Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Children's Cartoon My Little Pony is "Racist," "Sexist" and "Homophobic"

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 09:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    New Zealand European
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish, Icelandic, Scandinavian, Irish
    Subrace
    Hallstatt Keltic Nordid
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Elvish monarch
    Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Thumbs Down Children's Cartoon My Little Pony is "Racist," "Sexist" and "Homophobic"

In case you missed out, it’s My Little Pony week on the Ms. blog!
    Having been thoroughly indoctrinated as a child to love ponies–and My Little Pony in particular–much of my understandings of femininity and heteronormativity come directly from my childhood interactions with cartoon ponies. (Diary excerpt: “I love wearing heels, it makes me feel like a pony!”) Looking back on TV shows like My Little Pony and Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders–shows in which the powerful female figure was demonized as evil and the main character was always blond and blue-eyed–made me think, “Wow, the old days were so sexist and racist and heteronormative–thank goodness kids shows aren’t like that anymore!”
    But alas, I spoke too soon.

Recently, I was fact-checking a Ms. Blog post regarding the sexed-up makeover of various children’s toys–in this case, the hallowed My Little Pony franchise from Hasbro–which led me to their website and an introduction to the latest Little Pony TV show.

I was immediately concerned that the only pony that looked slightly angry or tomboyish was the rainbow pony. Since there’s a false stereotype that all feminists are angry, tomboyish lesbians, it was disconcerting to think that a kid’s TV show would uphold this. I watched the video clip and, indeed, the rainbow pony stands out as having a perpetually maniacal expression while the others are cute and cuddly.

According to the "meet the ponies" page, which invites viewers to click on a pony to learn about each of their distinct personalities, “Rainbow Dash” is “capable and athletic,” “lives for adventure,” “brave and bold” and proves “time and time again that she is a true hero!” This positive portrayal made me wonder if perhaps the company was not providing a caricature but allowing for a positive account of gender-bending, and so I asked for a second opinion.

I showed the video to fellow Ms. intern/blogger Kyle and asked, “What’s wrong with this picture?” he responded, “There aren’t any black ponies. Why aren’t there any brothas on the wall?" I had originally assumed that the purple ponies were supposed to represent black ponies, but he was right–the ponies don’t seem very racially diverse.

But then we noticed that there were, indeed, black ponies:

Yes–the only black ponies in the TV show My Little Pony are slave ponies to the white pony overlord! How can we expect kids to grow up rejecting racism when they watch shows like this?

This cheerful description of an authority figure specifically ordering a pony to stop studying so that she can make friends reminds me of the infamous Barbie quote–”Math class is tough.” Ponyville seems to be a culture that dismisses girls who prefer reading books to playing dress-up and looking beautiful (and sparkling, of course).
    So overall, these are the lessons My Little Pony teaches girls:

Magical white ponies are suited for leadership; black ponies are suited to be servants.
    Stop learning! You will overcome any obstacle by resorting to strength in numbers (of friends).
    Girls that wear rainbows are butch.
    You need the government (ideally a monarch invested with supreme ultimate power and a phallic symbol strapped to her forehead) to tell you what to do with your life.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010...-shaming-pony/

This is so weird

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This is a case of applying cultural Marxism of the last twenty years and symbolic assumption to a children's show that is otherwise perfectly healthy and teaches normal values. Her definitions of not being racist, sexist, and homophobic is to completely surrender to cultural Marxist thought, never ever using symbols that could suggest certain tradition connotations. She wants everything backwards in order to be politically correct: girls are boys, white is bad, gay is normal.

What person objectively thinks that gender bending, homosexuality, and negative or diminutive portrayal of one's own people in a children's cartoon is actually healthier to children than traditional values? This cultural Marxist tool wants to poison the minds of the young for her (probably conditioned) political agenda.

To top it off, skin color is not race, pony color is not skin color but fur color, and pony color is not race. The color black typically has negative connotations and isn't always a reference to Africans. Not everything has to be so sensitive to some people's bubbles of reality and rightfully shouldn't.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 05:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles / Germany / Netherlands / Norway / France
    Subrace
    Borreby/CM
    Country
    United States United States
    Happily Married w/kids
    Occupation
    Professional
    Politics
    My own
    Religion
    Agnostic with Pagan leanings
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosomal Viking View Post
    This is a case of applying cultural Marxism of the last twenty years and symbolic assumption to a children's show that is otherwise perfectly healthy and teaches normal values. Her definitions of not being racist, sexist, and homophobic is to completely surrender to cultural Marxist thought, never ever using symbols that could suggest certain tradition connotations. She wants everything backwards in order to be politically correct: girls are boys, white is bad, gay is normal.

What person objectively thinks that gender bending, homosexuality, and negative or diminutive portrayal of one's own people in a children's cartoon is actually healthier to children than traditional values? This cultural Marxist tool wants to poison the minds of the young for her (probably conditioned) political agenda.

To top it off, skin color is not race, pony color is not skin color but fur color, and pony color is not race. The color black typically has negative connotations and isn't always a reference to Africans. Not everything has to be so sensitive to some people's bubbles of reality and rightfully shouldn't.
    I see what you mean. I gotta admit though that the black slave ponies to their white pony overlords could be taken wrong if you're looking at it symbolically.

Overall though? Eh. It's just a freaking CARTOON! PC crap has everyone's panties in a wad. It bugs me a lot when I see how things get so carried away.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English-American
    Ancestry
    English/England
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    How do you even come up with that crap???

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Germany, Netherlands
    Subrace
    Germanic
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Limburg (NL) Limburg (NL)
    Married
    Occupation
    Knowledge management consultant
    Politics
    The Northern Path
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My Little Pony racist, sexist and homophobic?

It's a cartoon!!!

Who gives a rats ass whether the 'evil pony' has colors or not? People who worry about crap like that should be kicked in the groin.

This politically correct BS is growing into a totally weird monstrosity. On the other hand, maybe this is a good thing. It just might wake people up to the insanity that they propagate.

Honor and defend the northern people,
    Honor and defend the northern lands,
    Walk the Northern Path,
    Sigr!

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

-In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    This happened to be my favorite show as a child. It is a fantastic show for children to show them manners, and how to cope with certain situations. In fact, there is a lesson in each little story. The colours of the ponies teach each other how to share, how to resolve conflicts, and how to use manners. The of the ponies have no bearing on children's experience of and reality. They are colours from the rainbow, not meant to be secret symbolism for segregation.

I remember having a favorite pony based on the color and symbol that it bore, but it was not influencial to my views on society.

This woman is looking for non existent conflict, and seems to be full of misconceptions about a simple, harmless child's cartoon. It is saddening that this woman has to falsify this wonderful cartoon.
    All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    256 Posts

Time for revenge!

Datter av Norge
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post

Time for revenge!
    Nice.
    All things must come to the soul from it's roots, from where it is planted. The that is beside the running water is fresher, and gives more fruit.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Haplogroups: mtDNA: H, Y-DNA: I
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    State
    Jutland Jutland
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Darwinian Naturalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is AWESOME!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast