View Poll Results: do you believe in eternal damnation?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe in eternal suffering in hell as eg. the Catholic church teaches

10 38.46%
  • I believe in annihilation as eg. the Jehova Witnesses teach

0 0%
  • I believe in universal salvation as eg. some of the early church fathers taught

4 15.38%
  • other, please explain

12 46.15%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in Eternal Damnation?

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do You Believe in Eternal Damnation?

I already created this thread in the "general religion" part of this forum but now I am interested in the opinion of Christians in this forum

I know that the idea that at long last all of God's creatures will inherit paradise might sound like a modern liberal sentiment

on the other hand the doctrine of universal salvation had a long history in Church history; while on the other hand the idea of eternal damnation (and "eternity" itself) is a relatively new invention, not prior to the rise of Catholicism and I think foreign to the northern mind

we can discuss later as I am deep inclined to the topic but for the moment I am interested weather you believe in

I. the traditional doctrine of eternal torment in hell

II. annihilationism as taught eg. by Jehova Witnesses

III. universal salvation as taught eg. by ancient Church fathers as Origen, Gregory of Nyssa or modern theologists
    "Ein guter Mensch in seinem dunklen Drange ist sich des rechten Weges wohl bewußt."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust

Last Online
    Friday, December 9th, 2011 @ 05:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish + "American" (back to early colonial times)
    Ancestry
    Major: Sweden, England, Scotland, Holland, Minor: H. Germany, Austria, Ireland
    Country
    United States United States
    Ancient ways
    Religion
    personal Gods, one Father
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I believe in spiritual cause in effect, but eternity is a long "time" indeed.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    now where the poll is closed:

I expected more answers which leads me to following conclusion:

either the Christians in this board don't mind the topic of eternal damnation at all or they are fed up with this controversy

I thought that here at the forum there might be "ultra orthodox" Christians that condemn any liberal thoughts (e.g. universalism), which however would have brought them into the dilemma, that the majority in this forum rejects Christianity which would condemn them to eternal damnation according to "orthodox Christianity"

as no Christian answered any further discussion is obsolet I suppose

maybe the person that voted that he also believes in "universalism" might call me per PM
    "Ein guter Mensch in seinem dunklen Drange ist sich des rechten Weges wohl bewußt."

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago @ 01:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Folkish traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dark mind View Post
    as no Christian answered any further discussion is obsolet I suppose
    I believe in eternal damnation, like the Church commands me to. And hell is an actual place and not a state. No rest for the wicked. Awesome.
    “I asked Jonathan why he had to undertake something so dangerous. Couldn’t he just as well stay at home by the fire at Knights Farm and enjoy himself? But then Jonathan said there were things you have to do even if they are dangerous. “Why?” I asked. “Otherwise you aren’t a human being but just a piece of dirt.” - Astrid Lindgren, “The Brothers Lionheart”

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 @ 04:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German,Irish/Scottish/English,Italian, and Old Dutch/Swedish colonial bloodlines
    Ancestry
    Germany,Ireland/Scotland, and Italy
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nord Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Youth
    Politics
    Political Anarchist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't know if I believe in eternal damnation I think that is a bit extreme of a condemnation issues by mere mortals. I think dogmatist like to make extreme points out like this to scare people into submitting to their whims and desires. On the other hand I believe people who did evil things and projected negative energies onto others will most likely be locked into a world where they will have to live a lifetime to make up for their own wrongdoings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeistFaust For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlodovech View Post
    I believe in eternal damnation, like the Church commands me to. And hell is an actual place and not a state. No rest for the wicked. Awesome.
    I hope you allow me the question, how do you deal with the fact then, that the majority in this forum rejects Christianity?

Aren't they then be doomed to hell also (however I know that Catholics appear to be less strict than Evangelicals)?

And would this not turn racial issues in the background so that one should rather try to save one's comrades souls than to discuss racial issues?

On the other hand I believe people who did evil things and projected negative energies onto others will most likely be locked into a world where they will have to live a lifetime to make up for their own wrongdoings.
    sounds reasonable, I feel a similar sentiment

Last Online
    Friday, April 6th, 2012 @ 07:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Californian of German, Ukrainian, Irish heritage
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Politics
    Apocalyptic
    Religion
    Adamic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't believe the flames are literal. I don't think the Devil has horns, though he might have a hook nose like his children, the Talmudists.

Hell is "eternal separation" from God. And that would be beyond imagination. If you understand the true meaning of Colossians 1:17, "And he is before all things, and by him all things consist," separation from God is something right out the most bizarre and macabre of science fiction, separation from the "mysterious force" that holds energy together as matter. Like being in some eternal "other dimensional" prison, as one would see in Star Trek, or similar. The worst of the worst one would experience, and beyond, from a really bad LSD trip, experiencing horror of horrors. Being burned was not something that folks in the past liked (obviously!), and that illustration worked for them.

The Bible was written for very simple folk, who had a very rudimentary understanding of how the universe works. It couldn't have been written like, "In the beginning, God created the Higgs Boson, and matter materialized...," otherwise it would have not only been unacceptable to ancient folk, but it would have betrayed the natural social and technological evolution of humanity.

In short, I do believe in "eternal damnation," and it's not something God assigns you to. You assign yourself there by refusing to accept - or worse, willfully mocking - His existence & love, and His Son Jesus Christ. God only gives you what you claimed you wanted. The existence of God is obvious for all (Romans 1:19-20); even the ancient Germans accepted the existence of "Uralten."

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hell is "eternal separation" from God.
    I am familiar with this notion and I suppose it is less modern that one might suppose, what I miss is any biblical reference for this claim; ironically, the Eastern Orthodox Church teaches that eternal torment is the very presence of God for the sinner whereas the same presence of God is paradise for the saints.

Further, from a biblical point of view, how can anything exist apart from God, how can men exist seperated from God when they only live by the will of God, consequently in my opinion "eternal seperation" from God could only equal annihilation.

I do not know if you are willing to debate, I suppose you wouldn't change your mind anyway and there are enough Christian forums where this topic is debated. I see no need to convince anybody with my personal opinion as I came to the conclusion that most people believe what they want to believe anyway.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 12:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Mothers side:-Border Reivers NE England/ Fathers side, East Prussian and West Prussian.
    Subrace
    Baltid
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    State
    West Prussia West Prussia
    Single adult
    Politics
    Anti NWO
    Religion
    Christian, non trinitarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I dont believe in the teachings of the church, teachings of men, but I do believe in the teachings of the Bible, the word of God, and Iam pretty sure he knows what the fate of the dead is.

Now the greatest sin, one that lead to all others, was Adams sin when he disobeyed God and ate from the tree, Gods punishment wasnt some eternal torture, it was, "in the day you eat of the tree, you will positively die"

Sure enough, elsewhere the Bible says, "from dust you are, and to dust you will return".

"The living know they will die, but the dead know nothing at all".

The Bible plainly teaches that sin and disobedience to God leads to death, eternal death, God is not more evil than us that he would spend his time torturing people for ever just because they didnt get to know him.

So called "christian" teachings of hell being a place of eternal conscious torment are just twistings of original meanings by the likes of the Catholic church and Islam, into controlling thier masses with pure fear, not the Love that Jesus promotes to recommend God to us.

So the answer is, everyone will die, death being non existence, and forever.
    Jesus however, paid the price of death, which is a life, his, anybody that wishes too, can accept that free gift which will result in them being brought back to life in the resurrection.

Everyone else, though they also are brought back to life in the resurrection, it is only to be judged and to be aware of thier adverse judgement whereupon they experience the second death which is eternal non-existence.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    interestingly, non-trinitarians (as I am too) altogether seem to dismiss the notion of eternal damnation; thanks for your post

do you belong to any denomination?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast