Right
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olav View Post
    Well, I guess myself and over half of the Scottish population are not true Scots then. Pity.
    Everyone in Scotland has Celtic blood. Stop trying to fit into a culture or rape the culture you are from. It is not cool. Why can't you be proud of Celtic culture? It has just the same amount of things to be proud of as does German culture. I am wondering if you only know half the stuff about the clans as you say you do. But, everyone has their own opinion.

Last Online
    Saturday, April 8th, 2017 @ 09:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BjornSwede View Post
    Everyone in Scotland has Celtic blood.
    Everyone is quite a broad term. Scotland is a mixed nation of Germanics / Celts. Just like our brother country to the south; England.
    Many families are still purely Germanic. While up in the Highlands, many are pure celts.
    Stop trying to fit into a culture or rape the culture you are from. It is not cool.
    Trying? I don't have to try to fit into anything that I rightfully belong to.

Why can't you be proud of Celtic culture?
    Well, here's an obvious reason.. I'm Germanic.

I am wondering if you only know half the stuff about the clans as you say you do. But, everyone has their own opinion.
    Don't get me started, bud.

Should you feel like replying at all, do so here: http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=40754&page=55. As we're off topic.

Last Online
    Saturday, February 4th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Celto-Frisian-Norman-Saxon
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Self-employed
    Politics
    Neo-libertarian
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahem

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfylleth View Post
    When they moved to Scotland and Ireland, they became more Gaelic than the Gaels.
    I joined just to object to this statement, and maybe a couple of others...

Seriously, that's silly.

If you want to talk about Germanic Scots, then talk about Lowlanders and Border Reivers. Gaelic-speaking, tartan kilt-wearing Catholic Highlanders have their own culture, and it most definately isn't Germanic.

Again, and even more strenuously I have to object to this statement...Clan Campbell, Highlanders, are definitely NOT Catholic!!!!!! Anymore than Northern Ireland is Catholic! (I'm speaking traditionally here) Grrrrrr.

No doubt you are proud of your Scottish heritage and that's fine. There are plenty of Celtic sites out there where you can discuss Scottish culture. But the idea of a Germanic Scottish clan is an oxymoron. Where are the tartan-clad clans of Scandanavia, or Germany, or England? Where are the kilt-wearing Lowlanders?

Culturally speaking you may have a point, but having just joined here, I notice plenty of Scandinavian, Frisian, Anglo-Saxon, and Swiss (even!), cultural and art on this site.

Am I missing something when I read the breadcrumbs?
    Skadi Forum > > Scotland > Germanic Scottish Clans

Scotland forum? At worst, the thread is devoted to Scotland, no?

Being a Campbell I feel also I must address this issue as Clan Campbell traces it's origin to Irish Kings *AND* the Flemish House d'Enghein in the Netherlands (or was it Belgium?)... Are Franco-Frisians not Germanic? Last I understood both were Germanic in origin.

In addition, genetically speaking they embody, probably more than any other Clan (with the possible exception of Clan Galloway), the gallowglass (Irish:Foreign Gaels).... Norse-Gaels that originated in Viking colonies of Ireland and Scotland... Are Norsemen not Germanic now? To this day Western Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Isles in between, along with some of the northern coastal regions can all find Germanic origins in their blood... IF you go back far enough the Celts and Slavs linguistically melt into the Germanic peoples IIRC...

And at this point I'd like to note that the Chinese Tarim Basin caucasian mummies (2000BC) were wearing plaid hard to distinguish from modern tartans...

Last point, proto-Celtic culture originated in Hallstatt, Austria which spread as far north as the Main River in Bavaria. Is Bavaria not Germanic?

Where were the Germanic kilt-wearers? Apparently still catching up from China....

You may think this is a bit of a rant, and for that I appologise. But as an English nationalist it really irritates me when people try to steal my cultural heritage and pass it off as their own. It's hard enough getting recognition for English culture as it is, without having what we do have spread out between all of Western Europe.
    You mean like Brits passing themselves off as Germans? And while denying the same privilege to others?

If my response puts you off for that I apologize, but as one having Germanic DNA in my veins also, I'm hoping you can make the distinction with me between culture and blood.

I believe this thread was more about DNA connections than cultural ones...

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 06:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To the person who said that Ulters Scots are Gaelic... I was under the impression that Ulster Scots were mostly Low land Scots and English. Instead of Irish or Catholic Scot. Would that not make them more Germanic?

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefo View Post
    To the person who said that Ulters Scots are Gaelic... I was under the impression that Ulster Scots were mostly Low land Scots and English. Instead of Irish or Catholic Scot. Would that not make them more Germanic?
    If somebody called the Ulster Scots gaelic, they were incorrect. As you said, the Ulster Scots are descended from Low-land Scots and English from the English/ Scottish border. Many of them raided the entire border country without regard to their victims' nationality (hence the name Border Reivers).

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Erm, Olav, you missed out the Young Clan. Our Clan originated in either Sweden or Norway (can't trace that far back), and were first recorded in Dingwall, a Viking settlement. The Youngs were Vikings, that much I know.
    A lot of people think the Youngs were an English clan. That's partially true. The Young clan has been all over the UK (again, name tracing).
    My heritage in Germanic/Celtic (my Gran's clan originated in Donegal, Ireland. They were the infamous McGowans).

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's been added .

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giselli View Post
    anyone know anything about Hager/Haggers out of Scotland? I know the barbarian 'hager the horrible' jokes already...
    I know a bit about them off the top of my head. They originated in Perthshire and have been seated in Scotland even before the Norman conquest of 1066. With saying that, it’s probably safe to assume by their location that they descended from a group of Picts. The last bit of information I know off the top of my head is that there are many, many more spelling variations of the name. We can thank the illiteracy rate of the past for all the different spelling variations that we have today . Some names include; Haggard, Hagger, Hagar, Hagerd, Haggart and Hagarity. Some of which are actually "Irish Clans".

Upon doing some quick research, I found they're a sept of Clan Ross and Clan MacNab. Both are Highland Clans, so it's probably safe to say that they both have major Celtic influences. Other than that, I couldn’t find much.

Last Online
    Monday, April 9th, 2012 @ 04:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Norway England Germany Scotland
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Married
    Occupation
    Education
    Politics
    Democrat
    Religion
    Northern Heathen/Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clan Lindsay

Lindsey is a place name. There is still a district in SE England called this. The SE of England was settled by the Angles. At one time their kingdom spread from SE England to SE Scotland. The traditional lands of clan Lindsay are in SE Scotland. Lindisfarne, which means island of the travelers from Lindsey, indicates that the clan did get around. Anyway, I think Clan Lindsay should be included on your list as a Germanic Scottish clan of Angle origin specifically.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyfivekids View Post
    Lindsey is a place name. There is still a district in SE England called this. The SE of England was settled by the Angles. At one time their kingdom spread from SE England to SE Scotland. The traditional lands of clan Lindsay are in SE Scotland. Lindisfarne, which means island of the travelers from Lindsey, indicates that the clan did get around. Anyway, I think Clan Lindsay should be included on your list as a Germanic Scottish clan of Angle origin specifically.
    It's been added .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast