Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Psychiatry is a Harmful and Barbaric Human Rights Violation

  1. #41
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Metropolis
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Posts
    6,670
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty goddess View Post
    I do think people with schizophrenia (verified in a brain scan), autism, and severe PTSD or post partum should be drugged though, because those are the people who could very well kill/hurt someone or do have a brain defect and can't solve their own problems.
    Is it really necessary to treat post partum depression with brain-damaging drugs? I think there was a case where a mother treated with anti-depressants for post partum ended up killing all of her kids because of the drugs made her go crazy. Post partum depression is a fact of life and soon fades away on it's own given proper family support, proper diet, and proper exercise routines.

  2. #42
    Senior Member feisty goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 07:22 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    European-American, mostly Germanic
    Subrace
    Reduced Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Age
    27
    Family
    single adult
    Occupation
    College student
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Posts
    1,313
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Kingsley View Post
    Is it really necessary to treat post partum depression with brain-damaging drugs? I think there was a case where a mother treated with anti-depressants for post partum ended up killing all of her kids because of the drugs made her go crazy. Post partum depression is a fact of life and soon fades away on it's own given proper family support, proper diet, and proper exercise routines.
    Now that I think about it, you're right but the impression I got of that from tv shows is that its really horrible and dangerous and is caused by something physical.
    Under Capitalism man exploits man; under socialism the reverse is true.

  3. #43
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Metropolis
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Posts
    6,670
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Post partum depression is most likely caused by post patum exhaustion, coupled with hormonal imbalances that result from pregnancy. The body is designed to correct these imbalances on it's own, so why cause more chaos by introducing artificial chemicals? Even hormonal therapy has proven to be inefficient. The best thing to do is to wait it out.

  4. #44
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Metropolis
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Posts
    6,670
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Psychiatrists are phoney! They only want money, and some even take pleasure in torturing patients, so they get a double kick out of their job. They get the money, and they get to satisfy their sick desires

  5. #45
    Senior Member feisty goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 07:22 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    European-American, mostly Germanic
    Subrace
    Reduced Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Age
    27
    Family
    single adult
    Occupation
    College student
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Posts
    1,313
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolichocephalic Prince View Post
    Psychiatrists are phoney! They only want money, and some even take pleasure in torturing patients, so they get a double kick out of their job. They get the money, and they get to satisfy their sick desires
    It is amazing to think about when you mention that. I said something not very smart to avoid having to take the medicine, and he recognized it as a delusion and called me "depressive." I was so angry that I kept it up, and he tried to increase the dose, but luckily my parents conned him and didn't give it to me. I did an excellent job acting like I was taking it though, he was really really mad that it wasn't having an effect, because it made him look like he made a faulty diagnosis and really he did. I've had what he would call "manic" personality traits my whole life, and it has only made me driven, I don't have anything negative associated with that. That's why I was so insulted when he told me I had "temporary mania" and shrugged it off by saying "nothing is permanent." I felt like saying yeah and so are our lives . What I really had was a kind of post traumatic stress and I was dealing with issues I wasn't emotionally mature enough to deal with. I didn't have an imbalance of any kind, except for hormones, but that's normal for teen girls especially when their period is not even regular yet and there is no need to be given brain damaging drugs, even in crisis.

    People should know that its never ever a good idea to go to psychiatrist for their problems, they will ALWAYS medicate and are not concerned with looking for any physical or emotional causes for them. Always go to a psychologist or a regular doctor.
    Under Capitalism man exploits man; under socialism the reverse is true.

  6. #46
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Metropolis
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Posts
    6,670
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolichocephalic Prince View Post
    Psychiatrists are phoney! They only want money, and some even take pleasure in torturing patients, so they get a double kick out of their job. They get the money, and they get to satisfy their sick desires
    Indeed, it takes a special breed of pervert to do a psychiatrist's job. I don't understand it.

  7. #47
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Metropolis
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Posts
    6,670
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I know a psychiatrist, he's a good man. Psychiatrists are underappreciated in my opinon.

  8. #48
    Senior Member feisty goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 07:22 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    European-American, mostly Germanic
    Subrace
    Reduced Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Age
    27
    Family
    single adult
    Occupation
    College student
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Posts
    1,313
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think I know exactly what my problem may have been associated with. I will have to do the gene test to be absolutely sure though. I was a bit embarrased and worried about revealing my personal information so I left some key things out in this thread, like that I ended up in the hospital, but I'm sure some probably figured out that was the case anyway.

    Just shortly after my meunstral cycle and developing disordered eating, I all of the sudden started to develop severe anxiety and confusion (which eventually turned into delusions and paranoia) and was very emotionally delicate. Before this I had also been prone to tears and depression for no reason (I knew there was no reason) that would come suddenly and then dissapear completely. Other times I would be fine and quite strong psychologically and then I couldn't even get out of bed. During a time I was taken to the hospital to "talk to someone" I was having diarrhea, back pain, and a bloody metallic taste on my breath and it seemed to only make me more confused and scared. I was also having terrible insomnia at the start of the attack which is a hallmark feature of this disease. I became phobic of shrinks and wouldn't talk to them ever. Bipolar disorder was suspected, but they didn't have enough evidence or common symptoms to make a real diagnosis later in "therapy" so they told me I had acute temporary mania and that I had to take a mini dose of antipsychotic/antidepressant combo for a short period to make sure it never happened again. I felt like it made me worse but they wouldn't listen.

    Would they have automatically checked for porphyria in lab tests and whatnot or even considered it, because I look at acute intermittent porphyriacs and think they have exactly what I had, especially because of the onset and confusion and hysteria that would suddenly appear and then dissapear. If I found out I have this gene and they treated me for the wrong thing would they be liable? Treating porphyriacs with psychotropics can be deadly or make it much worse.

    The people in the hospital also said they suspected something physical was going wrong, I don't know if that means they thought I had a chemical imbalance or a pathological problem in the body. Acute intermittent porphyria actually has no symptoms in most people that carry the gene, and can lie "latent." Triggers, such as meunstral hormones, fasting or low carb intake, and stress can be the only time someone shows any symptoms. I'm sure it probably had to do with the fasting in my case, because that's when the syptoms really started to show but I'm sure my recently started meunstration probably had an effect too.

    At the time of the big attack I also felt before I went to the hospital that there was something wrong with me physically (not a mental illness though) and people who have a physical defect often have an ability to sense things like this.

    Anyway, it's good to know I carry a physical, pathological defect in the body that isn't really such a big deal rather than a mental illness gene.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Gender
    Posts
    520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty goddess View Post
    I want to first say that I believe pscyhiatric drugs are a mind numbing, abusive, and harmful human rights violation that has to be stopped permanently. They do not help people with mental abnormalities, they only make the people think that they are better because the stuff basically handicaps their mind even more than it already is, like a slow and benign lobotomy. What's more, its being used on children and adolescents basically for profit, who are often poorly diagnosed and don't have any real problem at all, just personal problems. There is no real proof that these labels they come up with are legitimite, when people have repressed or confused emotions, they can become what psychiatrists call hyperactive, bipolar, schizophrenic, various personality "disorders" and the list goes on.

    Pscyhiatry is not only harmful in the sense that people are diagnosed with drugs that kill their mind and are rough on their body, but it neglects proper resolution and diagnosis of the problem. People are taught that their emotions or thoughts are the cause of genetic defect and as a result they become ashamed of themselves and repress their feelings that are meant to come out which makes the person more sick and self deprecating than ever. It is a need just like breathing to express emotions and feel comfortable with oneself.

    I would also like to say one more thing. I AM a victim of psychiatry's barbaric, abusive irrationality and shameless greed. I don't feel comfortable going into too many details, but I had a little mini crisis as a teen and was put on anti-depressive medications for a short period of time with a diagnosis of "temporary mania" *rolleyes* even though my behavior was not self-deprecating or abnormal in any way. As if a child can be judged to have something like that. Having this little hint of what psychiatry is like, I can see how difficult it is for people diagnosed with severe problems and my heart just goes out to them so much.

    This man making these pursuasive videos is a saint. He's passing on valuable information to people that are totally ignorant to the pointless destroyed lives and even deaths that they are enduring.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7NxJn9Mk4c

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n46o...eature=related
    As a nurse and behavior therapist I have some opinions on this subject, but it will have to wait until I am not so tired.

    Your argument is valid, but maybe a bit too personal and emotional. Could you sum up the points for discussion?

  10. #50
    Senior Member feisty goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 07:22 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    European-American, mostly Germanic
    Subrace
    Reduced Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Age
    27
    Family
    single adult
    Occupation
    College student
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Posts
    1,313
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Skannon View Post
    As a nurse and behavior therapist I have some opinions on this subject, but it will have to wait until I am not so tired.

    Your argument is valid, but maybe a bit too personal and emotional. Could you sum up the points for discussion?
    1. AIP is a hepatic porphyria that is caused by low levels of enzyme PGBD. It is almost always caused by an autosomnal dominant defect in a gene, which usually lays around undetected into adulthood. The low levels of the enzyme are usually not signifigant enough to cause symptoms except when triggers such as drugs, hormones, and dietary changes (I think even contaminants in the environment, but that's not relevant here) cause them. Low carbohydrate diets can inflame it and for people who are diagnosed a high carb diet is reccomended.

    2. I had severe insomnia, was very anxious and confused, had no control over my emotions for short periods of time all of the sudden, and also had short, but extreme periods of depression and crying. I had much more mild depression and anxiousness that would come on suddenly and briefly when I was 13 (usually about 48 hours or so). The problem with this was I'd be like, ok I'm better and people around me were like "you really must have a problem I don't get it" because they had no idea that it was so physical. It makes an AIP worse when you treat their mental symptoms like they have to do with a life problem because it just makes them more confused since they know it doesn't. When I started fasting, I gradually got severe insomnia, and became confused, restless, paranoid etc. and even acquired a few delusions. I stopped being productive and was very agitated (agitation is also a symptom). These are much more like what an AIP would experience than a manic depressive, IMO but there are some similarities.

    2. I'm not sure if I had any of the classic symptoms of AIP, but I do know for sure that I was very thirsty, had concentrated urine at times, back pain (which could have been from carrying a backpack), a metallic or bloody taste in my mouth (which is not necessarily a symptom but it is interesting to note), diarrhea (at times), and stomach aches (which very well could have been from not eating enough). Actually now that I remember it, a few weeks before I went to the hospital, I did have abdominal pain (the most common symptom of AIP), because I believed I had a stomach ulcer that was going to make me die, because it was so painful (lol ). I'm pretty sure you can have some symptoms and not others, and the dark urine is not very common, but it is unique to it.

    3. Many famous mentally ill people are speculated to have had AIP, such as Vincent Van Gogh and King George III. Many AIP's have been misdiagnosed as bipolar or some other mental illness because the behavior is similar and there are usually a lack of physical symptoms that health care professionals can detect. The physical symptoms when they do present themselves are also very commonplace, and could mean a lot of other things, so they were usually ignored in the old days (don't know about modern medicine).

    Sorry if I am being a bit personal again but there are a lot of things you can miss if you just list general concepts for the symptoms I had. Also keep in mind that I was only 14 and my age could have accounted for some of the mental symptoms. I was still very childish at that age.

    Here is more information because it is impossible to sum up all my points objectively in one post:

    http://www.porphyriafoundation.com/a...-porphyria/AIP

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Thursday, November 30th, 2017, 12:27 PM
  2. Do You Believe in Universal Human Rights?
    By Elenor in forum Law, Ethics, & Morals
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Wednesday, January 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •