View Poll Results: What is your Sun sign?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aries

3 4.23%
  • Taurus

8 11.27%
  • Gemini

9 12.68%
  • Cancer

6 8.45%
  • Leo

3 4.23%
  • Virgo

4 5.63%
  • Libra

8 11.27%
  • Scorpio

12 16.90%
  • Sagittarius

2 2.82%
  • Capricorn

6 8.45%
  • Aquarius

6 8.45%
  • Pisces

4 5.63%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Zodiac Sign?

Last Online
    Thursday, August 20th, 2009 @ 01:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Uralic/Alpine/Pontid mixed
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: What's Your Sign?

Quote Originally Posted by AWAR
    Does anyone have an idea who/when/where the western Horoscope was invented?
    http://www.ihr-buch.de/english/astrology.html

The Origins of Astrology

There is no written record of the beginnings of astrology, but it is believed to have originated in Mesopotamia, now Iraq, around the fourth millennium BC.

Whether or not the civilizations of that time influenced one another is unknown. We do know, however, that the observation of the heavens played an important role in all the highly developed civilizations of the early Stone Age and was usually entrusted to the privileged caste, usually priests.

This caste had the responsibility of using their observations of the heavens to forecast important events and decide on the most propitious time for such vital activities as sowing and harvesting. In the course of time, methods of predicting what the future held for people and nation, especially for the rulers, were developed. These predictions were probably undertaken in China and Egypt during the third millennium B.C. as well as in Mesopotamia.

The first written proof of the use of astrology dates from the seventh century B.C. and was found in the Assyrian king Ashurbanipal's (688-626 B.C.) library. It consists of a collection of clay tablets including nearly seventy on which predictions based on observation of the heavens had been written. These predictions dealt with matters affecting the entire country and it's rulers and not individuals, such as war and peace, drought and floods, plagues and famines. The source used for the predictions was the "Enuma Anu Enlil", which is generally dated at 1000 B.C. and believed based on even older documents.

The oldest personal horoscope known to us date from 409 B.C.. We also know that Mesopotamian astrology spread to Persia, India, China and Greece in the sixth century B.C. and that the Greek and Mesopotamian astrologers of the fifth century B.C. communicated closely with one another.

The modern method of dividing the zodiac into twelve equal parts of thirty degrees each dates from this period. Greek doctors of the time used astrology for diagnosis and therapy purposes and Greek philosophers developed it further. Astrology flourished during the Hellenistic period from the third century B.C. to the third century A.D. and was the basis of a uniquely comprehensive conception of the world. Astrology had lost it's elitist aura by this time and schools for the study of astrology were founded. The earliest such school that we know of was founded in 270 B.C. by the Babylonian Bal priest Berossos on the Greek island of Kos. The most famous of these schools was in Alexandria, where Ptolemy wrote one of the most important astrological works of all time, the "Tetrabiblos". The geocentric concept of the world was named after him and lasted a millennium and a half.

Eastern slaves spread astrology throughout the Roman Empire in a form closer to necromancy than to serious astrology. This took such extreme forms that astrologers were banned both from Rome and from all Italy in an edict of 139 B.C.. Astrology returned to educated Roman circles in the first century B.C. thanks to the persuasive research on the influence of the stars on climate and people undertaken by the Syrian stoic Poseidonios. With sole exception of Trajan, all the Roman emperors believed in astrology. Ptolemy took the view that the stars were influential but not determining, in contrast to Syrian and Persian astrologers at the Byzantine court after the fall of the western Roman Empire who were convinced that the stars predetermined every feature of human life. The Christian church opposed this determinism of astrology with the freedom of the will.

Islamic culture absorbed astrologers as part of the Greek heritage and developed highly complex methods of interpretation and calculation. Famous schools, the most important in Baghdad, were maintained for the training of astrologers. European astrology flourished briefly in Charlemangne's Europe only to be forgotten again.

Astrology schools returned to the scene in the 13th century Byzantine Empire and spread to Europe. In the late Middle Ages, chairs of astrology existed at universities of Paris, Padua, Bologna, Florence and Oxford, among others. Members of both the spiritual and the temporal Renaissance aristocracy were believers in astrology, including Popes. The Copernican revolution of the 16th century replaced the geocentric world view with the heliocentric. Many famous learned men took up practical astrology in the 16th and 17th century, among them Copernicus, de Braha, Galilei and Kepler. Kepler's famous horoscope cast for Wallenstein, the Catholic general of the Thirty Years War, proved amazingly accurate.

The Age of Reason rejected everything not rationally explicable and scientifically provable, including astrology. Astrology was equated with the occult, black magic and alchemy. Attempts were made, not always successfully, to make all of them laughable. This did not deter many great minds of the time, such as the famous German author Goethe, from believing there might be something in astrology. Goethe himself, for example, prefaced his own autobiography with his horoscope.

Materialistic thinking and the intellectual precision of the new sciences displaced astrology in the universities. The last university chair in the subject lasted until 1817 in Würzburg. Only in Britain did scholars continue to support astrology.

The re-birth of astrology in Holland, France and then in Germany began with the writings of Alan Leo (1860-1917). New and improved methods of interpretation and forecasting were worked out with the help of old manuscripts. Research and development in biology, genetics, astrophysics and psychology cast new light on this ancient science.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 14th, 2004 @ 05:59 AM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    n/a
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a Cancer. But, I'm not much into astrology so I don't really know what cancer means (I know it's not the disease, you wisenheimers ).
    "As human beings, we're a complex thing; Sometimes so beautiful, other times so vain" - from Consequences by Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Arrow Re: What's Your Sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlancos
    I'm a Cancer. But, I'm not much into astrology so I don't really know what cancer means (I know it's not the disease, you wisenheimers ).
    http://www.elore.com/Astrology/Study/cancer.htm

Jean Anouilh, anarchist de droite, and my favourite playwriter was Cancer.

(..."On m'a traité de "fachiste", un mot que veut dire absolutement rien"...)

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 06:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: What's Your Sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Willowsprout
    Scorpions are passionate and determined but nice and loyal. So some book says so I am happy with it , Oddly enough my husband and I have the same birthday different year though . October 24
    Im thinking about getting a tattoo with our names on the tail
    see picture below

My partner & myself are both Scorpion's too.

You are not wrong, who deem / That my days have been a dream Johannes de León's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 15th, 2012 @ 12:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Baskid
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm Aquarius! the best one...

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkin
    Capricorn, the wise goat! Same birth-sign as Jesus!
    well, as you probably know, it is more probable that Jesus had born during the Spring than in December!

btw, afterall i see you used Konstantin Rodzaevsky's picture as your avatar! ---> http://www.forums.skadi.net/showpost...1&postcount=17

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 30th, 2004 @ 05:40 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    NS / Isolationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My birthday is September 9th. I have been told that is "double virgo."

And I was born in the year 1981. 9 x 9 =81.

And at 7:12 am (it says so on my birth certificate.) 7+1+2=9.

Lots of 9's!

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 @ 07:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    England, France, Germany, Ireland, Scottish, Switzerland, Wales
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

since we've gone to the topic of numbers... August 8, (8-8) at 7:36am, okay so it's not 8, but it is close. . My bday is 8-8-1983, or 8-8-83, Three 8s and a 3. My parents were both born the same year in Feb. One on the 11th and one on the 6th. 11-6 = 5. 5 x 2(mom and dad) = 10. Then 10-2=8! Okay so maybe I'm stretching it a bit As for the 7:36, I was born 6 weeks early, aka about 7 to 7 and a half months early. I don't feel like doing the math.
    I do, however have 4 cousins all born on July 25. One is a "cousin by marriage" same year as me.
    The other 3, I'm blood-related to. Two are twins, and one is the daughter of the youngest twin. Mom and daughter have the same bday.
    Needless to say there is an abundance of leos in the family. LOL.
    Last edited by Esther Helena; Monday, March 29th, 2004 at 03:54 AM. Reason: bad math. lmao
    mtDNA - H_7_a (ftDNA) H_7_a_1 (23andme)
    AbDNA - 100% Eur. 23andme: 99.99% Eur., .01% Af.
    23andme: 99.73% European, .27% African
    23andme V3 update awaiting use, got a kit for mom too.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 26th, 2004 @ 06:34 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Politics
    Creator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm a Taurus as is my bf...

Last Online
    Saturday, October 22nd, 2005 @ 12:04 AM
    Subrace
    Corded/Balkanoid UP
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Politics
    Nutzi
    Religion
    Agnostic!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I'm a virgo, and most of the women in my life ( like 90% ) are pisces. There's something fishy going on, I tells ya

Last Online
    Thursday, November 4th, 2010 @ 01:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    All Irish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada