Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: English or Brit(ish)? What is the Difference?

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 04:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Politics
    Tradition, Monarchy, Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    I usually say I’m of English descent. I always think of being British as being a citizen of the UK, but I’ve heard either one used to mean both or one of the definitions lol.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 06:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonPagan
    I was reminded of this last night when Chlodovech wanted to show some 'English' girls behaving badly and posted a series of photos from Cardiff & Aberystwyth (.. I hope he never goes to Wales for his holidays ) so it seems like more or less everyone here on the mainland is now considered 'English'.
    I was aware that some of the photos I posted are from Wales, English and all of British nightlife is exactly like that - and so is nightlife in all West-European cities. There's nothing to dispute. I just thought you wouldn't be so ridiculous to pretend it matters, it reveals a level of desperation. I can look exclusively for pictures of evidence of decadence in Manchester and Birmingham too if you want me to, it won't take me long - but these scenes are the same everywhere. At least I have the peace of mind of knowing I don't support social and moral decay on a massive scale while you do, regardless of what you say - this is the practical result of your advice and politics - and that's the real issue - not in which British city these pictures were taken.
    “Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no-one is too poor to buy.” - C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

Grand Member
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts

It’s a bit like showing Liverpool football hooligans rioting and saying they’re Newcastle fans "because Newcastle do that sort of thing as well"

Anyway, I see you’ve now removed that post so you’ve tacitly acknowledged your howler I mean, the Welsh aren’t even Germanic!

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 06:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Is there never not a time for your drama? Have you still not learned? And what are you on? That post of mine is still there - as is your reaction to it. You've been conflating the doomer and incel threads since day 1, that's why you think posts went missing. Talk about howlers... In your haste to score a point you simply ignored the fact that the post was never removed, it's a bit of an owngoal. Derp! One for the blunder book. But hey, just keep up your drama and see where it gets you.

And my post perfectly illustrates my point - I wouldn't dream of removing a post showing you the consequences of sexual liberation - even if I didn't know where Cardiff is, but I do - ever since the Red Devils played against Wales in 1993. And I've known about this photo reportage in Wales for years. This is a famous set, it pops up once in a while and it has appeared on Skadi already. That's why you recalled its existence as well.
    “Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no-one is too poor to buy.” - C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    The way I've understood it is that the British are the inhabitants of Great Britain/UK, i.e. the English, Scottish, Welsh and possibly Northern Irish. While the English are the inhabitants of England only. Some peoples say British only refers to the inhabitants of Great Britain proper (England + Scotland + Wales), but not also Northern Ireland. Other peoples say that Great Britain is a geographical term, and British includes the Northern Irish as a political denomination (because they have British passports). I've also read that some of the Northern Irish, the Protestants especially identify as being British. And some peoples use Britain/British to refer to the whole UK. What about inhabitants of the Isle of Man and Channel Islands (Guernsey and Jersey)? Would they classify as British? What about those from the British Overseas Territories (Falklands, Gibraltar)? As far as I know, they've also British passports and citisenship, and many inhabitants are descendents of British settlers.

I've found this diagram:

green = geographical feature
    blue = legal distinction

Terminology of the British Isles

Also an explanatory video:

Someone wrote once that British is what the British/English call themselves when talking to Americans and I've also heard the notion that British are those from GB/UK who talk with a British English accent. The Scottish, Welsh and some of the Northern Irish (the Catholics and pro-IRA) don't like the term British because they like to affirm their nationalism/regionalism, especially those who want independence. So they will say they're Scottish, Welsh or Irish.

Here a map on national identification in UK from census 2011:

I've also heard that British is how the non-European citizens of England consider themselves because they don't like the English term, which they find to be ethnic based. So it seems to me that in the modern political scene, English seems to be a more ethno-nationalist term while British has become a more loose term, preferred by the non-English.

For example, here an article:

How calling yourself English rather than British means you are more likely to be wary of the EU

Those who identify themselves as English rather than British are more likely to be Eurosceptic and suspicious of the Scots.

Most of them, who live in England, believe the EU is a ‘bad thing’, with 58 per cent saying they would vote to leave.

Seven out of ten who believe they are English and not British, would vote to leave the EU in a referendum.

Britishness is also declining as a sense of identity for many in England, the Future of England Survey run by the IPPR think tank and Cardiff and Edinburgh universities, found.

While people in England have a strong sense of dual identity, they are increasingly saying they are English rather than British.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567