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    You'd never say there were too many Arabs in the middle east, so why is it ok to replace ethnic Europeans and their culture with outsiders??? It's genocide!
    Proud to be Germanic.

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Frisian, Viking
    Subrace
    Atlantid + Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Banking
    Politics
    National Liberal
    Religion
    Secularist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Germaid View Post
    Surprise, surprise, dear Mr. Young, but most true Germans still believe in German blood, but imported aliens like you don't seem to grasp the idea. In fact I welcome every ethnic German from the most hidden corner in Siberia or wherever they might come from. Smaller numbers of them are still coming, and they are worth 1000x more than the like of you!
    And If I am right to hypothesize a British, Norwegian/Swede would be worth 500x more than the like of him.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gall-Gaidheal View Post
    And If I am right to hypothesize a British, Norwegian/Swede would be worth 500x more than the like of him.
    No, in fact all Germanics irrespective of the country are worth more than he is.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Frisian, Viking
    Subrace
    Atlantid + Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Banking
    Politics
    National Liberal
    Religion
    Secularist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Germaid View Post
    No, in fact all Germanics irrespective of the country are worth more than he is.
    Are you suggesting that any Germanic stock is of equivalent value and worth to become/be a German, if s/he wishes to?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gall-Gaidheal View Post
    Are you suggesting that any Germanic stock is of equivalent value and worth to become/be a German, if s/he wishes to?
    Yes, to me they are worth the same. I don't see why they should want to become a German, but if it were the case I would welcome them.

Last Online
    Sunday, August 4th, 2019 @ 03:05 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    So if we were to move en masse to an Asian country we would be able to call ourselves Asian? I think we would be seen as an alien entity and made to feel very unwelcome!
    I grew up on a belief of honour, courage and the old world values. The world isn't about that anymore, preferring to die a slow death of fast food and cheap thrills.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast