Poll: Should the Skadi Scotland forum be removed?

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Skadi Scotland Forum Be Removed?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts

Should the Skadi Scotland Forum Be Removed?

Non-binding, unofficial poll, naturally.

Some people have been arguing about it, and since no one has made a poll to see what the general opinion is,

Quote Originally Posted by Peoples Observer View Post
    To Sigurd :

Since by your own admission the Lowland Scots are more likely to have Germanic blood and culture, why don't you remove the "Scotland" section of the Forum and re-title it "Lowland Scots".

By your own facts only about half of the country of Scotland could be classed as partially Germanic.

This hardly qualifies the "Scotland" section as being Germanic.

I can agree with you that the Lowland Scots have more Germanic blood than the Highland Scots. But since they both make up the population of Scotland its really misleading to label them as a "Germanic" nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Because as a forum for Germanic preservation, we consider it self-explanatory that our Scotland section is to be used primarily for reference to its Germanic influence, rather than any other influence.

Otherwise, we shouldn't even have a South Africa section, because Germanics are in the minority when compared to several other ethnic groups there. We would have to rename it into "Western Cape, parts of Eastern Caple, Orania and Transvaal" or something.

Thing is, we don't do that, because it's self-evident that as a Germanic forum, we deal with the Germanic portion of the South Africans, and that we're not intending to have hundreds of threads about Hottentot, Zulu or other bushman culture. Likewise, it should be self-evident that the Scotland section is primarily aimed at Scotland's Germanic heritage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch_Bearer View Post
    That's a bad analogy. Anyone with half a brain would know that the interest of South Africa in this forum has to do with its White inhabitants, who also happen to be of predominately Germanic extraction.

There is no such clear-cut distinction between "Celtic Scotland" and "Germanic Scotland."

I won't lose any sleep over whether or not a Skadi devotes a sub-forum to Scotland as a Germanic nation alongside nations such Sweden, Germany, etc. My point is simply that I don't consider Scotland to be predominately Germanic nation; the average Scotsman is more related to an Irishman than he is to any given continental Germanic. Likewise, if there was a forum devoted exclusively to Celtic preservation, it would be entirely bizarre if Scotland was not included on it.

If you ask me, I think the "England" sub-forum could accommodate the Germanic folks in Scotland, most of whom are cut from the Anglo-Saxon cloth anyhow. After all, perhaps it would be in the best interest of Germanic preservation if Germanic Lowlanders and English folks banded together in a common struggle to defend their heritage from the Celtic savages?

Like I said though, ultimately I don't really care whether or not the folks here include Scotland as a Germanic nation, but my sense is that for many people it does make for a proverbial "elephant in the room" on this forum. Hence this lengthy thread. You won't find this kind of controversy surrounding the other European nations classified as Germanic on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Méldmir View Post
    If we should vote, then I would probably vote to have it removed. Scotland is as much Celtic as Wales and Ireland, unlike England that has a strong Anglo-Saxon (and other Germanic) heritage.

Edit:

This is how I see it

England: Germanic with some Celtic influences (ex Cornwall) = Germanic

Scotland: Celtic with some Germanic influences (like Orkney/Shetland) = Non-Germanic

It goes for other countires as well

Sweden: Germanic with minor Finno-Ugric influences (Lapland) = Germanic

Finland: Finno-Ugric with some Germanic influences (Western coast) = Non-Germanic.

So in a perfect world, Sweden would give Lapland to Finland and England could give Cornwall to Wales Although I can't say I know much about how Cornwall is in a Germanic/Celtic perspective, maybe someone can tell me more about it.
    More in this thread:
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=40754

I think there is definitely some confusion about the Skadi Scotland section. I've seen some threads about the Gaelic heritage of Scotland there, and I think this has nothing to do with the Germanic nature of Skadi.

The poll is anonymous. I hope the staff will allow it since they're not obligated to act according to the opinion of members.

Last Online
    Friday, November 22nd, 2019 @ 06:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    student
    Politics
    Conservative/Libertarian
    Religion
    Mormon/Noahide/Eastern thoughts
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Why should I care about this?

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    No, but there should be a sticky or FAQ to inform people it's only about Scotland's Germanic heritage.

And, to add, those Gaelic threads should be removed or moved to another forum. Gaelic threads shouldn't be allowed there. I agree if we have Scotland as a Germanic forum, it should be about Germanic things and not Celtic.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoppoyz View Post
    Why should I care about this?
    Because as a member of a Germanic forum you should contribute with feedback? I don't know, if you don't care, just vote you don't care. It's not compulsory or something.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 30th, 2010 @ 12:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scottish
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Single parent
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bärin View Post
    No, but there should be a sticky or FAQ to inform people it's only about Scotland's Germanic heritage.

And, to add, those Gaelic threads should be removed or moved to another forum. Gaelic threads shouldn't be allowed there. I agree if we have Scotland as a Germanic forum, it should be about Germanic things and not Celtic.
    I agree 100% the vast majority of people in Scotland have nothing at all to do with the Gaels in fact most of us laugh at them and their quaint customs

Last Online
    Friday, November 1st, 2019 @ 09:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-African
    Ancestry
    English
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Preservation of diversity
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    There is nonetheless some "Celtomania" among the Scottish. Just like the Irish, many Scotsmen despise the English.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Africa View Post
    There is nonetheless some "Celtomania" among the Scottish. Just like the Irish, many Scotsmen despise the English.
    Yes, that is pretty good reason in my opinion. In order to be considered a certain ethnicity, the people must to some degree themselves acknowledge that they are.

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Méldmir View Post
    Yes, that is pretty good reason in my opinion. In order to be considered a certain ethnicity, the people must to some degree themselves acknowledge that they are.
    So then the Austrians and Swiss-Germans aren't German? And the Negroes in the USA are American? What about the Turks in Germany who consider themselves Swabian?

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bärin View Post
    So then the Austrians and Swiss-Germans aren't German? And the Negroes in the USA are American? What about the Turks in Germany who consider themselves Swabian?
    I only said it was a part of it, if the Scottish have a strong Celtic heritage and every Scot feel they are an Celt in their hearts, who could say they are Germanic?

Last Online
    Friday, November 22nd, 2019 @ 06:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    student
    Politics
    Conservative/Libertarian
    Religion
    Mormon/Noahide/Eastern thoughts
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Because as a member of a Germanic forum you should contribute with feedback? I don't know, if you don't care, just vote you don't care. It's not compulsory or something.
    Well, Scotland is fluenced by Germanic heritage. Some Vikings moved to Scotland and Ireland.

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast