Dir. of Rehab Services/ SLP
    Religion
    heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bunch of My Own Recipes

tyle Pretzels (Lauge Brezel -- lye-pretzel)
    This is basically the same thing you can get in any bakery in Germany. This is based on translations from the German and tested over several months. The addition of the malt was a German innovation, not mine. The lye bath is traditional.

To make this you NEED'Silpat'! These pretzels will stick to almost anything; maybe not a non-stick cookie sheet but I'm guessing it could do some real damage to the surface of it. This recipe calls for a lye-water bath. Use Red Devil Lye only. You can get food-grade lye from amazon; that's where I got mine.

1 tssp. dried yeast
    1/4 cp. tepid water
    1 T dried malt extract

Stir together and set aside to proof.

In a bowl, mix in
    1 cp. warm water
    1 T dried malt extract
    1 1/2 tssp. salt

Stir all. Then add the proofed yeast.

Stir in
    1/4 cp. whole wheat flour

Start adding flour and keep stirring and adding flour until the dough is stiff enough to start kneading.

Knead dough and add flour as needed. Knead till smooth.

Cover and let rest for 20 min.

Cut into 8 pieces. Roll each into ropes of 20". Let rest for 20 min.

In the meanwhile, in a pan put 1/2 gallon of cold water and 1 T. of Red Devil Lye. Heat water up to a simmer. The lye water will look like it's 'smoking.'

After the 20 min. shape the pretzels (google it up), dip each in the lye-water for 30 sec. and set on the silpat on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 min.

Take out and and cool on rack.
    ________________________________________ ___________________________________

Ok. Tomaetssuppe
    This is how it was made amongst us. The recipe isn't exact but it is based off 3 qts. of broth (don't care what kind).
    After this, Campbell's really sucks the big one.

Tomato Soup

(Tomaetssuppe)

1/4 onion, minced

Fry in 3-4 T fat (I love bacon fat, but lard, shortening or oil wil do)

Cook til glassy. Add enough flour to soak up all grease and cook for more the one minute.

Add 3 qt. broth and use whisk liberally.

Add 1/2 can tomato paste and then whisk again.

Add 1 T vinegar

Add to taste:
    salt, pepper, white pepper, cayenne, parsley

Boil til thickened.

(You can add leftover rice at this point, too! If you want.)

Serve up in bowls with paper-thin slices of lemon. Crumbled old pretzels are great in it (Think: old Michigander's 'comfort food')

Ich hab Eich gsaat ass ich 's Tomaetssuppe-broblem fixe wa,
    unn so doh iss 'de Soluschun fer's Broblem!'

lewwe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder,
    bil

________________________________________ _____________________________________

Horseradish (Meerreddich)
    Grew up on so-called 'hot roast beef sandwiches' which in my day was horsemeat roasted to a faretheewell thrown on top of a slice of white or rye bread, covered with gravy and slathered with horseradish. A Monday workday lunch since Sunday was the roast.

Horsemeat's become a problem since we can't get it anymore. Horseradish has become a problem since all they have out here is 'cream-style' aka 'wussy-horseradish.' (I hate that sh*t.)

OK.
    Here is Deitsche Meerreddich aus Michigan.

If you are male, do not make this in the presence of any female, including grandmothers. It is more acceptable to sh*t die Hosse

'Make on a windy day, ferschur.'

1 horseradish root
    2 turnips
    1 Tbsp powdered mustard
    1 1/2 tssp salt
    jug of vinegar

Either put on goggles or work outside. This sh*t hurts and can lead to projectile bleeding out the eyes. Honestly, if you never stabbed yourself in the eye with a Lego dipped in jalepeno juice, do so now; this is the traditional minor prelude to what comes next -- tradition is everything, ya know.

Take my bleeding eyes' word for it: work in either high winds or a bathtub full of Visine.

Peel the root (not bad yet) and chop into small pieces
    Peel the turnip and do the same
    Throw salt into a blender
    Add vinegar til to the top of the mixture; then the dry mustard.

Puree.

A friendly reminder: Do not be in the vicinity when this goes off, we'll repair the apparent damage later. It's best to let the air clear. Projectile bleeding out the eyes leaves a bad and lasting impression.

Take, non-chalantly, the mess out to a high wind area, act like you know what you are doing, and shovel the snow white epitome of toxic edibles into spent salsa jars. Grab the O2 and head to higher ground.

Under no circumstances inhale the room air until 6 complete exchanges under negative room pressure have been completed.

Tja. After that the jarred stuff is fine.

lewwe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder schi,
    bil

Quoted from "SpiderFox"
    I wondered what dandelion leaves tasted like...unfortunately most of them here grow in herbicide or fertilizer=soaked lawns, so I never dared to try them.

Dandelions were imported to the USA as a salad herb, medicine, and for wine making. My ma would collect up a mess of the leaves before the plant flowered, wilt them with hot bacon grease and serve them up as a fresh spring salad. Often the leaves were wilted with sourdock, violet leave, and nettles.

My cousin's pap always brewed up dandelion wine.

bil
    Älseß style mustard
    I was making some this evening and happened to think maybe someone else wanted to try it.
    Growing up where and when I did, I love mustard. When I was about 7, I liked to pull up a green onion or two and chop them up. Spread mustard on 2 slices of rye bread, sprinkle the onion in there, and then chow down. Braunschweiger or Lewwewascht sandwiches, mustard and bologna, mustard on Knackwascht, Brodwascht, hotdogs, Kielbasa, or in potato salad, deviled eggs, or just a plain ol' mustard sandwich.

I sent 2 jars of this to the Hamburgerschtammdisch and Günna told me it was all gone in one sitting. He also told me that he's never heard of homemade mustard. I told him if he lived in NE NM he'd find a lot of things made by hand. He came, he saw, he about shit himself.

This mustard is not like the sweet Bavarian style nor is it the spicy Dijon -- it's somewhere in the middle: not terribly sour nor terribly sweet. Fun to make, though.

This takes 4 hrs. to make. Most of the time you can spend posting here.

Bil Linzie's Mustard (cc) <---(which means you're free to steal the recipe--just leave my name on it)

2/3 cp. white mustard seed (or 'mustard seed')
    1/2 cp. powdered yellow mustard
    1 cp. cold water

Put it all in a medium sized glass or steel bowl.

In 2 qt. sauce pan (or any pan a bit smaller than the bowl) do

2 cp. cider vinegar
    1 med. onion, finely minced
    4 toes of garlic, finely minced
    4 T brown sugar
    2 tssp. salt
    1 tssp. cinnamon
    1/2 tssp. ea. of allspice, dill, tarragon

Bring all to a boil, stir and turn off the stove.

Save out about a T of horseradish (not the creamy sauce shit like you see at Arby's but the real GA horseradish -- it should look like white applesauce in a jar.)

Let the mustard soak ca. 3 hrs. (no less). Do your email, read AL, have a quickie, and 2 beers.

The 3 hr. Dinger goes off and here is the alchemy of the whole thing. You'll need focused attention for 15-30 min. Think of it as a Zen exercise.

Make a Bain Marie in this way.
    1) Pour the vinegar mixture into the bowl with the mustard that's been soaking. Stir it up really good. No slacking.
    2) Rinse the vinegar-pan out well and then put in about 1/2 water.
    3) Take the bowl with the mixed vinegar mixture/ mustard and stick it on top of the sauce-pan with water. This is known as a bain marie and it also means that at 7000 ft. above sea level, the temperature at the bottom of the bowl can go no higher than 180°. Mustard will burn really fast on direct heat.
    4) Stir with a whisk until the mustard thickens to a creamy, tomato-paste consistency.
    5) Pour into old salsa jars (should fill about 2 1/2 jars.

Now, this mustard will thicken over time (it last 2 yrs. that I know of if kept in the fridge). If you need to you can thin it with water or vinegar and it'll be fine -- not too much though

Fiel Gschpass dermit,
    Let me know if you need a recipe for ketchup

bil

my favorite chile
    Suey Ying Yee was a good friend of mine who ran a chinese place (go figure). She was ambitious and from California, and she decided all at once to go and learn mexican cooking under a chef in CA which lasted around 6 mos. Thereafter, she opened the Bandito in Deadwood, SD.

The food was adequate. My mom-in-law at the time was Mexicana from Mexico City and was an excellent cook. Competition was high, but the Bandito produced absolutely the finest chile ever. Once, I asked how they made it, but they told me 'it's nothing but chile and beef!' The bastards -- they have to be lying.

After years of futzing around with 'it's nothing but chile and beef' I came up with the following recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 cp. chile
    1 1/2 cp. water
    1 lb. good chuck
    lard or bacon grease enough to fry meat
    salt (to taste)
    Chedder cheese
    raw onion

Cut meat into thumbnail sized pieces and lightly (meaning barely) brown.
    Throw into pot.
    Toss in chile and water.
    Boil at low for 45 min. - an hour.

Cool chile-meat sludge 24 hrs. in a fridge.

Reheat, smashing meat along the way.

Serve with shredded chedder and raw onion.

Now, I believe, our ( Del Valle) cooking is the best in world. True. But, this chile (which is not OUR idea of 'chile') surpasses all. Suey Ying did not lie or hide the truth. Puro chile y Carne. Solamente un poquito sal, queso y cebolla son los ingredientes.

The secret to tenderizing the beef is the 24 hr. refrigeration.

Looking at the technique -- this is most likely Aztec or Anasazi rather than Mexican or New Mexican which tend to add garlic, cumin and oregano.

It's the simplest recipe and one of the best that I know.

bil

________________________________________ _____________________________________hee mgemachte Sauergraut
    (BL - this is GA idiom into Englisch idiom. No offense intended, but if you're GA take up your heritage! Make 'Saurgraat' (formerly known as 'Freedom Cabbage' during the Wilson regime).

Der Doug ferzaehlt all hier uff Deitsch-Amerigaanisch.

Here's the translation. I'm not sure about his measurements for the salt though and plan to look it up. It doesn't sound quite right, but maybe it is.

NOTE: looked it up and the measurements are correct.

**************************************** *************************************

"Well, it's Fall. There's so much to do in the Fall. We've got to rake up all the leaves and get the house ready for Winter and yet one more important thing: make sauerkraut!

"Every year my family makes sauerkraut. We grow the cabbage in our garden and then in either October or late September it's time to make sauerkraut.

"This year I wasn't at (my) home (in order) to help my wife's family make their home sauerkraut. Last Sunday was Sauerkraut-Day for the Rote Family.

"To make sauerkraut, you just need a few things: a couple heads of cabbage, salt and a cabbage slicer (kraut slicer). It's easy!

"First, make sure your cabbage is clean, free from dirt or worms. Then you have to slice the cabbage in the cabbage-slicer. So don't do it too forcefully, though; you could lose a finger! For every 5 pounds of cabbage, you have to put in 3 tablespoonsful of salt; then, you have to stir it all together. (For that) we use a large wooden spoon (stick).

"After we've cut up all the cabbage and added the right amount of salt, it's time to cover it. Normally, we just use cabbage leaves to cover it (some, like my Grememm, us a plate with a brick or rock to hold the plate down -- BL). The you just have to wait! We (usually) let it ferment for about 6 wks. When the sauerkraut is finished, my family usually puts it up in quart jars, but my wife's family just puts it in ziplock bags and sticks it in the deep-freezer.

"I really like sauerkraut. You like it? (For me) it's an old tradition and it thrills me that it still lives on in my family."

**************************************** *************************************

Don't know about you but I'll try it.

Proper GA-Palatinate way of cooking sauerkraut is to heat it up with a bit of water added. When hot, add a glob of butter and a few caraway seeds.

My Ma always cooked pork-chops, potatoes, and apples in the sauerkraut; or a small handful of raisins (think sweet-and-sour).

Sauerkraut is the 'true finish' for 'grobe Brodwascht,' ie 'coarse-ground bratwurst.'

Sell iss all fer heit!
    Muss saawe ass mei Saurdeich Schdarder duht gut (hab schunt 12 Leibe gemacht un alle waare klasse!)

bil

________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Heese Grummbeere Sellaat
    Hot German Potato Salad
    Honestly, I don't know why it's called 'salad' since it's not. Sell iss was sie imme alde Land gheest iss so weet ich wees.

My mom, who, traditionally, was a sh*tty cook by us GAs made this well and made it often. Back in those days we could actually buy it canned but I haven't seen it in years. Here's a homemade version based on what I remember the taste being and also based on some recipes I found. This is mine, though; not a stolen recipe.

######################################## #####################

2 med. waxy potatoes, peeled, halved, and cut into 1/4" slices
    2 slices of bacon, minced
    1/8 onion, minced
    flour enough to sprinkle potatoes and soak up grease
    1/4 cp. red wine vinegar
    1/4 cp. water or chicken broth
    salt, pepper, tarragon to taste

######################################## #####################
    Cast iron skillet. Toss in the bacon and cook on med-low til crisp. Toss in sliced potatoes, put a lid over it, and cook 15 min @ med-low.

Flip potatoes and toss in onions -- 10 min.

Sprinkle on flour enough to soak up grease and cook @ least 1 min. (3 is better)

Pour in water/ broth and vinegar. Fit with a tight lid and cook on low for 15-20 mins.

Throw in salt, pepper, tarragon, stir and cover for 10 minutes more.

It's done then.

However, one or two feine Bratwurst (feini Broodwascht), they are generally pre-cooked, can be tossed on top to warm and burst.

Comfort food. Sour potatoes in a creamy gravy. Memories of home. (I make 'em 1x per wk.)

bil

________________________________________ _____________________________________Rog gebrot (Roohyebrot)
    In the process of making a 'light' rye bread.

Start:
    1/2 cp. rye meal
    1 cp. unbleached wheat flour
    1/2 cp. starter
    2 cp. tepid water

Leave set for 24 hr.

2 tbs. caraway seed
    1 tbs. poppy seed
    1 tbs. salt
    2 cp. unbleached flour

Mix in flour until it no longer sticks to the breadboard.

Fold 2x

Start oven at 475. Spray oven with H20. Bake at 450 on a pizza-stone for 40 min.

Use H20 or raw flour w/ H20 as a finish on loaf.

Let cool on oven rack. Leave set for 24 hr. before slicing.

Dernooch macht en groos Semmitch mit Limbariyer Kees, heesi Peffer, Olives, un Zwiwwele abbadich mit Budder un Moschdert uffme Brot am Aafangs. 'S schtinkt so ferdammt guut.

bil
    coffee soup and the real sandwich
    Vumme Ernest Waldo Bechtel: "Mei Marriye-esse waar immi Kaffi Suhp," hawwich gsaat. Du nimmscht en Paar Schticker Brot un verroppscht sie -- nooch duscht die Brocke imme Bowl, duscht Kaffi un Zucker neischidde. Riehscht alles gut rum bischt reddi fer esse. Ich hab awwe als Raahm odde Millich dazu.

From E. Bechtel: "My morning meal was always 'coffee-soup.' You take a couple of pieces of bread and rip them up. after that, you throw the pieces into a bowl and dump coffee and sugar on it. You stir it all up really good and can add cream or milk to it.

Sis yuscht ee Ding ass ich mache kann ass ich selwert esse kann mit Abbedit un sell iss en Sandwich gemacht wie des. Limbaeryer Kaes, heese Peffer, Olives, un Zwiwwele, wennich Ketschup odde Budder uff yeder Schtick Brot. Des iss wass ich en Sendwitsch hees mit Graeftde.

There's only one thing that I can make myself when I'm hungry and that's a sandwich like this. Limburger cheese, hot peppers, olives and raw onions -- a bit of ketchup or butter on each piece of bread. Now, that's a sandwich with some snap!

Actually, I just ate the sandwich and it rocks. Haven't tried the coffee-soup yet. Sounds OK though.

Limburger cheese is especially good for guys whose wives are going through menopause -- take my word for it. The sandwich works miracles. My dad dealt with it; Ernest Bechtel obviously dealt with it, and, I feel greatly relieved to have discovered this beauty of a sandwich.

bil

Real bread
    Here's a recipe for rustic loaves like you can get at the Whole Foods bakery. The recipe is for 7000' alt. -- adjust for your area.
    (Here's the 'poolish')
    2 cps. unbleached flour
    1/4 cp. rye meal
    1/4 cp. whole wheat
    2 cps. tepid water
    1/2 cp. sourdough starter

Mix all and leave set out, covered, at room temp for 24 hrs.
    After 24 hrs. stir the poolish.

2 cps. unbleached flour
    1 & 1/2 tspn. salt

Add in salt and stir. Mix in 1 & 3/4 cps. of the flour

Take ball of dough and place in greased bowl for 20 min. -- covered.

Turning dough.
    After 20 min. throw dough onto a floured breadboard (use flour from the leftover 1/4 cp.). Oil up hands. Spread dough like a pizza. Then, fold the right side in, flatten; the left side, flatten; the top side, flatten; the bottom side, flatten. Turn the dough upside down and fold in half. Place in greased bowl for 20 min, covered.

2nd Turn
    After 20 min. Turn dough again.

After 20 min., take dough and shape into either a boule or batard. Another nice shape is to make a boule and place it on a pie-pan. Cover dough with the greased bowl for 30 min.

After 30 min., start the oven at 475. Also, remove bowl from dough and cover the dough with a cloth impregnated with flour (I use an old flour sack). Let oven and dough set for 30 min.

After 30 min., slash dough with a end-to-end slash for a batard or a cross for the boule. Sprinkle dough with any remaining flour (makes a nice finish).

Reset temp to 450 F. Place dough on a pizza stone (or a cookie sheet -- stone is best). Spray oven with H2O until the top of the dough glistens. Close oven. The temp will drop to 375 or so, but ignore it. Set timer for 40 min.

After 5 min., spray oven again.

After 40 min. turn off oven and open the oven door. When the bread is cool enough to handle with bare hands, pick it up and set it on a wire rack or a towel. Let the bread sit for 12 hrs. before cutting it. Unlike yeast bread, sourdough should 'tighten' before it is sliced. If sliced earlier, you risk destroying the complex texture of the entire loaf.

After 12 hrs., put bread in a plastic bag to keep. Don't refrigerate. Should last 8-10 days like this.

Joh, Schbass dermit,
    lewwe woohl un iss Brod mit de Gedder,
    bil
    Heuvos con calabacitas
    Another new recipe
    While the ingredients are typical NMexican, the dish is unusual. Turns out to be fairly light -- probably good for a brunch.

1 med green zucchini, cubed
    5 green onions, chopped
    1 1/2 cps fresh corn cut from the cob
    6 crimini or baby portabella mushrooms chopped
    1 red bell peppers, chopped
    2 tssp. minced garlic
    salt
    juice from 1/2 lime
    cooking oil
    eggs
    corn tortillas
    fresh roasted green chili chopped

Burner on med -> med-hi. In a large cast iron skillet, put a small amount of oil, then throw in the garlic and onions for 45 sec.; then throw in the red bell pepper. Cook about 60 sec. then toss in zucchini, corn and mushrooms. Salt to taste. Turn burner down and cover pan.

In another skillet heat up 4-6 tortillas until very soft. Wrap in a towel then set aside. Put oil into the skillet and fry up eggs by cracking into the pan, break the yolk and fry them to be the size of the tortillas.

Stir the zucchini every once in a while to prevent burning.

Before frying the last egg, turn the burner for the zucchini up to high, remove lid, and throw in the lime juice -- fry on high to evaporate the water. Fry the last egg.

To build the plate: first the tortilla, then an egg, then calabacitas, top with fresh roasted chopped green chili.

2 Variations:
    1) same recipe, add 1/2 cp pinones (pignoles -- pine nuts)
    2) Fry 2 slices of thick bacon in the skillet until crisp. Cook the vegetables as above. When adding the lime juice, crumble the bacon and add it too.

bil
    ________________________________________ _____________________________________cho kecherry BBQ sauce
    ChokeCherry BBQ Sauce

Just made this up.
    6 cps. chokecherry juice (like for jelly)
    1.5 cps. coffee
    1.5 cps Worcestershire Sauce
    1.5 cps. ketchup
    6 chiles anchos cut up fine
    1.5 tssps allspice
    3 tssps. salt
    1 tssp. black pepper
    1.5 cps brown sugar
    1.5 to 2.0 cps white sugar
    2 Tbspns. mustard seed
    2 Tbspns. Poppy seed

Fry minced onion until caramelized. Toss in rest of ingredients and cook til a thick syrup. The stuff is killer.

bil
    ________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Leek and white chedder soup
    A recipe I made up today as I was going through the grocery store:

3 leeks (throw the green out)
    1 box of chicken broth (32 oz.)
    7 oz. of shredded white chedder or shredded gorganzola cheese
    3 T of white flour
    olive oil
    pepper (2 pinches)
    tarragon (1 pinch)

In a skillet heat up 2 T of olive oil.
    Clean the leeks (chop off the green and throw it away). Get the sand out. Slice thinly.
    Measure 3 T of olive oil into the soup pot and heat up.
    Put sliced up leeks into the skillet and stir.
    Put flour into soup pot, and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes -- don't let it darken.
    Stir leeks again.
    Pour 32 oz. of chicken broth into soup pot and stir.
    Add pepper and tarragon to soup pot, and stir.
    Add cheese to soup pot, and stir.
    Add now browning leek slices, and stir.
    Bring to a slow boil, and stir.
    Serve in clean bowls. Best with Bratwurst and hard rolls on the side. And, uffkors, Bier. (from experience, uffkors).

bil
    Sourdough, anyone?
    One thing I've noted in Germany is that 'I can't pay anyone to be stupid enough to go out and find a loaf of Wonder(what's in it)bread. One becomes spoiled quickly with Germany and Denmark's (I assume the rest of Skandinavien as well) varieties of bread. The Danes at the Heathen SummerCamp provided everyone with homemade sourdough bread, either Rye or wheat (which the kids seemed to like) with a texture of damp drywall (sheetrock). I had trouble with that, though. They had a large variety of other breads and rolls, and pizza which rocked, though. Other things in Denmark I could get used to beer, cheese, licorice laced vodka, version Doener (I can't recall the name), horsemeat (which I've always liked having grown up on it), etc., but the 'common bread' threw me.

But the breads of Germany . . . we've nothing like it here. Artisan bread comes close but not quite. The secret to the wonderful European breads alongside which Wonderbread tastes like a Hostess Twinkie is sourdough. There were a couple of breads like Sonnenblumenbrot, which is really both healthy and ancient, is a favorite of my roomate there, but a little too heavy for me (plus it'll cause farting if you eat too much -- but then everything in Germany does that). Normally, German breads are hearty, dense, and really chewy, and have a far better shelf life than ours. The flour is also less refined (go for stoneground meals here in the USA -- get it bulk at WholeFoods).

Now I've puzzled about this for 2-3 years and 2 wks. back I ran across the secret to powerful homemade sourdough starter --- simplicity itself, and, of course, done up by my favorite folks -- us GAs (well, originally, Germans).

________________________________________ __________________________
    Easy -- takes 10 days -- sourdough starter

This stuff will lift fairly heavy loaves.

1 cp rye meal (stoneground)
    1 cp really warm water out of the sink

1) Mix together in a Tupperware bowl (or something like it). and set in a warm spot (next to the wood stove, in a sunlit windowsill, on top of a heat register, etc. Stir it after 24 hr. (will be pretty sour), and set it back for another 24.

2) Throw away half. Then add 1/2 cp white (or whole wheat) flour and 1/2 cp warm water. Set in warm spot for 24 hours. Stir. If real sour, throw away half, add 1/2 cp white flour and 1/2 cp really warm water.

2) If it's not so sour, throw in 1/2 cp rye flour and 1/2 cp really warm water.

Repeat 2 and 3 over the course of 8-10 days and by that time you'll have a strong sourdough starter.

It's the micro-organisms in the rye that get it going.

Bauernbrot

1000 g of flour (rye wholemeal)
    400 g of flour (whole wheat)
    900 ml of water, lukewarm
    2-4 tablespoons sourdough (Staerter)
    30 g salt
    Flour for the tin

Preparation
    For the yeast is on the eve of 400g Rogenvollkornmehl, 400 ml of lukewarm water and 2 tablespoons of starter leaven recognized, stops overnight.
    The next morning, the leaven with the remaining ingredients, mix the dough and knead well for at least 10 minutes. The dough is now a 15-minute rest.
    After the dough is gone and shows a good relaxation, it is divided into two halves. Shape the two parts of equal-sized loaves of bread and place on a floured tray. In the middle of the bread you can now make one longitudinal section.
    The loaves must now rest for another 20 minutes.
    The oven should now be preheated to 250-300 ° C. Pour some water into the oven (in a pan) and allow to evaporate after 3 minutes.

The breads are baked at 220 ° - 250 ° C completed approximately 45-50 minutes.
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Resting time: approximately 12 hours
    Difficulty: Normal

Fiel Gschpass dermit,
    bil
    ________________________________________ ______________________________________
    potato pancakes
    Grummbeerepannekuche

Sometimes called 'Kartoffelpuffe'

There's a lot of different recipes for this. I'm living alone so this is for 1 person.

1 big potato
    1 egg
    1 Tb. Flour
    1-2 Tb. minced onion
    salt and pepper

Peel and then grate the potato. Throw into a bowl with cold water.
    Separate the egg. Leave the yolk in the shell but throw the white into a bowl. Whisk up the white into a good froth.
    Throw the potato into a strainer and squeeze all the liquid out.
    Put the potato, minced onion, flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Add the yolk and stir up.
    Stir in the egg white froth.

Divide up into thirds. Fry in i/2" grease (lard rocks!) til golden-dark brown on both sides; serve hot!

(Scrapple along with it doesn't suck!)

bil
    Spaetzle aus NM
    Make a normal Spaetzle then stir fry it with butter, parmesan, and chiles (either caribe or green). My favorite is green, of course, but today I only had caribe.

Spaetzle:

1 cp. water
    1 egg
    sprinkle salt
    2 1/2 cp. flour

Get a pan of water with a tablespoon salt in it to boiling.

Mix together. Grease the breadboard. Slop a couple spoonfuls onto the breadboard.

Chop off pieces of dough with the backside of a breadknife into the water. The pieces should be 1" x 1/4" big. Cook them ( the 'little sparrows') in the salt water til they all float.
    Throw them in a strainer and splash cold water on them.

Meanwhile, heat up a skillet with 1/4 stick butter. When hot enough, toss in the Spaetzle. Toss parmesan to taste. Then finish off with chiles; the NM version is 'slam it on,' or if you're Texan . . . . a teensy bit at a time

bil
    ++_+_+_+__+_+_+_+__+_+_+_+_+__+_+_+_+_+_ _+_+_+_+_+_++__+_++_+_+_+_+_+_++__+__

Lebkuchen; Hunnichkuche -- Gliehwoi
    Here's a couple from Das Deutsch-Amerikanische Kochbuch, Illustriert. I've had to translate weights and some ingredients (since we don't use potassium carbonate for cooking anymore)

The are my two favorite things from Jul:

Hunnichkuche (Lebkuchen)

3/4 cp. flour
    8 oz. honey
    1 T. of mixed cinnamon and cloves
    zest or grated peel from 1 orange
    1 tssp. ginger
    1 1/2 tssp. baking soda

egg whipped with a 1/4 cp. milk added for the glaze
    sliced almonds

Mix all the dry ingredients and the orange peel. Warm the honey and stir it in. Knead into a stiff dough. (Use a bit of water if the honey is not enough.) Wrap stiff dough in a plastic wrap and set in a cool place overnight.

Next day, flour the breadboard and kned the dough til soft. Roll dough out to 1/4" - 1/2" and cut into large rectangles (to fill a baking sheet) or into traditional 10" hearts. Place on buttered steel baking sheets. Glaze with the egg milk mixture, sprinkle with the sliced almonds and then bake at 350 for 20-28 min. When done the cake will spring back when poked lightly with a finger.

Gliehwoi (Gluehwein)

1 bottle of red wine
    1/2 cp minus 1 T. of white sugar
    the thin pared rind of a whole lemon
    a stick of broken up cinnamon
    6 whole cloves

Put half the wine and everything else into a pan. Bring the mixture up to barely simmering and leave at that temp for 20 min. Pour in the rest of the wine, bringing it up to simmer and strain immediately into ceramic coffee cups. Figure 2-3 cups per adult.

Best drunk outside around a fire. There's something terribly cozy about standing around the Gluehweinbude beim Grischtkindelmarkt where it is cold outside but warm in the belly. Great for conversation!

lewwe woohl un faahr sicher mit de Gedder am Jul!
    bil
    __+_+_+_+_+__+_++_+_+_+_+_+_+__+_+_+_+_+ _+_+__+_+_+_+_+_+_+_++_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
    ash cakes
    Sort of a southwest USA thing (Navajo and good!!).

You need white wood ashes from 'juniper.' ( Yes, from the fire--goddamm--place!!!]

1/2 cp. juniper ashes (yep ...straight from the stove or fireplace)
    1 1/2 cp whole wheat flour (you can stick in corn meal for the last 1/2 cp. -- we used ½ cp blue corn meal --- kinda a local thing , , , )
    2 teas. salt
    water (enough to make a dough)

Knead lightly.

Make into balls @ 1½" dia. (about 5, it seems)
    Flatten out to ½" thick.
    Then deep-fry.

(Drain onto yesterday's newspaper before you toss it into the stove.)

You can sprinkle sugar or cinnamon and sugar for the kids --- the rest is for the adults.

This stuff is good!!! Yeah!! Navajos have it goiiiinnnggggg oooonnnnn!!! Uh, ooops, sorry. . . . . Uh, it's really good, in my mind.

leewe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder,
    bil
    +_+_+_+__+_+_+_+_+_+__+_+_+_+_+_+_+_++_+ _+_+_+_+_++_+__++_+_+_+_+_+__+_+_+_+
    wild pigeons
    from Steiger's GA Cookbook

Wild pigeons

2 portions
    Clean 2 pigeons, rub them with salt and wrap them with bacon slices; in 1 Tbs butter, fry them until light brown. Pour in 2 Tbs of cream (not on the birds) and then roast them for approx. 1 hr. Serve them with crushed fruit or a green salad.

One can also marinade the birds overnight in 1 cup wine, a bit of vinegar, 1 bay leaf, some onion slices and lemon zest. Cranberry sauce is a good accompaniment to all roasted birds.

freeliche Weihnachte
    heeliye Yul

lewwe woohl ub faahr mit de Gedder ski,
    bil
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Esse fer NeiYaahr
    Here is something I make almost every year for Sylvesterowwet (New Year's Eve)

2 15 oz. cans of blackeyed peas
    1 15 oz. can of black beans (frijoles negros)
    4 med. tomatoes (minced)
    2 good hot jalepenyos (deseeded)
    1/4 onion (any kind -- minced)
    1/2 handful cilantro (minced)
    juice of 1 lime
    1 Tbspn minced garlic
    3 Tbspn olive oil

Strain off all the beans (saving juice from blask eyed peas in a cup) and rinse them in warm water; throw them in a bowl. Toss in tomatoes, jalapenyo, onion and cilantro. Stir to mix well. In a small coffee cup mix oil, lime juice, garlic and 1/4 cp. of the black eyed pea juice and stir with a whisk. Toss this 'dressing' onto the bowl of beans and stir. Let sit in a cool place for 24 hrs. stirring every 3-4 hrs. to keep mixed.

Here we call it Salsa de Frijoles and generally eat it with tostaditas (fried corn tortilla chips). Some of the imported Anglos call it 'Texas Caviar.' (Whatever. It is certainly better than caviar (when you're hungry.)

Posole is our traditional meal (I think of it as New Mexico-German)

4 lbs of nixtal (pozol) -- 64 oz. of yellow corn hominy is the same thing, basically
    16 oz. chopped green chile
    1-1 1/2 chopped yellow onion
    2 pounds of good pork chopped in 1 inch cubes
    salt (to taste)
    1-2 tsspn. oregano
    1 Tbspn garlic chopped

Take the meat and throw in a pressure cooker for 45 min. @ 15 lbs. or cook overnight in a crockpot on high. Throw everything in a large pot and cook for 4 hrs. If you are using precooked hominy, throw in the corn for only the last hour or so.

Breakfast is generally menudo (por la cruda -- for the 'hangover')

2 lbs. of beef tripe (menudo de la vaca) cut into 1 inch cubes
    4 lbs of nixtal (pozol) -- 64 oz. of yellow corn hominy is the same thing, basically
    1-1 1/2 chopped yellow onion
    1 cp. ground red chiles
    salt (to taste)
    1 Tbspn chopped garlic

Boil everything except the corn for 2.5-3.0 hrs. Add in corn and cook til tender.

Traditionally, here, menudo is served in a wide bowl and topped with the juice from 2-3 lemon slices, a bit of oregano, a touch of salsa, and 2 Tbspns. chopped fresh onion.

Its really one of the best foods ever --- completely underrated, even in New Mexico (by the Anglos)!

lewwe woohl un hawwe en schee Rutsch ins NeiYaahr mit de Gedder (un Foreldre),
    bil
    ________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Sandia Ice
    Sandia Ice

1/2 watermelon (la sandia)
    10 Tbs. sugar
    7 Tbs. lemon juice

Take the pink of the watermelon and run it through the blender, then through a sieve to get out the seed shrapnel.

Dump into a bowl: add sugar and lemon juice.

Put the bowl in the freezer and stir every 1/2 hr.

After about 4 hrs. or so (depending on the freezer) should be the conistency of slushy snow. Let sit in the freezer overnight then without stirring.

Pretty good on a summer day. makes about 6 cps. or there about.

Seid wohl und eßt mit den Göttern,
    bil

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 10:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Prussian
    Subrace
    Faelid/Batlid
    Country
    United States United States
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lard Cake, for when you're hungry but don't want to think about anything.

Personally I just kind of came up with this, and the ingrediants can be changed to suit your personal taste, I don't even measure, I just throw it in until I get a decent mix.

2ish Cups of Flour
    1ish cup of milk
    Chunk of lard (About as big as a cell phone)
    Same amount of sugar
    Spoonfull of Vanilla Extract
    an Egg
    Spoonfull of salt

Mix it all in one big bowl until there are no more chunk, add milk as necessary to thin.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until done.

Top with almost anything in your fridge. You can add the sugar to make it a desert, or add less sugar to make it more of a meal food, and then add ham and cheese and such in the center before baking to make it heartier.

As you can guess I don't really cook, I just throw stuff in until I feel that it will be edible!

This really should be called "The Poor Man's Lunch", as it can be anything.
    Ein Kampf, Ein Sieg! Fur Prussia!