Ethnicity
    Norwegian, Scottish
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hmm, interesting and thank you for the time.

I'd differ on some of it, but it it appears that people are skiddish about discussion and debate (correct me if I am wrong; though I can certainly appreciate the hesitancy given what I am sure is a history of flame wars).

My point had to do with the historical Jesus being a corroborated fact (that being a completely separate issue than the claims of a divine Jesus).

Though agreed on the root myths and the monolatry.

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 12:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    for me as a heathen that is not really a question, it does not matter to me.

What matters is the impact history of christianity.

I am done with christianity, I only study it to free myself further from the programming I got. I am working now on christian moral and ethic. The ethics of a german warrior are very distinct from a christian, not to talk about a Bersekr or Ulfhedin.

The switch from love-everybody to my personal freedoms and strength is taking more speed and that it good.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Prussian
    Subrace
    Faelid/Batlid
    Country
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Personally, I view it like this, do you remember in lord of the Rings they referred to the third age as "The Day of Man"? I think that "Seven Days" means "Seven Ages", and "Days" was mistranslated and placed there instead. As such, the order of the events int he beginning of the Bible makes sense. Overall though, I believe that there is a lot of human error in there, the Bible is man's written interpretation of the word of God, not his word directly.
    Ein Kampf, Ein Sieg! Fur Prussia!

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:15 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German, Danish, English
    Country
    State
    Florida Florida
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Diver
    Politics
    Libertarian/Anarchicst
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It now seems apparent to me that the old testament borrowed heavily from the Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh. I feel to some degree Christianity was used by Rome to pacify the Germanic and Celtic tribes. I am a bit curious to know more about the Aryan Christianity the Vandals practiced prior to them having been defeated by the Romans.

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Buy the book '101 myth of the bible' by Greenberg. may cost you 10 bucks but there is a lot explained and shown.

You will understand that I do not rewrite the book here.

As Christianity is not my subject (only in a negative way) and you are interested as a christian (?) in it you might prefer other sources.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 13th, 2017 @ 06:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian, Scottish
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocko View Post
    Buy the book '101 myth of the bible' by Greenberg. may cost you 10 bucks but there is a lot explained and shown.

You will understand that I do not rewrite the book here.

As Christianity is not my subject (only in a negative way) and you are interested as a christian (?) in it you might prefer other sources.
    Yeah, I have a pile... at least a hundred books on religion (not even exaggerating...). I did my undergraduate in theology and medieval European history, along with working professionally in the field, etc, etc, ad nauseam. So it is all on my interest table.

Don't confuse personal views though with professional ones: I find Christianity (along with various other world religions) to be incredibly fascinating as a means of understanding the geo-political landscape, ethics, etc (not to say it begins and ends with the Bible: rather, Western thought has been embossed with Judeo-Christian ethics and it's worthwhile to understand and learn them to deal with others).

At any rate, right now I am plowing through 40 pages a day of this book. Good read, not sure if it's fact or fiction but it's fun.

I am familiar with a lot of the critique on the Bible, Gilgamesh, etc. I have not read Greenberg (not that I can recall), but I am sure I have hit a lot of his arguments recycled by now (perusing the website you linked confirmed this, though some of it looked different).

A lot of the Bible has been corroborated, even in the past 10-50 years. But at the same time, we also have new questions raised by things like Gilgamesh, etc. Cuts both ways I suppose.

More Questions

In any event, I think the popular image of 'pagans' or 'heathens' are the baby boomers in ponchos and ponytails beating a drum in a field, singing hippy anti-vietnam war songs (not meant as a political commentary...).

Germanic paganism/heathenry seems (at least as I begin to learn more: please correct me if I am wrong) to be very different in culture. While the translated politics may run the full spectrum, it seems inherently conservative and hence quite contrary to the 'new age' types.

How do you all view the 'new age' movement and the more 'druidic' types? Colleagues? Cousins? Breed apart? Weirdo-wannabes?

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    New agers are love-everything-and-all. There is no distinction between anything, everything is the same and connected and so on.

They want love and peace all over the planet.

As a heathen I have another focus: I want to connect to my own indigeneous culture and use it to develope in the right direction and live a full life with meaning. I believe that it provides a superior way of living and connection to the Gods for germanic people.

My understanding is also political-religious as the way of life of ancient germanic people did not have a division between mundane and divine. But it is tribal in nature, not global. We do not force our way of life on other nations or cultures.

I don't mind hippies drumming in a field. Drumming is not bad.

I learned a lot from Guido von List and his view on heathenism, I also study shamanism from other cultures and see similarities and also read the books from modern heathen about their ideas. After all heathenism is no fixed canon of how it has to be. I see it more that heathens should have their own personal relationship with a heathen God and live themselves deeper and deeper into it.

So more I read and think about my chosen God Odin so more I understand and so better I can emulate his archetypes. He is a God I grow with. The archetypes are mostly warrior, shaman, seeker, leader, lover, creator. The wisdoms he had were magical knowledge and I see myself seeking it.

Heathenism is not one thing fits all, it really depends which God/Goddess you choose and what you are looking for.

there is no salvation, there is no sin, there is no guilt. There is though a strife to be in a right relationship with the whole world, that means it is a constant look for the right thing. And the right thing involves the whole range of actions and behaviours of humans.

Jesus-people look only for the 'good' part of human behaviour and fight the bad, we as heathen employ the good and the bad, that is our chosen path. A good example of that is Goethe's Faust, a character who seeks magical knowledge and employs the devil himself to teach him (there is a prologue in heaven between God and the devil, like in the book of Job, there is a wager, for the english speaking people there is a lot in Shakespeare too). Btw, we don't have a devil in our system the dichotomy of good versus evil does not exist for us, it is a struggle for survival and dominance in ones own areas and defence against attack of other beings. It is not the Asa who wage war but they do fiercly defend themselves.

Most heathen are community types. I differ in that (most shamans in other cultures keep themselves apart). So there is a lot of social life. heathen consider themselves as clan-member and there is of course mutual assistance but most do not really need one.

Druids are celtic. They are cousins. I think the revival of the Druids started with William Blake. I studied him and he is a sage, he knew quite something, was able to see 'angles' and other beings. I do not know modern Druids I assume they do not have the close connection to their Gods but this is just an assumption as I donot know what they really do. What the public writes about them has no meaning for me, as we all know that agenda.

Druids or celts have a pretty similar set of Gods though the lore is different in many aspects (as well as similarities).

I think heathen focus more on religious/philosophical knowledge than druids who focus more on magical knowledge. (both employ both; it just is a different focus)

But that is just my opinion, others most likely see it differently.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

To the best of my knowledge this is one of the best sources for systematically viewing and examining the contradictions of the Bible.

A very informative read that you probably will not find in a theology textbook or a popular book on religion.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...ml#good_to_all

...And found another one. I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but that should be enough to get you going.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 13th, 2017 @ 06:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian, Scottish
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Sindig: I'll give it a read this week (or if it's long, at least a start).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast