Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Try to See the Good Character in Everyone, That There is Something Good About Everyone (Morally)?

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    I think whether or not someone has "an ounce of good in them" is utterly irrelevant when administering justice. Punishment is also not the issue, it is judgment. A bleeding heart who thinks the 1% of good in that serial killer outweighs the 90% good of his dead victims is unfit to judge, unfit to sit on a jury, unfit to be a public servant, and unfit to vote. It is not up to us to judge his level of "goodness," but to do what is best for society.

For serious offenses, the accused should get the fairest trial he can get, then, if found guilty, taken out back and shot immediately. The example of Charles Manson is perfectly apt here. Life in prison serves no purpose whatsoever, and costs the public dearly. Furthermore, if someone is innocent and wrongly convicted, what's worse.. to spend the rest of your life in some hellhole or a quick death? I'd take a bullet to the brain, honestly, and anyone who would feel at home living amongst the scumbags in prison deserves the bullet.

Last Online
    Friday, April 6th, 2012 @ 01:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norse-Gaelic
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Engineer
    Politics
    Solar Hieromonarchy
    Religion
    Hristos, Hermes, Wotan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Everyone is redeemable, simply because any sin one could possibly commit is as nothing in comparison to the Absolute. That said, this isn't an argument against capital punishment. The error seems to be in the rather sentimental belief that one cannot kill someone without hating them, which is silly.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, June 29th, 2012 @ 07:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany/British Isles/Frisia
    Country
    State
    Florida Florida
    Youth
    Politics
    undecided
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For me, everybody is born spotless. What life throws at you leaves stains and marks all over you inside, and you will begin to act according to how tainted and abused you have become. I believe that nasty people and misanthropes are just men and women who have been mistreated by others. But it takes a strong character to rise above it and carry yourself with dignity and benevolence, which may cleanse you of all the darkness and hate in the end.
    So I suppose I do try to see the good in people most times, or at least the good which once was and which has the potential to shine through again.

Last Online
    Thursday, October 4th, 2018 @ 06:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Alemannisch
    Subrace
    Schwäbisch
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ælfrun View Post
    I am all for Capital Punishment! Also, I do not see the good in everyone. Some people are pure evil and disguting.
    I think slavery is a much more desirable punishment than capital punishment. make them do the mining and logging and other jobs that kill men at horrible rates.
    Apfelstrudel mit Vanillesoße, yeah I said it, what are you gonna do?

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 19th, 2019 @ 08:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English/Irish, German, French, Norwegian/Scandi
    Country
    England England
    State
    Sussex Sussex
    Married
    Occupation
    IT guy
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I do try to see the good in everyone. If someone is rude or off with me on occasion, or loses their temper, I don't judge them on that; everyone has a bad day.

That's a bit different from trying to see the good in someone who, for example, stands by passively while their partner beats their child so often and so badly that it eventually dies, or someone who becomes a serial killer, or someone who rapes women...you get the gist. for me the question is not "can I see any good in them" but "Is there any point in me looking for the good in them?" Sure, they might give to charity and be kind to fluffy kittens but there comes a point where the scales are so far tipped in the direction of "evil bastard" that you might as well give up on them. Why waste valuable resources trying to rehabilitate them?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raudskegg For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    In this sense, actions do speak louder than words.

I think it's wise to become a good judge of moral character, without becoming judgmental in a petty sense. And I never judge someone by the opinion of others.

While I refuse to allow others to drag me down to a level I find unacceptable, I can still treat others fairly, considering their conduct is not downright vile, of course.

I'm also willing to overlook a certain amount of disrespectful conduct from others. But once I've been figuratively stabbed in the back by someone I trust, forget it. From that point on, I no longer even think of the one who betrayed me as a fellow human being, regardless of how "good" others think they are.

I do believe that, ultimately, it is only the Good Lord who can rightfully judge us.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,373 Posts
    Nope.

I did that as a small girl ... everything was like pink paradise (thank's to my parents & upbringing).

But as I grew up ... I noticed that there are lots of killings, terror attacks, wars etc. sufferings done by humans to another humans. Nope. Now I think evilness is just as much part of humaneness as goodness. No matter do they like that matter or not. It has always been so.

So I keep my eyes open ... and beforehand .... I don't try to see goodness or evilness on person ... but yes ... I often make my opinion quite quickly. As they says: Humans tends to make first impression of another person in 20 seconds ... and after that? It takes lots of time and efforts to change that ''image''.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12