View Poll Results: What is your Sun sign?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aries

3 4.23%
  • Taurus

8 11.27%
  • Gemini

9 12.68%
  • Cancer

6 8.45%
  • Leo

3 4.23%
  • Virgo

4 5.63%
  • Libra

8 11.27%
  • Scorpio

12 16.90%
  • Sagittarius

2 2.82%
  • Capricorn

6 8.45%
  • Aquarius

6 8.45%
  • Pisces

4 5.63%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Zodiac Sign?

Last Online
    Sunday, June 13th, 2010 @ 07:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Taurus Positive Traits

Reliable with lots of patience
    Extremely kind and loving
    Strong determination
    Very security minded

Taurus Negative Traits

Prone to jealousy
    Can be Resentful and Rigid
    Greed and self indulgence issues

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Why astrology sometimes works and often doesn't

I am a Leo, born on August 10, and the Leo traits fit me like a custom-made leotard. I have a good friend, also ostensibly a Leo , born on August 18. who is the antithesis of the Leo traits, his sign ought, were there such a thing, to be the sheep.

The explanation, IMNSHO, is that one of the fundamental assumptions of astrology is false. The time and place of BIRTH are utterly irrelevant. Any influence upon the neonate which could operate at the instant of birth could as well operate in utero. Genetically, the die was cast long before birth, namely, at conception.

It is in the genetic card-shuffle of conception that the "nature" part of nature vs nurture was established. Much of a person's destiny was established as the genes were linking up to form the DNA of the new individual. Electric, magnetic, and gravitational fields, cosmic radiation, and other factors can influence the structure of the newly-forming DNA. This is when significant mutations are most likely to occur.

It is likely that all of these factors vary cyclically and that the cycles are of varying length. It is what was going on in the universe at the time of conception which is relevant, not what happened at the time of birth, except for gross congenital damage.

Apparently, similar, but not identical, conditions recur at about the same times annually. This is the only reason that Astrology works at all, because, conception usually occurs about 9 months before birth.

This suggests, of course, that the horoscopes and the astrologically predicted traits of prematurely born infants should be wildly wrong and closer to those for an infant born nine months after the "preemie's" estimated date of conception.

This is something which can and should be studied . However, even if the period of gestation be normal, it is quite possible that the conditions which existed in, say, December, 1929, may not match exactly those in December, 1942, so that men born in August, 1930 and August, 1943 might have been conceived under very different conditions.

Last Online
    Monday, March 2nd, 2009 @ 10:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Norwegian (37.5%),German (18.75%),Danish (12.5%),Finnish (12.5%),Swiss (12.5%),Scotch-Irish (6.25%)
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid/Nordid
    Country
    State
    North Dakota North Dakota
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's Your Sun Sign?

I thought it would be fun to see what eveyone's sun signs are, and also to see what people here think of astrology: Do you believe there is a grain of truth in it? Do you think it's fun but don't believe it has any value beyond being entertaining? Or, is it so ridiculous that you can't tolerate the mention of it?

I personally am amused by it; and although I don't pay much mind to daily horoscopes, I would recommend to anyone who enjoys such things to get a copy of their birth chart. You need to know the exact time of day and place that you were born in order to make one, but if you can scrounge up those details, you can get a much more elaborate description that incorporates major signs besides just your sun sign like the moon and ascendant signs. Here's a site that will generate a free chart for anyone who is interested:

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?r...gw&lang=e&cid=

For anyone who does not already know their sun sign, here's a list of all twelve of them and their respectful dates.

Aries (Mar 21- Apr 19)
    Taurus (Apr 20- May 20)
    Gemini (May 21- June 20)
    Cancer (June 21- July 22)
    Leo (July 23- Aug 22)
    Virgo (Aug 23- Sep 22)
    Libra (Sep 23- Oct 22)
    Scorpio (Oct 23- Nov 21)
    Sagittarius (Nov 22- Dec 21)
    Capricorn (Dec 22- Jan 19)
    Aquarius (Jan 20- Feb 18)
    Pisces (Feb 19- Mar 20)

I'm an Aquarius, and although I haven't invested any belief into Astrology, I definitely find it entertaining. I have to admit though, a lot of my natal chart fits me pretty well.

(After starting this thread, I can see that a poll like this one has been made before. It looks like it's been dead for nearly five years though, so I'm hoping this can remain open.)

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dćg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Name:  astro.gif
Views: 28
Size:  26.3 KB

I'm a typical Piscean.
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

"I are Leo. I are big cat!"

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Sunday, February 13th, 2011 @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    South & West Germany/Switzerland + Moravia, Sweden, Scotland
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Virgo here, and the associated traits fit me well. Perfectionistic, methodical, and orderly to the point of OCD.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Scorpio

Associated traits:

* Intense

* Powerful, tough

* Determined, tenacious and persevering. Ambitious.

* Willful

* Highly emotional and sensitive

* Appearing cool and calm, but seething underneath

* Imaginative and intuitive

* Secretive

* Deep, profound

* Tending to be revengeful (if hurt) , unforgiving, can become the most loyal friend or the most treacherous enemy

* Proud

* Loyal and devotional

* Extreme and all-out fanatically focused

* Passionate

* Mysterious, magnetically attractive and exciting

* Deeply resentful, brooding and potentially destructive

* Strong critical perception and analytical ability

* Controlling / Manipulative

* Serious but quite charming to people they like, and when social events call for it

* Reserved and withdrawn

* Dignified

99% of these traits fit me quite well.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Why is your sign significant ?

I am a Leo (August 10, 1930, the Year of the Horse) I have most of the Leo personality traits very strongly developed. On the other hand, I have never found any of my horoscopes to bear any resemblance to the actual events in the periods of time they cover.
    I have long been convinced that the time of birth is irrelevant. The critical time in reproduction is not birth but conception. It is hard to conceive of any influences which could act upon the neonate but not upon the fetus in utero.
    And what influences could act upon either ? The gravitational and magnetic fields of the Moon and planets and any radiation emitted by, e.g. Jupiter are virtually undetectable upon Earth. Cosmic radiation is influenced by the solar and terrestrial magnetic fields which vary, probably cyclically. This, and the fields themselves could exert subtle influences, but when and upon what ?
    The time when significant effects might arise from radiation and magnetic fields is the time of conception. It is then, during the genetic "card shuffle", events taking place at the molecular level, that determine the genetic makeup of the human body to come. This delicate molecular process could be influenced by magnetic fields and radiation.
    What, then, have the planets to do with it ? Only this: they serve as time markers,
    indicating precisely where in the magnetic and cosmic ray cycles the critical linkages between amino acid molecules were established, i.e. precisely what the intensity and directions of the magnetic field vectors were and the intensity and kind of cosmic radiation present.
    Conception is the critical time when the genetic makeup of every cell in the resulting human body is determined . The only way in which birth effects the body is by possible congenital injury or disease, and to these, the time of birth is irrelevant.
    Of course, the magnetic fields and the cosmic ray flux vary not only with time, but also from place to place upon the Earth. Hence, the place of conception may well be as significant as the time. Modern astrology does take account of the place of birth, but, by then, the physiological development of the infant has long since been determined.
    It would appear that for astrology to work at all, it would have to be because the period of gestation is fairly uniform and many infants are born not far from where they were conceived. Many, but surely not all. I know of no studies of whether prematurely born infants show as adults traits inappropriate to their astrological sign.
    The time and place of birth are easily established. The time and place of conception are usually much harder to determine. Doubtless, this is why astrology has relied on birth data rather than those of conception.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I used to be quite obsessed with astrology and had my chart read a number of times. I find much of it to be uncannily accurate. I am a Cancer and find most everything defining Cancer to be true about myself. Below are some key Cancerian traits:

• Cancer is all about home. Those born under this sign are 'roots' kinds of people and take great pleasure in the comforts of home and family. They are maternal, domestic and love to nurture others. More than likely, their family will be large, too. Cancers will certainly be merry if their home life is serene and harmonious. Traditions are upheld with great zest in a Cancer's household, since these folks prize family history and love communal activities.

• Cancerians are old-fashioned. They have a tendency to live in the past and hold past events close to them. Cancers can be quite intrigued by objects a with history attached to them — antiques, photos, souvenirs, and the like.

• Cancers are usually conservative. They also tend to be patriotic, waving the flag whenever possible.

• Cancers have a deep need to be secure and safe in most everything they do. Trust is very important to them and they are very aware of their environment and surroundings. Sun in Cancer natives have a strong survival instinct. They are protective of those they care about, and of themselves too. Most Cancers form shells around themselves and react by retreating into their shell and shutting others out when they are hurt or feel uncomfortable. They love to nurture themselves with food.

• Cancerians are highly emotional. Because of their sensitivity, they are extremely intuitive and compassionate. They can also be touchy, clingy and possessive, but once given the support and attention they need, they will offer you their undying loyalty and love.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I'm a very typical libra. Traits usually associated with Libra:

Diplomatic / compromising, however possibly manipulative - That definitely IS me 100%. I place much importance on diplomacy and mediation yet some sometimes conceive it to not be entirely selfless. I also oft suggest a compromise.

Cooperative - For a Bajuvarian yes, for the rest of the world No.

Fair / balanced / impartial - I am, even though some seem to think otherwise. I ALWAYS have to act as a mediator with my friends.

Idealistic (in relationships) - Yes, I believe in the good in my fellow man as well as women. A little naive when it comes to people's motives.

Charming - I may lack many qualities, but I definitely have a fair deal of charisma.

Sociable and easy-going, love having people around them.- That's me.

Indecisive / changeable --- Oh, I'm afraid that's also me. Put me in a bakery or a pub and I'll change my mind as I go along in ordering. I'm even having trouble to decide which toilet paper I should buy.

Peace loving - "Can't we just all get along?" ... Yes that line sounds familiar when looking into the mirror.

Elegant / graceful - Yes, I do have a way with words and a certain composure which I tend to uphold. Some tend to think it makes me arrogant and snubby. I'd prefer to call it "eloquency" though.

Refined / artistic / good taste - Of course.

Pleasure oriented - I love beer, cheese and women. Guilty, I suppose.

Gentle - Pssht, that was supposed to be a secret.

Sensitive to others - One thing I hate about me is that I do care what people think of me. I wished criticism against my very person'd leave me cold, but I usually take things well to personal.

Analytical,clear-minded and logical, however still manages to be gullible and influenceable, naive. - Hits the nail on the head.

Very Romantic, strongly interested in the opposite sex. - Oh Rly? Jo Frly! ... I'm afraid that's me again.

Cheerful - I can be very fussy, but I always see the humour in a situation. Hard to keep me upset for a long time. I suppose I could break and arm and see the positive in it. Unbroken optimism, usually cracking jokes at the most inappropriate moments even. Yup, that'sa me, Sigurd.

Flirty / frivolous - Meee? Never ... Yes, I suppose I actually am the worst flirt there can be. And just because I'm flirting, don't mean I'm interested - I just enjoy flirting a little. Nothing wrong with a bit of cheekiness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libra_(astrology)

Gets even worse in the likes/dislikes points. And well ... countries associated with Libra does mention Austria.

Either way, typical Libra here.

EDIT: Addendum, it gets even worse when getting to other details. Libra is a cardinal sign ---

According to astrology, Libra individuals (associated with the element of Air) tend to express their authoritative Cardinal Quality in a subtle and charming fashion --- me again!
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast