Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Care What Other People Think of You?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    West Prussia
    Ancestry
    From the roots of the Mountain.
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Occupation
    Student.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    People respond to all environmental stimuli in either an internal or external frame of reference, characterized by comparing the world with themselves, or comparing themselves to the world, respectively.

The internal frame of reference is more solipsistic for lack of a better term, most apathy or indifference derive from it. However I have noticed that many people have developed something like a negative external frame of reference, where they claim to be against conformity and dislike elements of society but are fanatically entrenched in a sub culture of some kind.

I once went to work in my pajamas because I wanted to be fired, I did not feel at all embarrassed, in fact it was quite comfortable, it felt like my work was an extension of my home by simply being there in clothes that were always so explicitly categorical. Many people thought I was sleeping at work and my plan succeeded.
    Life is a well of delight; but where the rabble also drink, there all fountains are poisoned.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Nordland Nordland
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If you are happy that is all that matters. Although personally I still care a lot about what people think about me I feel like it takes experience and wisedom to grow out of that mainstream culture and become a true free individual that is secure with themselves. Society today puts so much shame to all of us and embeds so many useless insecurities in us all that don't matter. All that matters is that life goes on and we are happy.
    Borte bra, hjemme best

Last Online
    Thursday, August 22nd, 2019 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    American of Northwestern European descent
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Sweden, Colonial America, Luxemburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coureur de Bois View Post
    Well, I just see a lot of people enjoy when people don't like them, and enjoy making people angry. This is very common, especially among youth.
    Still, implicit in the fact that they enjoy making people angry is that they care about what those people think of them.

Anyone who's sane is concerned with how they're perceived by others. That's completely natural for social animals like us. Those who say they don't probably care most of all. Case in point, I've found the saying "I don't care what other people think of me" to be most common among teenage girls, and is there any group in the world that objectively cares more about what others think of them than teenage girls do?

Last Online
    Saturday, March 10th, 2012 @ 04:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs Up

Everyone says it is lying to say you dont care what people think about you, thats true. I do care what white people think about me, but where I live it is all coloreds, so I could give a crap less.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles / Germany / Netherlands / Norway / France
    Subrace
    Borreby/CM
    Country
    United States United States
    Happily Married w/kids
    Occupation
    Professional
    Politics
    My own
    Religion
    Agnostic with Pagan leanings
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Up to a certain point, I care. Example: I don't wish to be perceived as a criminal, a mean person, a stupid person, or as a trashy person that doesn't conduct herself with respect. I also don't want to be thought of as a slob.

Thankfully, none of those things apply for me, and I don't have to *try being* some image that is not a true reflection of myself. Most people who know me would tell you I am a very genuine person, and with me, what you see is what you get.

Other than any of those things, I don't give a rip if people agree with my politics, social attitudes, sexual mores, or if they think I dress weird or am weird These types of things are highly individualized, and it is not my practice to be one of the herd of Sheeple.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 25th, 2011 @ 08:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    French-Canadian, Normand
    Ancestry
    France
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Quebec Quebec
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student/translator
    Politics
    Quebec Nationalism
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Kingsley View Post
    Some people apparently don't care what others think of them. I wish I was the same. I am too fixated on what others perceive me as... I am afraid of failing and too often convince myself that I will fail which leads to apathy and procrastination. Come to think of it, most of the things I've ever done, including getting my degree, were to show others that I'm smart. I wonder what it must be like to totally not care what others think of you, because I care a great deal.
    Im also studying mostly because it will look good to get a PhD. I want people to admire me... Mostly my family though, they are the only ones that really matter to me. But I also love what I study... So it's not too painful Other than that, I try not to care about what other people think of me. I was bullied in High School mostly because I was a good student and serious in class. I thought my classmates were pretty dumb (and they don't have much going on for them now so I guess they really were...). It made me stronger. I am who I am and if people aren't happy, it's their problem not mine! I know what I'm worth

Last Online
    Saturday, August 6th, 2011 @ 01:03 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Frisian
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Translator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtcrime View Post
    Plain and simple: Yes. In my opinion, everyone but a sociopath does care about that in some way. However, relatively seen, I think I care far less than most people do.

It's a quite short answer, but I guess there's not much more to say.

How dare you call me a sociopath!? Don't get me wrong, I don't dress scantily, or act crazy. However, nor do I act as if I'm betroved to the feelings of others.

I may be new here but I have read a lot of the comments and many of you 'men' com across as....lily-livered.

Most people respect those who have difference of opinions aslong as they are articulated with forthrightness.

Snap-out od this "eer....ummmm....I don't know. Woe is me" mind-set. It's not becoming.

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 10:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Denmark
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Reason
    Religion
    Science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    How dare you call me a sociopath!?
    I didn't call you anything, I don't even know you. Although I wonder, if you don't care about how you're percieved, why bother with me in the first place?

However, nor do I act as if I'm betroved to the feelings of others.
    This thread isn't about how you act. It's about what you think/feel.

Someone who artificially 'acts tough' although he isn't indifferent about how others view him isn't a sociopath, though at least immature and a plain hypocrite at worst.

Someone who really doesn't care at all about how he or she is percieved is a sociopath. Plain and simple, nothing about 'different opinions' there. Read up the definition.

In which category you fall is yours to decide.
    "Lever dot as slav."

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 @ 05:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Scottish/German
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work sucks
    Politics
    ethno nationalism
    Religion
    Catholic Texas German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Kingsley View Post
    Some people apparently don't care what others think of them. I wish I was the same. I am too fixated on what others perceive me as... I am afraid of failing and too often convince myself that I will fail which leads to apathy and procrastination. Come to think of it, most of the things I've ever done, including getting my degree, were to show others that I'm smart. I wonder what it must be like to totally not care what others think of you, because I care a great deal.
    I care but only if it is around someone who in them caring I stand to benefit, such as a job. I care what my boss or his boss thinks so I can be free of my current asshole boss, but I don't actually give a damn what any of them truly think. All truly successful people are narcissists, even the supposed "good people" in this world. Narcissism is the only true form of sanity in this world and is the ultimate personal stratagem of honesty to ones self. All non-narcissists essentially practice self mental delusion or, and this is more common, they are simply too stupid to be narcissists. Narcissism is an advanced form of personality. Hitler/Obama/Jesus/Mohammed/King/Chiefs/Bush/Putin/Gandhi/Buddha/Mao all are and or were narcissists of the highest order.

I go to bars alone and talk to women with a glass of continually refilled ice in my hand, not because I'm cheap, but because I don't want to be drunk if I entice the little imbecilic superficial socialite mental lesser into my chambers. (Kidding I just talk to them One should be a narcissist. Everyone else in the bar is a degenerate save for maybe a handful of people. This is true of life as well. Do not listen to the naysayers as they will rob you of your gifted narcissism with their myopic sycophancy.

You're all that matter in this world!!! These people are here for you. The universe created you to replicate yourself for it. It loves you as it created you for it. You only have one existence you should savor it and not let some other lesser entity define it for you.

(I'm just having fun with you lol)

I'm pretty conservative actually and despise bars and those who frequent them. Yet the above perspective probably accounts in many ways for a good 50% of our peoples today sadly.

Last Online
    Monday, October 31st, 2011 @ 05:16 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish,Germanic
    Ancestry
    Mainly Scottish and Germanic, 1/8th Anglo Saxon/Italian
    Country
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If it is a person who's opinion I care about, then yes. However if it is just some idiot who I care nothing about, hell no!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast