Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Those Men Who Eat a Lot of Canned Food....

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

For Those Men Who Eat a Lot of Canned Food....

BPA makes male mice act like females: study

Male mice who were exposed as babies to BPA, a chemical common in canned foods and plastic containers, act more like females and are seen as less desirable mates, a US study showed Monday.

The findings could have implications for how BPA, or Bisphenol A, may affect human development and behavior, said the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"The BPA-exposed deer mice in our study look normal; there is nothing obviously wrong with them. Yet, they are clearly different," said lead author Cheryl Rosenfeld at the University of Missouri.

"Females do not want to mate with BPA-exposed male deer mice, and BPA-exposed males perform worse on spatial navigation tasks that assess their ability to find female partners in the wild."

Mother deer mice were fed a diet with levels of BPA that were proportional to the amount the US government considers safe for pregnant women to ingest.

The lab mice were fed this diet for two weeks prior to breeding and throughout lactation.

After their babies were weaned, the offspring were fed a BPA-free diet and their behaviors were monitored into adulthood.

The male mice who were exposed to BPA showed less ability to navigate a maze safely. This skill -- useful in the search for potential mating partners -- is well developed only in male mice, since females do not seek out mates.

"The untreated mice quickly learned the most direct approach to finding the correct hole, while the exposed males appeared to employ a random, inefficient trial and error strategy," said the study.

When scientists observed how fertile females regarded the BPA males compared to the unexposed males, they found females preferred the chemical-free males by a factor of two to one.

"These findings presumably have broad implications to other species, including humans, where there are also innate differences between males and females in cognitive and behavioral patterns," Rosenfeld said.

"Whether there are comparable health threats to humans remains unclear, but there clearly must be a concern."

The US Food and Drug Administration has noted "some concern" with BPA, an industrial chemical that has been widely used in packaging since the 1960s, and is studying the risks of exposure, the regulatory agency said in January 2010.

The European Union and Canada have banned the use of BPA in baby bottles. However, there is no scientific consensus on the dangers BPA poses, the study said.
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bpa-makes-m...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Kind of makes you want to change your eating habits
    All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Last Online
    Monday, August 13th, 2012 @ 07:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic-American
    Ancestry
    Swiss/Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Arizona Arizona
    Occupation
    Tech Support
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fortunately, I am able to eat mostly fresh foods these days, although I do have a pretty large stockpile of canned foods at home. If I ever have the need to get into those supplies the potential side effects of BPA will be the least of my problems

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    That is good I thought it was a funny article hehe!
    All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Norse
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    "Whether there are comparable health threats to humans remains unclear, but there clearly must be a concern."
    I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot but it's better to be safe than sorry. Fortunately I don't eat a lot of canned food, only occasional fruit.

The male mice who were exposed to BPA showed less ability to navigate a maze safely. This skill -- useful in the search for potential mating partners -- is well developed only in male mice, since females do not seek out mates.
    This is a mouse-only ability that is impaired and I'm sure, unless I'm missing something , has no human equivalent.

When scientists observed how fertile females regarded the BPA males compared to the unexposed males, they found females preferred the chemical-free males by a factor of two to one.
    The same with this: This doesn't have an obvious human equivalent unless women secretly smell me in order to find out if they are attracted to me (pheromones?).

"These findings presumably have broad implications to other species, including humans, where there are also innate differences between males and females in cognitive and behavioral patterns," Rosenfeld said.
    Wow, I am actually surprised to see this in writing. This is the first time I've seen a scientist(?) say that there are different cognitive and behavioral patterns between the sexes. I'm so used to cultural Marxist 'science.'

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I wonder if canned food is the reason for so many Homosexuals!

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    I'm not a particularly skilled or patient cook, so most of the days we're talking of eating pasta, toasties, scrambled eggs or something to do with potatoes, but for the most part I can - luckily - stay away from canned food; most canned food tastes horribly and here is also relatively expensive, so the only canned food I eat with any type of regularity is Ravioli.

Quote Originally Posted by Autosomal Viking View Post
    This is a mouse-only ability that is impaired and I'm sure, unless I'm missing something , has no human equivalent.
    If a piece of red thread counts, then yes, there is a human equivalent of navigating a maze which resulted in the hero in question finding a potential mate (afore Dionysos stole her from him, that is).
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    The canned goods I usually eat are mais corn, mushroom, baby mais corn and beans in tomato sauce. I hope they dont use BPA here, usually Norwegian government is pretty strict on this stuff. They should ban this BPA chemical in all food products.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    The canned goods I usually eat are mais corn, mushroom, baby mais corn and beans in tomato sauce. I hope they dont use BPA here, usually Norwegian government is pretty strict on this stuff. They should ban this BPA chemical in all food products.
    Banning is a step forward, however the industry has a way to find loopholes. Most of the stuff that has the "organic" label here is about as organic as a rubber tyre.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    That is because the consumers want cheap food, not good food.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    That is because the consumers want cheap food, not good food.
    Alas. As if they had a bit of mind, they'd know that relying chiefly on quality food perhaps even organic, then farmers and the industry would be more prone to follow suit in all that, and the good food would inherently become cheaper as well.

So yes, for the time even I'm treading a thin line. I try to check where I get my stuff from, but with my limited funds as student without part-time job it sometimes means I can't go for the really good stuff; do make a point though of which goods I buy the cheap alternative of and which goods I buy the quality product of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast