Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Significance of Music in Your Life

How important is music to you?

You have to listen at music all the time? You use every available time, pluss some more to listen to it? Or can you manage quite well without it for some days?

Answer that question, and please do add what genre/band you listen to most, and why.

Last Online
    Friday, August 8th, 2008 @ 12:31 AM
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I listen to music whenever I can or when I feel it's appropriate. I would say it has played a large role in my life. Some artists have changed the way I see the world.

My preference is metal music, but I also enjoy a lot of other genres such as classical, folk and ambient. Some of my favourite bands are My Dying Bride, Opeth and Anathema.

What attracts me to metal music? Well, I guess it's the power behind the music and the fact that it is a genre with a lot of unique bands.

Last Online
    Friday, August 8th, 2008 @ 12:31 AM
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    NOTE: Sorry for the multiple posts! My internet connection wasn't functioning correctly, so, in my frustration, I clicked the post button more than once. Please do remove the extras.

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Music is essential for my well-being--if I don't listen to music for a day or two, I begin to lose physical and mental energy, I overeat and I begin to feel lonely even in the presence of people I love.

My tastes are eclectic--but most often I listen to Todd Rundgren, Wagner and lately a Celtic Harpist "Irminsul" (check him out online if you like).

I remember great songs as completely as I remember great meals--I take this to mean that I encode those memories via several senses as well as with a strong, vested emotional component. For example, I used to have to drive long distances. I was able to replay in my mind the entirety of Todd Rungren's "Treastise on Cosmic Fire"--35 minutes of dense instrumental composition.

What I find really interesting is the music of nature, those sounds and melodies and rhythms I sense when I'm in deep woods or lakeside away from urban areas.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs Down The significance of music............

Throughout my life since late childhood, music has been a necessity. By music, I then, and to a great extent now, mean classical music, It is the most demanding of all music. Of the performer, it demands technical skill, theoretical understanding, and emotional involvement. Of the listener, it demands concentration, understanding, and emotional response.

I prefer, when listening to classical music, to shut off the lights and/or close my eyes so that there is no visual distraction. Even in live concerts, I tend to listen with closed eyes, interesting though it often can be to watch how the performer produces those sounds. [Some performers have such weird idiosyncrasies that they are more distracting than instructive.]

Classical music needs to be listened to repeatedly because it can be appreciated on many different levels and from many different viewpoints.
    Great music, no matter how often it is heard, does not grow boring because it always has something more to be discovered by careful listening.

Program music, such as Anton Rubinstein's Kammenoi Ostrow, exists mainly on an emotional level, though it can be interesting to listen to it analytically to discover just how Rubinstein obtains those emotional effects. On the other hand, Bach's Great Fantasia in G , though it has intense emotional content, is also very intellectual. The intricacies of its counterpoint are of more than merely academic interest. Structure is such an important aspect of the piece that it cannot be ignored.

Listening to great music is NOT MERELY PASSIVE. The listener misses a great deal, perhaps, even the essence of the music, unless he/she becomes involved in it as fully as possible. I don't treat classical music as "wallpaper music" or "elevator music" which is merely there and mostly ignored. Because of the time and effort involved in listening to it as I feel it should be, I don't listen to classical music as much as I'd like to.

In addition to stimulating the emotions, which is a function of all music, great music occupies the mind and absorbs the attention. This is what I expect of classical music, this is what I get from it, and this is what I need from it.

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 03:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From an early age, music has been a prevalent factor in my life. Whether it motivates me to work, relax and meditate on etc I love music and so do my kids.

My favourite genre is rock and the best musical period would be the 60s and 70s. Led Zeppelin rules and Jimmy Page was the most kick-arse guitarist!

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Music is very important to me and my mental health.

I had Disintagration and The Last of the Mohicans playing during the birth of my daughter and Last of the Mohicans and DreamCypher and Birthday playing during my son's.

Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Thursday, April 21st, 2016 @ 09:44 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Wow thats a hard question to answer but a good one all the same. Music is not only important in my life it is my life. I listen to music every spare minute i have. I cant walk to the shop which is two minute walk away without grabbing my i-pod to the trip.

Metal is my first choice but so many other types of music bring out so many different moods and feelings. So many bands have changed my live in so many ways for so many different reasons its very hard to put into words.

Growing up i didnt have many friends outside of school because i was sent to the country to stay with my grandparents any free time i had. Something im glad of now but not then as i learned so much from my grandfather. But when i discovered metal in my uncles bedroom while is was in work one day it opened my mind so much more and helped me through the loneliness of growing up. Im forever greatful to Metal for helping me through those years and the years up to now. Even now at almost 27 years of age i can count all my friends on one hand most of which i dont even see i still count on Metal to pull me through when times are hard.

I always love when parents hear that their kids like Metal they first think its only a phase that youll grow out of not realising how much it helps the people that love it so much. If it was not for music im certain that i would never of found my fate because when i love a band i wanna know everything about them and when i discovered Black Metal i fell in love with Norway and in turn wanted to find out more about Norway and its people and here i am.

As i said music to me is a lifestyle not just something thats there in the background for casual use. If i cant listen to it im thinking of it what it means what the lyrics are saying to me.

As for what bands thats also hard but just to name a few Primordial, My Dying Bride, Darkthrone , Isis , Neurosis, Forefather all the way down to Tom Waits.
    Improvement makes straight roads but the crooked roads without improvment are roads of genius-----
    William Blake

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts
    Music is one of my main interests and I enjoy classical, different genres of metal, rock, some ambient and folk & neofolk.
    I have a large collection of records with mostly blackmetal. At home I listen to music on my stereo or PC alot and when im out I often have my MP3-player with me. Music can stir different feelings in me, longing, agression, hatred, sadness, happiness, and solitude. My sister always listened to rock but we didnt hear much when growing up. My mother is a big Beatles fan so listened to that as a kid. I had some friends that liked rock and heavy metal and thats how I started listening to it myself. Also had a teacher that loved Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc. and used to play it for us in class, which was very cool. I think metal and especially maybe Darkthrone and Immortal and Burzum inspired me to connect more with nature and past, even though I liked forests (I was in the boy scouts for 7 years) and nature long before I listened to metal. Didnt grow up with christian parents and I have always thought there was something fishy about christianity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Music is of prime importance to me, and one of my main interests. I enjoy many types of music, but electronic music is perhaps my favourite genre, though folk rates very highly, too. My parents have fairly eclectic musical tastes, so I was influenced by them in my formative years, and I also appreciate when friends introduce me to new types of music.
    Let us not desire delights, daughters; we are well-off here; the bad inn lasts for only a night.
    -St. Teresa of Avila

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast