Thread: The Right to Grow Food is As Fundamental As the Right to Free Speech.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    258 Posts

The Right to Grow Food is As Fundamental As the Right to Free Speech.

The right to grow food is as fundamental as the right to free speech. Yet there are lots of totally unnecessary laws against growing food. They threaten our food security and we should fight them by ignoring them.

Of the threats climate change and peak oil pose, we should be most worried about the threat to food. I have young nephews, and there’s not much I wouldn’t do to keep their bellies full if you catch my drift and I think you do. God knows what I’d be willing to do for my own kids. It’s good I don’t have any.

Food prices are high and rising and driving unrest the world over. One cause is crop damage due to climate change. If one degree Celsius (the warming so far) is enough to cause problems, what will 2 or 3 more degrees do? It’s unlikely to be linear; the second degree will do more damage than the first. If so, hello food shortages and unhinged uncles.

If climate change and peak oil aren’t threatening enough for you, there’s also peak phosphorus. If only one of the three threats hits hard we’ll have trouble. If two or all three hit…I’m not going to finish this sentence (sad pun).

Americans aren’t yet feeling it – our food prices haven’t jumped much, we’re rich, and we spend only a sliver of our income on food. But the blessing’s also a curse, since while other countries see the threat and prep for hardship, we sit and whistle. It’s time to get resilient. That means you, individual reader who’s busy and pretty sure there’s no time for it. I’m too busy deal with cancer but if I get cancer I’ll find the time. That’s our situation, even if you don’t believe it yet.

One of our weaknesses is that few of us know how to grow food. Among the factors keeping it that way are laws against food-production on our properties. Many cities bar residents from keeping chicken coops or beehives, or growing front-lawn vegetable gardens.

These laws are wrong. The right to grow food is as fundamental as the right to speech. We’ve allowed ourselves to become helpless on the assumption that truly hard times are over. The assumption would be shaky even without the looming threats of climate change and peak oil – history’s riddled with societies who thought they had it made just before pooping out.

We shouldn’t honor any law against safely and responsibly growing food. We should disobey.

What makes such laws good targets for civil disobedience is that breaking them isn’t a big deal. Our chickens won’t land us in the clink. Instead we’ll face whiny neighbors and maybe fines, both of which we can use as a platform from which to educate others. We’ll bring attention to our cause without heavy sacrifice. It’s got to be one the easiest kinds of civil disobedience we can do.

If you want only a little attention, put up a chicken coop/ beehive/garden where it’s not allowed and just wait for a kerfuffle. But there’s also an opportunity for the bold among us to get big attention. Here’s how:
    Put your coop/hive/garden in the most public spot on your property. If you live on a busy street, perfect.
    Put a big lawn sign up next to your transgression explaining why it’s there. Emphasize that you don’t break the law lightly.
    Don’t yield. If you’re fined, don’t pay, and be clear and open about why.
    Find kindred souls among your neighbors and break the law together. It’s easier to dismiss one person as a lunatic than it is to dismiss a group. You might even launch a city-wide effort through meetup.com or your local transition group.
    Offer to help neighbors grow their own food and advertise that offer in the sign in your yard.
    When a kerfuffle happens, don’t tamp it down. Let it evolve. Then alert local reporters about it, arrange for interviews, etc. Good activists invite publicity.
    Protip: send baskets filled with food you grew to those who most object to your project. Deliver the baskets in person. Don’t be ironic or snide. Be kind and respect their views. This was one of Gandhi’s go-to moves. He’d go hang out with enemies until they liked him in spite of themselves.

Finally: safety and aesthetics matter. The laws you’ll break have reasons for existing, be they lame (all front lawns must have grass so the neighborhood looks “nice”) or not-lame (public health risks).

So if you decide to break food-production laws, avoid accidentally justifying them. Make sure that what you do is a) pretty; and b) safe. It’s not hard, but you should do research, especially about safety. Example: before raising bees, make sure no one in your neighborhood is badly allergic to bee stings. We must look after our neighbors.

Double finally, civil disobedience only works if you’re both respectful and respectable. Be dignified and patient, never angry, never petty.
    Source http://climatepirate.com/front-yard-...food-security/

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Jute/Angle
    Subrace
    Angle/Jute
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Married
    Occupation
    Education
    Politics
    conservative/pan Nordish
    Religion
    Mysticism/Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    I have often thought about growing my own food but I need to settle in one place and learn how. I am hoping to give it a go next spring I think I can get my father in-law to teach me.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgard View Post
    I have often thought about growing my own food but I need to settle in one place and learn how. I am hoping to give it a go next spring I think I can get my father in-law to teach me.
    You dont have to start of hard, you can plant some tomatoes, herbs and strawberries. They are easy to grow and can grow inside. Chives are good herbs, they come up all the time (you dont have to reseed). There is even a chinese type which tastes like garlic (Garlic is also easy to grow, just let one boat sprout in the fridge and plant it. You can also eat the sprouts).

Recently I planted chives and chili peppers, I hope the growth season here will be long enough for the peppers.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 16th, 2011 @ 10:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-Slovak
    Ancestry
    Mother side Bavaria, Father side Bratislava
    Subrace
    2 parents trace back to Bavaria
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Married parent
    Occupation
    finance & accounting
    Politics
    they are all bankrupt to me
    Religion
    Christian, son of YAH
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our "rights" are under constant siege. In the end the only rights we have are the rights we ourselves secure. It is painfully obvious to me that they have called for a "full court press" against us & our rights.

Did you know that Idaho (iirc) & Colo (at the least) have declared rainwater the state's property? Heaven help you, if some govspy sees you collecting rainwater in your cistern & using it for your own nefarious (like watering your petunias, or asparagus e.g.) purposes.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/sam/rainwaterbills.pdf